Thai Banks Online

I've been with the Thai Farmers Bank for years and last year saw their "online banking" service advertised. To cut a long one short, it took forever to set it up, and then I discovered that their idea of "online banking" provided me with ... only the balance in my savings account!

I'd like to be with a Thai bank that has an online service that shows me a statement of deposits and withdrawals in and out of my account.

Does anyone know of a bank that does this?

Things like transfering money or payments to a third party are a secondary consideration for me.

Advice greatly welcomed!

Rob

Bangkok Bank does all of the above.

But only if you are Thai.

If you have a work permit they may let you have online banking access but forget it is you are simply a "normal person".

I had to open an account in both names (wife and myself) in order to be able to access the feature, my application resulted in them declining it as I am not Thai enough :D:o:D

According to Bangkok Bank web site you do not need to be Thai or have a work permit:

*Only foreign nationals with a resident Baht account holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit or certificate of residence are eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking.

Hmmm. I rather thought this might be the general direction of the replies ...

In similar vein, my friend here finally managed to get finance on a new Vios. After 3 years of regular and unbroken monthly repayments, he applied for 1 year credit terms on a Tesco Lotus 42 inch plasma TV, with the same company. They turned him down.

Rob

According to Bangkok Bank web site you do not need to be Thai or have a work permit:
*Only foreign nationals with a resident Baht account holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit or certificate of residence are eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking.

erm ... don't you mean "you do not need to be Thai but do need to have a work permit"?

I've had a really good experience with Krungsri bank. Their online system is very simple to use, seems secure to me, and offers all the things you mentioned. I even transfer money home to Canada every month online for 800 baht (UOB charged me 1200 baht, and I had to provide my passport and workpermit every single time _plus_ I had to actually mail in the documents).

Yes, I do have a work permit, so I guess that's a bit different.

Anyway, Krungsri is the way for me, now.

BFD!

Kasikorn Bank offers a very good full Internet Banking service to anyone with an account.

totster :o

That's my bank - Thai Farmers - that I've been whinging about!

Maybe things have changed!

R

I have 3 accounts with SCB and their EasyNet online banking. I have used the system for almost 3 years and it gets better each year,,,,,,,,,,,,as good as my USA bank's system. I transfer funds to and from my accounts, other SCB accounts, 3rd party bank accounts, pay bills and all the usual stuff with no hassles,,, there are service fees for some transfers to other 3rd party accounts,,,,,,,top up my phone and receive wire transfers from the USA,,,,,,,,,,,,it shows a screen to do international transfers but I have never tried to do,,,,,,,,,no need

SCB works for me

Kasikorn Bank offers a very good full Internet Banking service to anyone with an account.

Is it that good?

To me it is the crapiest Internet banking I have ever seen (my wife has it, not me).

Whatever you try to do, it requires OTP (One Time Password) that is sent as SMS to your mobile as soon as their system senses you are doing transfers or account setups.

How can you do that from outside of Thailand? Roaming for 60$ per month just to receive that 6-minutes valid password?

She has BKK Bank Internet Banking too, it's fantastic compared to Kashikorn although I think even that one is rubbish compared to Oz banks.

That's my bank - Thai Farmers - that I've been whinging about!

Maybe things have changed!

R

Yes it is..

I have been using the internet banking for a long time and can remember it very easy to set up, can check balance, view statements, transfer funds (including interbank), definitely as good as my UK accounts Ibanking.

Also features the webcard that can be used for online purchases.

Brilliant

totster :D

I've been with the Thai Farmers Bank for years and last year saw their "online banking" service advertised. To cut a long one short, it took forever to set it up, and then I discovered that their idea of "online banking" provided me with ... only the balance in my savings account!

I'd like to be with a Thai bank that has an online service that shows me a statement of deposits and withdrawals in and out of my account.

Does anyone know of a bank that does this?

Things like transfering money or payments to a third party are a secondary consideration for me.

Advice greatly welcomed!

Rob

Krung Thai Bank, the Government Bank, covers what you want too and I am not a government employee.

Whatever you try to do, it requires OTP (One Time Password) that is sent as SMS to your mobile as soon as their system senses you are doing transfers or account setups.

It's a good security measure, not unlike some banks are starting tio use in the west. (Nationwide users now have to use a password generator thingy).

