Warning! Beware Of Phnom Penh!

After touring Cambodia, I decided to apply for a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa at the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. I needed to get this in order to apply for a one-year extension "settlement after retirement" or so-called retirement-visa later.

I am Swiss, educated, well off, over 50 years old and I had a letter from the Embassy of Switzerland in Bangkok stating that I wish to retire in Thailand. I also had more than sufficient proof of my financial status, more than 800'00 Baht in a Thai Bank and a letter of guarantee by the bank.

Nevertheless, my application was refused right away. The Consul explained to me that although there was nothing wrong with my papers, his embassy did not feel responsible to accept my application. He told me that I had no business in Cambodia and therefore had nothing to look for at the Thai Embassy there. "The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is for Cambodians only," he went on. Then he told me to apply for my visa in Bern, Switzerland.

He further argued, that I should have gone to Laos and applied at the Embassy in Vientiane, because it was closer to the place where I live (in Northern Thailand).

No argument could make him change his mind.

Guess that's the way they're making us all 30-days walkers - whether we like it or not.

So, for heavens sake, don't waste your time in Phnom Penh!

And if you think about retiring in Thailand or even becoming a screwed member of an ELITE-Card - YOU BETTER THINK TWICE!

After touring Cambodia, I decided to apply for a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa at the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. I needed to get this in order to apply for a one-year extension "settlement after retirement" or so-called retirement-visa later.

I am Swiss, educated, well off, over 50 years old and I had a letter from the Embassy of Switzerland in Bangkok stating that I wish to retire in Thailand. I also had more than sufficient proof of my financial status, more than 800'00 Baht in a Thai Bank and a letter of guarantee by the bank.

Nevertheless, my application was refused right away. The Consul explained to me that although there was nothing wrong with my papers, his embassy did not feel responsible to accept my application. He told me that I had no business in Cambodia and therefore had nothing to look for at the Thai Embassy there. "The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is for Cambodians only," he went on. Then he told me to apply for my visa in Bern, Switzerland.

He further argued, that I should have gone to Laos and applied at the Embassy in Vientiane, because it was closer to the place where I live (in Northern Thailand).

No argument could make him change his mind.

Guess that's the way they're making us all 30-days walkers - whether we like it or not.

So, for heavens sake, don't waste your time in Phnom Penh!

And if you think about retiring in Thailand or even becoming a screwed member of an ELITE-Card - YOU BETTER THINK TWICE!

Phnom Penh the worst place to go for a non immigrant, you should go to penang or laos. you don't need to fly back to Switzerland for a thai visa unless you want to.

There are several nearby consular office that have a reputation for being tough. My assumption about why this is has always been that some poo-yai at the office-in-question doesn't that location to become a visa mill, so the staff are instructed to be hard-nosed and routinely reject visa applications that would be perfectly acceptable most anywhere else.

I was once in the consular office for Pakistan in Los Angeles, and watched the consulate staff explain to a Pakistani holding a Canadian passport (albeit living in US), that he would have to return to Canada to get a visa to return to Pakistan for his mother's funeral.

I think it depends on how big of sticklers/a-holes they want to be.

Think if Thailand really wanted to crack down, instead of a few renegades making your life difficult. :o

I guess he said it as it is. Hit the nail on the head. Your sole purpose for being there was to obtain a thai visa. I guess they are getting tired of foreigners abusing the countries hospitality on the premise of being a tourist then living like a resident.

It is not the abuse by a few but many for a long time. They have an adundance of

foreigners from all nations rich and poor seeking employment and cheap living.

The bar is being raised either have a useful degree with experience or decent retirement wage. The amount of people wanting to live in Thailand the last 10 years has been growing astronomical. It is coming to a point where everyone will be required to get their visa in their home country unless you can prove a legitimate reason for being in the country you are trying to obtain one.

You don't see this problem in neighboring countries, why. Thailand is a small country out growing its ability to expand its infastructure as cheap and plentiful

as years before. The next ten years will be interesting, kind of hard telling locals they can't have fuel but foreigners can. Resentiment is becoming ripe with the younger generation.

I guess he said it as it is. Hit the nail on the head. Your sole purpose for being there was to obtain a thai visa. I guess they are getting tired of foreigners abusing the countries hospitality on the premise of being a tourist then living like a resident.

It is not the abuse by a few but many for a long time. They have an adundance of

foreigners from all nations rich and poor seeking employment and cheap living.

