How Did You Do It?

teacup

So what have been keeping you here all these times then, beside Tom-ka-gai

Do you plan on being here permanently or going back home eventually someday once your contract end? 7 yrs is a long time to be in one place and so far away from home for a foreigner.

I worked for my Father and Uncle for 20 years in UK. Time had come for them to retire, I was offered the chance to buy out my Uncle and run the business, with my Father as a non working partner, I declined. Those 20 years had past so quickly, too quickly, it was time for change. Also, if I had carried on the business then I felt it would mean my Father would not really be retired, as he would still have ties and concerns for the business he had built. I wanted him to sell out so he could enjoy the benefits of his hard work. Free of all worries. The business was sold and I continued to work for the 'New' owners, it was OK, but of course, not the same. I quit to travel the world for 7 months, returned to the job again for 6 months then quit again. A decline in my health and a nightmare girlfriend made the decision to leave easier. I returned to Thailand, not really knowing how long I'd stay, I have a property in UK which is all paid for so the income from that pays for my basic needs here as well as being my 'safety net' if things go tits up. I've been here for 3 years now and loved every minute of it. I certainly have no regrets and the thought of not knowing what tomorrow will bring excites me. I will consider selling my UK property the next time I feel the price is right, but I'm glad I didn't sell it before and go for broke straight off. I still have alot of 'stuff' stored back home that I once thought I would never be able to part with. That isn't an issue with me anymore. Of course I had the same worrying thoughts that everybody has had when considering taking the plunge, but I just kept reminding myself of my worst case senario, which really wasn't that bad either, therefore, I had nothing to lose.

Edited by thecatman

My question is, what sort of life can you have on say 9000 baht a week? Lets say you dont have to pay rent

I decided, 1 year ago after a holiday to Koh Chang, that I was going to quit my job and try it out over here. It was something I had considered for a few years, but as I was never thinking it to be a permanent thing, it wasn't a particularly difficult choice. I was earning 27k pa in the UK.

In the 4 months i had until I came here I sold nothing, but saved about 4k. In the first month of being here I was stupid, I spent about 2500 of it on expencive hotels and that kinda thing, which left me 700ish for the TEFL course and 800ish quid to live on for 3 months. That was certainly the most stressful period of my life so far...(im still young, ok)

Now I am 26, working as a teacher here on 30k with no other income from abroad. Thats about 5000 a week after bills. I have a town house which i pay 5k per month rent on in Chachoengsao. I work as much overtime as possible and still work less than I did in England. (12-14 hour days frequent, and in total 8 days of holiday in my last 9 months of work)

I think maybe people get used to money too much. Do you need to go out to expencive restaurants everyday? Did you need to spend 200 quid on Brandy every weekend?

Just because many things are cheap here compared to the west, you have to understand that once you are here you have to live within your limits, not just buying things judging them cheap because of the cost of the item in the west.

You play with the cards you are dealt, or you chuck 'em in and get a new hand.

See on the other hand my mate is paying off his morgage in England with maybe 80 quid disposable income per week. No comment on that one.

However of course my life would be much more exiciting probably if I had an extra 50k per month, and i admit it is difficult and sometimes I wonder if my life would be better in England. But then I knew that before I came here. It wasnt the money that attracted me, sounds funny saying it sitting here, but it was the quality of life. I guess that means the extra free time I have, the politeness of the people, the numerous activities I can take part in without spending a months wages....

if you know what I mean...

So in answer to your question, 9000 a week could do me quite nicely.

I'm about six years out from retirement and the big move. Sometimes I look in my garage at the boxes of "stuff" and wonder what I'm going to do with it all. I guess I'll sell what I can, see if my kids want anything, and eventually put the stuff on the street with a "free" sign. I hope to to have a nice chunk of cash from the sale of my home to help with the transition. It's still a fairly long way off but I'm sure it will be here before I know it!!

dave

we meet again

get over here

sell the house - ditch the junk

come over and play - golf among other things

things change fast

do it now while you still believe you can

[sitting over a putt doesnt make it go in]

I was just out of Uni so it was relatively easy. Was in the US and realized I'd much rather be in Thailand. I had a lump sum of cash so I bought a plane ticket and moved. I squandered the cash over the next few years and was lucky enough to eventually run into a decent salary at a mediocre company (I consider that lucky here). There are some things I miss, but overall I much prefer LOS. Sometimes I do wonder what life would be like if I had stayed there as far as the career goes. But you can't live your life second guessing.

