Vine Wall Cover

We're building a 2 meter high by 200 meter long wall along one of property boundaries that I want to have covered in some type of vine.

Property is located near Kaho Yai National Park and would appreciate any advice on types of vines that would grow relatively fast and need minimum maintenance.

Thanks

We're building a 2 meter high by 200 meter long wall along one of property boundaries that I want to have covered in some type of vine.

Property is located near Kaho Yai National Park and would appreciate any advice on types of vines that would grow relatively fast and need minimum maintenance.

Thanks

You say "wall" so I take it that it is a concrete block construction, is the vine covering for camoflage ,aesthetic ,or security purposes and do you intend planting on the sunny or shady side?

FWIW, in the Nakhon Sawan area I've noticed a lot of Morning Glories. My grandma used to raise them in Ohio as a wall covering, but you do have to provide a lattice type device to allow neat growing. Also, at least in Ohio where it has a nice hard winter, you have to replant yearly. Don't know about Thailand though (supposedly they're perennial plants)......

FWIW, in the Nakhon Sawan area I've noticed a lot of Morning Glories. My grandma used to raise them in Ohio as a wall covering, but you do have to provide a lattice type device to allow neat growing. Also, at least in Ohio where it has a nice hard winter, you have to replant yearly. Don't know about Thailand though (supposedly they're perennial plants)......

Dave, I would have reservations with having Morning Glory near a National Park.

Quote>

In some places such as Australian bushland morning glories develop thick roots and tend to grow in dense thickets. They can quickly spread by way of long creeping stems. By crowding out, blanketing and smothering other plants, morning glory has turned into a serious invasive weed problem.

I believe it or some varieties is also classed as a noxious weed in some areas of the US.

Dave, I would have reservations with having Morning Glory near a National Park.

Quote>

In some places such as Australian bushland morning glories develop thick roots and tend to grow in dense thickets. They can quickly spread by way of long creeping stems. By crowding out, blanketing and smothering other plants, morning glory has turned into a serious invasive weed problem.

I believe it or some varieties is also classed as a noxious weed in some areas of the US.

That's a good point. As I posted earlier, and would like to reiterate, I've only had experience growing them in a cold climate. Obviously I hadn't considered the fact that Morning Glory is not a native species, and as such I probably should not have recommended them.

Thanks

You say "wall" so I take it that it is a concrete block construction, is the vine covering for camoflage ,aesthetic ,or security purposes and do you intend planting on the sunny or shady side?

Ozzydom,

Yes, it's a concrete wall. Purpose of the vines would be aesthetic only and would be on the south side of the wall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks

Ozzydom,

Yes, it's a concrete wall. Purpose of the vines would be aesthetic only and would be on the south side of the wall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TR, Climbing Jasmine and Bleeding Hearts are pretty easy to get going although any climber (apart from sucker feet type like Ivy) will need support on a 2m blank wall.

The easy way would be ,say 3 rows of horizontal wires. just drive concrete nails in to the wall and twist small gauge gal wire around the nails.

You could even use Bouganvilleas of different colours . A bit of judicious pruning to get the limbs growing up and along the wall and you have a multi coloured burglar barrier.

Hi Two Roads,

My suggestion is Ficus pumila (common name = creeping fig, Thai name = "teen tukae"). Attached is a picture of crepping fig that I planted to cover a concrete block wall next to my front gate. No supports required - just climbs up the wall like a "tukae" lizard. Not particularly fast to establish and not entirely maintenance free (after it has covered the wall it benefits from an ocassional trimming like a hedge but less often than a real hedge). It can easily be grown from cuttings since the stems already have aerial roots. To keep it growing through the dry season, you can lay a strip of drip tape (e.g. available from a Global DIY store) along the base of the wall and attach to a water source.

Best regards,

JB.

post-22225-1210938267_thumb.jpg