The bar is being raised either have a useful degree with experience or decent retirement wage. The amount of people wanting to live in Thailand the last 10 years has been growing astronomical. It is coming to a point where everyone will be required to get their visa in their home country unless you can prove a legitimate reason for being in the country you are trying to obtain one.

You don't see this problem in neighboring countries, why. Thailand is a small country out growing its ability to expand its infastructure as cheap and plentiful

as years before. The next ten years will be interesting, kind of hard telling locals they can't have fuel but foreigners can. Resentiment is becoming ripe with the younger generation.

I am Swiss, educated, well off, over 50 years old and I had a letter from the Embassy of Switzerland in Bangkok stating that I wish to retire in Thailand. I also had more than sufficient proof of my financial status, more than 800'000 Baht in a Thai Bank and a letter of guarantee by the bank.

It's amazing what happens when you actually take the time to read a post, Khun Question Mark. It certainly looks like he was applying for a retirement visa according to the requirements of Thai law. Perhaps in your rush to condemn all foreigners, you might want to consider slowing down a bit while reading posts.

:o

remember, in most parts of the world and for most embassies of whatever nationality, the rule is that for long term visa's, migration etc etc, the application should be made in your country of residence (unless the country has a reciprocal agreement to waive this rule - eg australia - UK for working holdiday visas).

Given the mai pen rai attitiude of Thai's, many Thai embassies and consulates will most likely bend this rule. However, it is the rule, so you can't really complain when the bloke at the embassy is following standard diplomatic proceedure.

You can only apply for retirement visa inside thailand and must be on other than

30 day entry permit ( at least this is my understanding or mis of the rules). I understand his situation and what he is doing, just getting the 60 day visa so he can comply with

filing for retirement visa. As the consulate has said they are not there to provide

support to non cambodians or others that for no reason other than a visa run

appear for service. If the guy would of lived in Cambo for some time then the case may be different. This is quite common now days with all countries and nothing new on the rules. Do you realize how many are coming out of the bushes

trying to finally get legal by fastest cheapest means available ( local country consulates).

How many people do you think are showing up at consulates other than their own country that have visas as being in thailand for several years. Kind of a swipe back at the ones that may have been bending the rules for years in the past.

Those that have been cutting the corners may not be afforded the same in the future and have a trip home in the near future to get what they should of had years before. Maybe a few purples may of got the favor maybe not. I would venture to say the guy at the consulates pay will not show the difference one way or the other. How would you react to a person that has bent your government rules for years shows up for your help making 10 to 20 times more than you do.

samran is right and it is spelled out directly in the requirements for an O-A visa on the MFA web site:

Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.   

If you want to obtain a retirement (long stay) extension inside Thailand you need only have a valid visa of any type (not 30 day entry without visa) to have it changed by immigration.

samran is right and it is spelled out directly in the requirements for an O-A visa on the MFA web site:

Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted. 

The LA Consulate, however, marches to its own drummer -- how dare the MFA dictate to them about allowing greencard holders to soil their doorway.

The following from their website:

The applicant must be presently residing in their home country.  (Note: The Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles will only issue the "O-A" Visa to U.S. citizens.  For nationals from other countries they must apply in their home country.);

Why isn't anyone who's dealt with LA surprised? :o

• 2 months later...

Please don't mess this up.

I did not apply for an O-A visa.

I applied for a Non-Immigrant "O"-visa.

And, by the way: I travelled to Penang last month, presented all the same documents at the Thai Consulate there and got my visa within 24 hours and hassle free!

Ha! :o

Jaroen

Edited by JaroenVan

And, by the way: I travelled to Penang last month, presented all the same documents at the Thai Consulate there and got my visa within 24 hours and hassle free!

Jaroen

Glad that all is on track now. I was changing computers when sent my quoted message and obviously misread your post trying to answer between computer errors. Sorry. PP is known to be very tough to get any kind of visa and Penang has always been the best in this area.

Jaroen

I can confirm that the Phnom Penh Embassy is a v. difficult place to get visas if you are not resident in Cambodia. I applied earlier this month with perfectly legitimate papers issued by the Foreign Ministry and had a hard time in getting the required visa and witnessed lots of other people being given no end of hassles in getting theirs. In the end, my visa was stamped with a note saying "one application only at Phnom Penh". My advice is to just avoid it, as the poor Embassy official complained to me that he was overworked and wanted to get home earlier.

