$500 Enough?

cottonadam

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Thailand in a month or so. I'm thinking I'll be there for 3 months. For the first month or so I plan on traveling around and doing some of the Tourist-y things all around Thailand. After that I would like just to settle down in a quiet bungalow near the beach on the coast or on an island somewhere. I plan on living quite frugally and don't need anything too fancy at all. Just the basics would be fine with me. I don't plan on partying, just some outdoor recreating will be fine with me.

Anyways my question is do you think it's possible to live like this on $500 per month??

Thanks,

Adam

It's possible, but you'll certainly have to live frugally.

Your first month may work out a little expensive. Although transport's cheap in Thailand, if you intend seeing a significant amount of the country it will soon add up. A little info on where you intend visiting would be useful.

Regarding renting a bungalow. Non air-con bungalows with a cold shower are available on islands like Koh Samui for as little as 300 baht a night. If you intend staying for up to a month you may be able to negotiate a discount. If you're prepared to purchase food from the street vendors you should get by adequately on 100 baht a day.

While staying for three months is feasible, why not make it a two-month trip. With a little 'party money' you'll have a much more enjoyable time.

I'm thinking I'll be there for 3 months.

Anyways my question is do you think it's possible to live like this on $500 per month?? 

Thanks,

Adam

I'd much rather do 1 month at 1500 per, but hey, that's me. :o

The answer to your question is yes.

/// dfw

500$ is about 20,000 bht i think (is it still about 40 bht/$ ?).

You will be really struggling on this for a 3 month holiday espcially if you want to do the more touristy things the first month.

If you get somewhere on the beach for 300 bht (as someone sugested) thats 9000 bht a month you still have to eat and have transport (rent a bike or tuk tuks)

Try for 2 months and give yourself a bit of leway.

G'day, Adam!!

Yes, you can get 150/night for bungalow at Koh Chang called "Lonely Beach".. there's lots of young foreigner that you may find some friend there.

But there's no electrics, I means No Light, No Fan, etc., and public restroom and bathroom. BTW, it's reasonable price.

Enjoy your trip here!! and WELCOME TO THAILAND..

Zenzer

The answer to your question is yes. My question, tho, is "why would you want to?"

$500 is 20,000 Baht per month.

I stay up country and can live and support a family on 15,000 Baht per month. This is possible, but I spend 30,000 Baht per month cos to exist on 15,000 would be just that, EXISTING. (in Farang terms anyway)

If I was faced with having to live on 20,000 I would be off to the UK to earn some more, so that I could do more than exist.

If this is your first trip to Thailand, I wouldn't even consider coming with such a low budget. Work and save up some more.

I would say the absolute minimum for a first time visitor wanting to do the touristy things would be 50,000 Baht a month.

Good luck whatever you do. :o