Need To Open New Thai Bank Account

Mobi

I have had hassle free banking at Kasikorn Thai for a number of years, but a company, with whom I am doing personal business, has requested that I open an account with either Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayudhaya, or Siam Commercial Bank.

I need to do this quite quickly, and rather than having to traipse around Pattaya trying to find a 'farang friendly', branch, can anyone recommend a particular branch where they opened an account with the minimum of fuss?

I have a retirement visa.

I have had hassle free banking at Kasikorn Thai for a number of years, but a company, with whom I am doing personal business, has requested that I open an account with either Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayudhaya, or Siam Commercial Bank.

I need to do this quite quickly, and rather than having to traipse around Pattaya trying to find a 'farang friendly', branch, can anyone recommend a particular branch where they opened an account with the minimum of fuss?

Go to immigration, get a letter of residency, and take that with your money to Siam Commercial bank with your passport and they will open a savings account for you. SCB is one of the better banks in Thailand and even have customer service.

Barry

Go to immigration, get a letter of residency, and take that with your money to Siam Commercial bank with your passport and they will open a savings account for you. SCB is one of the better banks in Thailand and even have customer service.

Barry

Thanks Barry, can you recommend any particular Branch?

I have a yellow house book, which hopefully will be sufficient as proof of residence.

It's completely unnecessary to get a "letter of residency" to open a bank account. Why hand out false information like that?

Siam Commercial Bank and Bank of Ayudhaya on Soi Nern Plub Wan, for example, just require a passport with a visa of at least 60 days. I'm sure you wouldn't have to go all the way there to open an account though. I think most branches of the banks you mentioned would let you open an account with a passport and retirement visa. Just go to your nearest branch and it's almost certain they'll open an account within a few minutes.

It's completely unnecessary to get a "letter of residency" to open a bank account. Why hand out false information like that?

Siam Commercial Bank and Bank of Ayudhaya on Soi Nern Plub Wan, for example, just require a passport with a visa of at least 60 days. I'm sure you wouldn't have to go all the way there to open an account though. I think most branches of the banks you mentioned would let you open an account with a passport and retirement visa. Just go to your nearest branch and it's almost certain they'll open an account within a few minutes.

Not necessarily false information, check their websites for a list of requirements.

The problem with opening an account over here is that the requirements vary from branch to branch, and from bank to bank. When I opened an account at SCB opposite Tops I needed a certificate of residency, but when I opened an account at Kasikorn on Soi Bukheow they only wanted to see my passport. I had a friend who was refused an account at Bangkok Bank even though he had a work-permit.

What the OP was asking for was personal experiences so that he didn't have to drag around various banks discovering their individual requirements. In this case I would concur that SCB on 2nd road will require a certificate of residency.

Not false information, but fact. What you are offering is supposition.

Edited by sweetchariot

Rather premature to jump on members. :o

From Bangkok Bank web site:

"If you are working or living in Thailand or just moving here, we can help to set up a new bank account for you quickly and easily. With a long-term visa and a work permit or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking services like phone banking and internet banking. "

"Foreign individual customers can open a resident Baht account with any of Bangkok Bank branches across Thailand. You need to bring along your passport together with relevant documents as follows:

1. If you are working in Thailand, you need to bring a work permit.

2. If you are living in Thailand, you need to bring a residence permit or a Certificate of Residence. "

Bangkok Bank

What they say on their websites and what they do in their branches are two completely different things.

When I was looking around no bank in Pattaya required a certificate of residence. Of course the main branch in a large city is more likely to strictly follow the rules, so just go to a smaller branch. That's a lot easier than wasting time trying to get hold of a Certificate of Residence.

I have accounts at Bank of Ayudhya (Soi Nern Plub Wan), Krung Thai Bank (Central Road) and Bangkok Bank (Second Road).

I opened all of them with passport only. I was not able to get a checking account but did get savings accounts with an ATM card. That's what I needed anyway.

Checking accounts required work visas and would probably require residency verification.

SCB opposite Tops on second road, never too busy and great service.

All you need is your passport and a few hundred Baht, (my experience).

Naka.

Edited by naka

If for someone reason you are really having a problem opening a bank account, ask around at some real estate offices and pose as a potential customer. They will sometimes have Thai staff who will accompany you into their bank to help you open an account. Because the real estate office has a good relationship with their bank, that would usually do the trick.

Edited by Jingthing

Naka.

So now you already have to pay tea money in a bank?

Siam commercial bank at big c north pattaya requested today a certificate of residence to open a savings account.

Update.

Went today to siam commercial bank in soi khao talo.No questions asked about work permit or residence certificate.Just opened an account in minutes.

Then went to bank of ayudhya on pattya tai.

The following conversation took place.

lady:You have one year visa sir?

me: take a look at my passport please( i only have non-B multiple entry)

lady:sir you only have 1 month visa

Me: that is a cambodian visa you looking at.Look my visa shows must be utilized before august 2008 and was issued august 2007 so that's 1 year.

Lady:then it's ok.

walked out of the bank within a few minutes with my new account book. :o

Naka.

So now you already have to pay tea money in a bank?

No, just some money to put into the new account and a couple hundred for the card :o

Naka.

Thank you one and all for the "local information" on Bank Accounts. :o

I was fully aware, from previous threads, and even in the Bangkok Post, that every branch of every bank in Thailand is a law unto itself when it comes to farangs opening accounts.

It certainly seems that branches in Pattaya are far more farang friendly than their counterparts in Bangkok, where many farangs have no end of problems opening accounts.

I've opened bank accounts with both SCB and BKKB in Bangkok with just a multi entry long-term visa and my passport. They wanted a "permanent" address for the account record, but no kind of formal documentation...

One SCB branch refused without a work permit, which I did not have. Another SCB branch opened the account just fine, after I talked to their call centre and the centre advised no work permit required...

BKK Bank was the easiest of all. Their branch on Sukhumvit never asked about a work permit at all, or residence certificate... Just wanted to see passport and visa.