Seven years here now and I am so tired of keeping polite to these people.

Give a monkey a banana, and he won't eat it. He will bash all the smaller monkies with it, just to show them he has one.

Thailand a first word country?

WAAA HAAA HAAAH AHHHA HAAA!

R

Jaroen;Congrats to your success in Penang. :o ,All's well that ends well....I understand your effort in Cambodia,after all, that's where you were at the time,so why not give it a shot?? The worst they could have done is said NO,which is exactly what happened.Live and learn.

You merely went on to the next best alternative and succeeded.....Bravo! :D

remember, in most parts of the world and for most embassies of whatever nationality, the rule is that for long term visa's, migration etc etc, the application should be made in your country of residence (unless the country has a reciprocal agreement to waive this rule - eg australia - UK for working holdiday visas).

Given the mai pen rai attitiude of Thai's, many Thai embassies and consulates will most likely bend this rule. However, it is the rule, so you can't really complain when the bloke at the embassy is following standard diplomatic proceedure.

Personally, I don't see what the issue is with applying for a visa in your home country, or the country you are resident in.

It 's the standard rule everywhere...

I've witnessed at the French embassy in the UK, people being turned away from applying for a tourist visa to France because they weren't UK-resident, merely in the UK on holiday. (Admittedly, it was possibly because of the way the guy was dressed as well...)

The rule is - you apply in the country where you live, or the country you have a passport for. - anything else is a "favour" by the embassy staff in accepting your application.

Can you imagine the likely acceptance of a Thai going to the UK/Europe on a tourist visa, then going to a neighbouring country to apply for a settlement visa. - does anybody think the embassy staff wouldn't tell him to get on a flight back to Thailand and apply from there...

Personally, I don't see what the issue is with applying for a visa in your home country, or the country you are resident in.

It 's the standard rule everywhere...

I've witnessed at the French embassy in the UK, people being turned away from applying for a tourist visa to France because they weren't UK-resident, merely in the UK on holiday. (Admittedly, it was possibly because of the way the guy was dressed as well...)

The rule is - you apply in the country where you live, or the country you have a passport for. - anything else is a "favour" by the embassy staff in accepting your application.

Can you imagine the likely acceptance of a Thai going to the UK/Europe on a tourist visa, then going to a neighbouring country to apply for a settlement visa. - does anybody think the embassy staff wouldn't tell him to get on a flight back to Thailand and apply from there...

The poor Thai trying to do that would not even be able to enter the neighboring country (as opposed to us EU or US citizens within Asia) as he would first have to gte hold of a tourist visa. The system is way in 'our' favour the world over.

A Thai friend was refused a Shengen visa in London (he only had a tourist visa to UK) for a day trip to France !

Enjoy your freedom to roam about the world 'nearly' freely

Just write a straight forward letter to

Maj Gen Hemmeraj

Immigration Office

Suan Plu

Bangkok 10500

detailing what happened and the reaction from the embassy.

I am sure you will get an apology and it will improve matters for others in the future.

Okay. You were inconvenienced. But as others have pointed out, it is Thailand's right to do this. I have encountered this in other countries too (not just Thai embassies). So get over it.

As another person said, think what it would be like if the Thai authorities really wanted to crack down? Personally, I think we're on the verge of that now. Foreigners have been bending the rules here for years on all sorts of issues (just like the Thais do..they are the best teachers :o

(e.g. When a Thai gets a business 'concession' (read a monopoly through pay offs), everybody thinks he's a good businessman. When a foreigner tries it he gets screwed by his local partner. Anyway, too bad for us. That's the way it works here.

Just wait til they start going after all you guys (retired and otherwise) who bought houses through the 'shares in a company' shell game! I'd sell now if I were you.

I too am considering getting a Thai retirement visa. I read up on it on one of the consular websites, and when I went to the consulate in New York City to get my tourist visa I asked about the retirement visa and they made it sound like getting one would be no big ordeal. Well, I'll see about that if/when it happens.

From the stories I've been hearing about the Thai consulate in PP, I'd guess they are just too fookin' lazy. I'm surprised the OP got that long explanation -- it must have taken a lot of breathing to say all that.