Im 23, photographer had a steady job back home and it hit me that if I wanted to see something, if I wanted to travel now would be the time!

So worked my ass off for 6 months, bought a ticket, packed my bag with some clothes and my camera ...traveled around mainly in Thailand, met my fiance and settled on one of the islands, still not feeling homesick living in one big inspiration!

[Mom still cant believe it :o ]

I sort of fell into my life in Thailand. I came here from a nursing job in Saudi. The money there was fairly good, but I didn't enjoy my life in Riyadh. I decided, while on holiday in Thailand six years ago, that I wasn't going back to Saudi. A friend suggested that I gave teaching a try. I enjoyed it, but she hated it and soon gave it up. I have since gained qualifications as a proper teacher, and I love the job. At one stage I had notions of ordaining as a monk, but I met my wife and the rest is history. I now survive on a teachers salary, but I love my life and wouldn't swap it for the world.

Edited by garro

heres my story

travelled thru here and liked it - as a backpacker

came back on holiday for 2 months some years later

returned home, saved for a year and sold everything

invested all my capital in shares

moved back here with a carry on travel bag and a laptop

2 years here now and havent looked back

i can live well on 1000 baht a day

thats a beachside bungalow and seafood every night if you want

its surprising how little you need in asia

if you invest wisely your income can fund you travels forever

better go

got to finish this beer and these prawns before i head down to play some pool

Like many others, came here in vacation, lived the high life in Hawaii 4250 sq. ft house on beach ($5000 mo. mortgage) sold it, closed the business gave ex wife 50% of our net worth and 75% of furniture, got rid of Mercedes, Cadillac and all luxury items, bought house in Udon, 2000 sq. ft. then house in Pattaya 2100 sq ft. Just rented 350 sq. ft house (planning to rent out other 2) in the country by Phoenix golf course. We now have too much furniture and possession and drive a 3 year old Izusu pickup and looking forward to moving to the country with my wife.

I play golf once or twice a week, read at least 1 book a week, surf the net, watch at least one of the 350 DVD's I own and opened a business for my wife and relax and enjoy my life and wouldn't go back to Hawaii and the stress of the high life even if I had a F&C house there. We have cable TV but I don't watch 2 hours a week (too busy).

SS and Thai rental income and investments should give me income of around B75000 a month and a much happier life than I had and would have if I stayed in Hawaii.

So what have been keeping you here all these times then, beside Tom-ka-gai

Do you plan on being here permanently or going back home eventually someday once your contract end? 7 yrs is a long time to be in one place and so far away from home for a foreigner.

Suppose I should have added in the last 7 years, I got married again, bought the house in Thailand etc...so would consider Thailand home now....I basically grew up travellling around the world with my parents...so guess I would be considered a gypsy of sorts, by the age of 12 had lived in 4 different countries for various periods of time

The last 7 years has brought me a lot of contacts in industry and business in Thailand, so once this contract eventually ends..which it will..(hopefully later rather than sooner), have already invested in an existing business in Thailand as a silent shareholder, so the plan would be to move over to the company full time and thus keep the work permit going..

If for some reason that didnt work out...can always go back to the contract game and base out of Thailand

I think maybe people get used to money too much. Do you need to go out to expencive restaurants everyday? Did you need to spend 200 quid on Brandy every weekend?

Just because many things are cheap here compared to the west, you have to understand that once you are here you have to live within your limits, not just buying things judging them cheap because of the cost of the item in the west.

See on the other hand my mate is paying off his morgage in England with maybe 80 quid disposable income per week. No comment on that one.

However of course my life would be much more exiciting probably if I had an extra 50k per month, and i admit it is difficult and sometimes I wonder if my life would be better in England. But then I knew that before I came here. It wasnt the money that attracted me, sounds funny saying it sitting here, but it was the quality of life. I guess that means the extra free time I have, the politeness of the people, the numerous activities I can take part in without spending a months wages....

