Voltage Converter For Us Appliance

karenmw460

Hi Does anyone know where I can buy a voltage converter (Hi low) to enable me to use a US appliance (hairdryer 1875 watts) here in thailand?

The voltage converter will cost as much as 5 new hair dryers and will weigh about 20 pounds. Buy a new 220v hairdryer here. P

That's a pretty big dryer, industrial strength, you sure it's not a paint stripper?

Try Pantip or Amorn in Chinatown although a 2kW transformer is going to be a big, heavy, expensive beast :o

Unless it's a very special dryer, pick up a cheapie for a few 00 Baht in Tesco.

Most US electrical products are 60hz. Thailand is 50Hz. A voltage converter can't change the frequency so you could be taking a risk. It's not worth it. I would suggest being safe and getting a new one locally.

The Panasonic 1000 watt hair dryer does the job for 369 baht. Available at most stores it's far cheaper than a voltage converter.

What about a voltage converter for larger U.S. electronic components such as a X-box, a lap top or MP3 rechargers? Would it be practical to buy a converter in this situation and if so are they readily available?

What about a voltage converter for larger U.S. electronic components such as a X-box, a lap top or MP3 rechargers? Would it be practical to buy a converter in this situation and if so are they readily available?

Check the voltage ratings of your electronics. Many electronic items these days can handle both 220/240 and 110/120. If they can't, it is likely that the manufacturer makes an alternate power supply that handles the other voltage.

My laptop and cell phone both had dual range power supplies. Of course their power plugs have the US style pins - but Thai outlets accept those just fine. My camera on the other hand needed a different power brick.