Maybe the trip back to the home country (Switzerland) and taking care of it there will prove to be much less work in the long run. Also, and this is generally speaking, international documents (visas, permits, etc) are usually taken to be more legitimate, and therefore cause less questions to be asked, when they are issued in the home country of the person bearing them: well, for first-worlders at least.

die staff in the embassies are cambodians. in vientiane they are lao-people. i guess, the case was this: you did'nt ask a cambodian helping hand at the front of the embassy. and so they coult'nt earn extra-money. zu geizig! thats all! good luck!

Strange 'reasoning' on your part, arsch. :D

A Thai friend was refused a Shengen visa in London (he only had a tourist visa to UK) for a day trip to France!
There is no one day Schengen Visa to France, the procedure is the same as for applying to stay in a memberstate for several months. :D

I find it very useful to share information about visa practises and interpretations at different consulates, but I am getting tired of the constant 'it is unfair', 'Thai logic sucks', '3rd world corruption' comments. :o

Okay. You were inconvenienced. But as others have pointed out, it is Thailand's right to do this. I have encountered this in other countries too (not just Thai embassies). So get over it.
This sums it up.

From the stories I've been hearing about the Thai consulate in PP, I'd guess they are just too fookin' lazy.

That about sums it up.

Strange though as visa fees are a valuable source of income for the consulate.

I had a similar problem in The Thai consulate in Sydney, a few years ago.

I wanted to get a multi-entry O visa, they would only give me a single.

I have their apology on file, if anyone would like to see it.

Wed 29 Dec 04, 12:01 a.m.

Hi all,

Pointing out that it is a country’s right to set visa policy is empty rhetoric and merely points out the obvious in a condescending manner. Saying that people who are upset by a denied visa have merely been “inconvenienced” and should just “get over it” is trivializing that person’s experience in an insulting way. Getting caught in traffic is inconvenient. Traveling to another country, possibly on short funds, to attend to a visa chore and having it turn out badly could be considered a tad more than “inconvenient”, and it is entirely understandable that a person would be upset by it.

Certainly one ought to acknowledge and deal with a country’s laws; that’s only being realistic. Yes, sharing information about visa practices and interpretations at different consulates is the best way to avoid disappointment and nasty surprises—and knowing something about how immigration law reads in theory and how it functions in practice empowers people to figure out the best way to get around the silly thing! :o

But what a bunch of baloney to claim that people--especially on an open discussion forum such as this one--should refrain from talking about their unhappy experiences with the law and how the law may effect them in negative ways. For Pete sake, in this discussion we are talking specifically about laws that effect falang, laws that are about us, directed at us! Why on earth should we not have and express an opinion about them??? What’s wrong with analysis, discussion, debate, opinions, criticism and, yes, even complaints? Who the heck designated the Immigration agency of any country as infallible??? Geeze, if everyone were as smug and sanguine about the law as the pundits here seem to be, the countries of the world would slip into fascism.

Personally, just my opinion, I would suggest that the pundits who are so sensitive to having the visa laws criticized . . . just get over it! :D

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

for many years, I went to phnom penh to get my routine multiple tourist visas. then, when several cambodians trashed the place, I didn't go for a while. after they rebuilt the place, I made a visa run to continue my routine, but was refused multiple tourist visas. ...they only gave me one.

I have since changed my routine to malaysia where I have been successful.

returning to that last trip to phnom pehn which was earlier this year......

I remember while waiting patiently for my visa application to be processed, somebody ahead of me in the line tossed their cambodian passport at the clerk. I was shocked at this behavior.

..if I were working as the clerk, and somebody did that to me, I think I would get pretty mad. what would you do?

I have this feeling that the people at the thai embassy in phnom penh are experiencing extensive abuse by foreigners whoever they might be, and their way of retaliating is by way of refusing visas.

...all these visa problems started occurring after the cambodians raided and trashed the thai embassy about a year ago. do you remember?

All non-immigrant visas should be applied for in the applicant’s home country.

The reason why the official in the Thai Embassy said that he could not give support to non-Cambodians in Cambodia should be obvious.

Nothing is obvious at all!

If you read my post carefully, you would see that I was advised to apply for my visa in Vientiane, Laos.

When I asked why, I was given a lecture in geography. The ill-tempered consul presented me

with a map to prove that Chiang Mai was closer to Vientiane than to Phnom Penh...

As I know now, the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is notorious for its un-helpfulness and unfriendly officials.

But I was lucky, I could have been treated much worse.

Just read this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...48&hl=pnom+penh

:o