The way around it is to setup the account to use a "pin2" . the drawback is that new accounts have to be added via post to BKK, but if the accounts are already added using the OTP first then no problem. Then just use the pin2 when making a tranfer.

Also, you can use a prepaid sim when overseas to get your OTP, just use the sim when you want to do banking. Easy

erm ... don't you mean "you do not need to be Thai but do need to have a work permit"?

No that is not what I mean. "or certificate of residence"

It's a good security measure, not unlike some banks are starting tio use in the west. (Nationwide users now have to use a password generator thingy).

The way around it is to setup the account to use a "pin2" . the drawback is that new accounts have to be added via post to BKK, but if the accounts are already added using the OTP first then no problem. Then just use the pin2 when making a tranfer.

Also, you can use a prepaid sim when overseas to get your OTP, just use the sim when you want to do banking. Easy

It's not easy at all, now that you said it it looks even more complicated. None of that exists with Bangkok Bank Internet banking, it's just like Westpac or Comm Bank in Oz.

The "secure thingy" is called RSA KeyFob and those really concerned have acquired that security layer and distributed the keyfobs to their customers. No SMSs, no prepaid cards, no roaming, nothing.

Not sure if it is only me, but Kasikorn does not let me login neither from home or work in Japan, although from work it does show the login screen but never let me past it (other western banks and japanese citibank have no troubles with that). Has anyone actually used Kasikorn internet banking outside of Thailand, with all the hells of SMS temp passwords?

Has anyone actually used Kasikorn internet banking outside of Thailand, with all the hells of SMS temp passwords?

Yes, with no problems.

Each to their own, I don't find it a problem at all, others may.

I have 3 accounts with SCB and their EasyNet online banking. I have used the system for almost 3 years and it gets better each year,,,,,,,,,,,,as good as my USA bank's system. I transfer funds to and from my accounts, other SCB accounts, 3rd party bank accounts, pay bills and all the usual stuff with no hassles,,, there are service fees for some transfers to other 3rd party accounts,,,,,,,top up my phone and receive wire transfers from the USA,,,,,,,,,,,,it shows a screen to do international transfers but I have never tried to do,,,,,,,,,no need

SCB works for me

I agree. The SCB online service has all the features the OP mentioned. I opened mine without a work permit, just a 1 Year O visa. However it's best to go to a main barnch (not a little one in a shopping mall) with a Thai friend to open the account.

Is it that good?

To me it is the crapiest Internet banking I have ever seen (my wife has it, not me).

Seconded. I set up internet banking with Kasikorn a few months ago and only used it a couple of times because i found it so awkward, fiddly and annoying to use. Nothing like as sleek and easy as my UK banks.

I've had an account with Bangkok Bank for 20 years +. Have never had problems with them and activating iBanking was straight forward. I use it for all my bill payments, checking my account balances, etc. I can add new transfer accounts or payment accounts online using the SMS password facility they recently set up. Can even do banking via mobile phone.

Dont be frustrated with the one time password when you perform payment trx from your online service.

This is known as 2FA or two factor authentication and serves to add an xtra layer of security in case someone gets to know your id and password which is your first line of defence (and only line of defence in some internet banking accounts).

Would strongly recommend you ask your bank what level of security exists for their internet banking architecture and only accept this extra layer. Personally I would go thru the hassle of changing banks than to run the security risk.

Embrace the protection!

Edited by Ducati

I use UOB and have no complaints. Can pay down credit card, most bills etc, altho have to go to ATM for third party transfers not on the system

Yep. I'm a satisfied customer too. Feel safer with a Singapore bank particularly after Samak's remarks.

Is it that good?

How can you do that from outside of Thailand? Roaming for 60$ per month just to receive that 6-minutes valid password?

She has BKK Bank Internet Banking too, it's fantastic compared to Kashikorn although I think even that one is rubbish compared to Oz banks.

They will send the OTP to your e-mail address if you ask them but you have to ask them every 3 weeks which is a bit annoying.

Otherwise if you change your security settings you can turn off the OTP and just use a Password but thats annoying because then some transactions like adding extra accounts needs you to fax them.

100 % Agreed plus their Excellent customer services in the bank and even on the Phone.

Edit: to get a Thai verified paypal account is a breeze as well.

Edited by kmufti