The Best Cooking Book You've Ever Read!

Lately I've really been getting into cooking at home, but think I need some more inspiration for new dishes to try. I thought the best way is to buy some new cookery books, hence this post :o

What's the best cookery book you have ever read/bought?

Any books that take cooking to a whole new level? (like the Elbulli book but without the price tag)?

What cookery book do you refer to most?

All cuisines welcome!

I look forward to everyone’s responses :D

Edited by seobangkok

my fav cooking books are the ones from the beautyful cook book series,as the name suggests they are beautyful and give you lots of info about the countries as well as nice and easy to follow recipies and photographs

they are not cheap,but well worth the money spend

bc

I would say it is the two cook books I actually heavily used in my life:

Henry Chung's Hunan Style Chinese Cookbook (out of print) Based on the recipes from the famous San Francisco Hunan restaurant which the New York Times once called the best Chinese restaurant in the country (not really but it was good for their business); the recipes are surprisingly easy to replicate the same flavor as the restaurant

and a best selling book many people know by Jeff Smith:

The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother

Edited by Jingthing

Apart from my collection of cooking books there's an old time favorite:

Duch, Handlexikon der Kueche.

The oldest edition I have is nearly 35 years old and travelled with me around the world. now "stationed" in Thailand, Phuket.

Old fashioned and conservative cooking style(Austrian) but great for learning the basics.

Gerd

i just google my recepes ,delia smiths on line recepes are really easy to follow,i also use fanny craddocks recpes ,as these are from the 50s and 60s before ready made sauces and the like ,shows you how to make from scratch whitch is a must with the limited things on the shelves in thailand

My favorite is the older 1970-something edition of "The Joy of Cooking." The newer version is not nearly as good. It it highly instructive as to why things need to be done in certain ways, as well as how to perform a myriad of basic cooking techniques. I also like the long out of print and unavailable "New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook." My Ball Blue Book is handy sometimes, but I don't do much food preservation except making pickles.

• 2 weeks later...
i just google my recepes ,delia smiths on line recepes are really easy to follow,i also use fanny craddocks recpes ,as these are from the 50s and 60s before ready made sauces and the like ,shows you how to make from scratch whitch is a must with the limited things on the shelves in thailand

I agree, although I have some great cook books Google is a great resource. Today I cooked a chicken with prunes in a cream sauce. Found a great recipe by gooogleing(sp) the ingredients I knew of and got a great recipe.

For food in general: On Food And Cooking by Harold McGee

Not a cookbook actually but a full on encyclopedia-like treatise on food. Amazing...

For Thai food: Thai Food by David Thompson

Lots of research went into this. Many amazing recipes from the 19th century Thai Royal kitchens and simple stuff too, like how to make moo daet diaw :o

I don't like the bloke but I love his cook books. Anything by Jamie Oliver. He doesn't get sniffy over weights and always offers alternatives if something is not available. And the recipes are simple to follow and generally excellent. Try his salmon in newspaper or strawberries in balsamic vinegar!

Joy of Cooking thirded (or were there more with that recommendation?) It will tell you how to make most anything, explain it well and it's reliable.

For those with a bit of an odd sense of humor, I like this book (which also has party planning tips)

299016784_ffacd9ad90_o.jpg

A cookbook that can recommend what to cook someone if they've just been released from jail and other occasions that cookbooks don't cover.

All About Braising by Molly Stevens, is a collection of recipes from all around the world using my favourite slow cooking method. Anyone who uses a Dutch oven knows, and Molly does a fine job of breaking down the science of braising, and in simple language she presents many traditional recipes as well as more exotic ones from Morocco to Jamaica to Vietnam. The book is not heavy on glossy pictures but once you have read several recipes you realise its value lies in the easy to understand and easy to adapt recipes that you would actually use. 5 Stars

Edited by thedude

If you love reading as much as you love food, then this one is a very good candidate:

Life Is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days

by James Salter (one of the best writers alive) and his wife