I’m glad you have found what is really important to you. Know how you feel and what make you happy. And especially know how tolive life with less money & materialistic things. Not everybody can do likes what your are doing or enjoy simple pleasures of sweating under the hot sun or dancing in the rain.

SALUTE to you and your future!

TC

My question is, what sort of life can you have on say 9000 baht a week? Lets say you dont have to pay rent

I decided, 1 year ago after a holiday to Koh Chang, that I was going to quit my job and try it out over here. It was something I had considered for a few years, but as I was never thinking it to be a permanent thing, it wasn't a particularly difficult choice. I was earning 27k pa in the UK.

In the 4 months i had until I came here I sold nothing, but saved about 4k. In the first month of being here I was stupid, I spent about 2500 of it on expencive hotels and that kinda thing, which left me 700ish for the TEFL course and 800ish quid to live on for 3 months. That was certainly the most stressful period of my life so far...(im still young, ok)

Now I am 26, working as a teacher here on 30k with no other income from abroad. Thats about 5000 a week after bills. I have a town house which i pay 5k per month rent on in Chachoengsao. I work as much overtime as possible and still work less than I did in England. (12-14 hour days frequent, and in total 8 days of holiday in my last 9 months of work)

So in answer to your question, 9000 a week could do me quite nicely.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I will be getting abut 9000 baht a month, but its for me and my wife combined. I dont plan to get shattered everynight. Just eat the local food, the father inlaw always takes us out to resturants and pays too so that part isnt a problem. I think your doind very well for 26. Your living my dream at the moment you lucky bastard

Just curious

How did you guys do it, moving to Thailand and leaving the life and routines you used to know and familiar with behind?

Didn’t you have to think long and hard before making that decision?

Was it quite complicate or easy decision for you? Why and why not?

Wasn’t the process… time consuming, complicate, expensive (moving with your belongings), and complex - w/visa, money issue, mail forwarding, credit card, language, etc? And even for some of you, not knowing how long you will be there. Or even making the decision to sell it up or not, you home that is?

Not like we will be moving there soon, just curious that’s all. Just thinking about it gives me quite a headache already! So how did you all do and prepare for this big life changing decision?

Was the move worth it? Or what you could have done differently?

I was transferred here(did not know much about thailand the country b4 hand)....basically I could give 2 shits about thailand..but i get paid and compensated well ,when that ends....i am gone. period.

dave

we meet again

get over here

sell the house - ditch the junk

come over and play - golf among other things

things change fast

do it now while you still believe you can

[sitting over a putt doesnt make it go in]

Believe me, I love to be there now; however, sometimes you gotta play the cards you are dealt. My grandkids didn't get to choose their parents but they have us. So it's going to be "Congratulations on graduating high school, dear...now give us a ride to the airport!"

But golf (and other things) will come. Meanwhile I have fond memories of the 2001 Thai Amateur Championship:

post-2095-1211332904_thumb.jpg

Here's my 0.2 cents. Went to Pattaya on the rebound after a long term relationship split and didn't like it so a mate was staying at the Nana hotel in BKK and invited me over and didn't like it and went back to Australia and back to my successful business. A decline in health meant time out for a few months and during that time oddly I kept thinking about Thailand so I hopped a flight back to BKK a few days later met a great girl and we travelled the country and she introduced me to a great circle of young expats and had the time of my life! I had my house on the market and it sold while I was here so I flew back packed my stuff moved in with the girl and that lasted about a week :D

When it was time to go home I couldn't do it! Thailand was in my blood so I bought a place in BKK and scaled my business back to 1/3 and it costs 2/3rds less to live here and I get 2/3rds more spare time. Absolutely Perfect :o

Thanks all for sharing yours

I love /enjoy reading other people's lives story and learning just a bit more about each person, very interesting so far.

As for others on the sideline, if you have something to share w/ the rest of us, please don’t hesitate

Regards

TC :o

Thanks all for sharing yours

I love /enjoy reading other people's lives story and learning just a bit more about each person, very interesting so far.

As for others on the sideline, if you have something to share w/ the rest of us, please don't hesitate

Regards

TC :o

I think this is a great thread also, it shows how different all people are on here, some are forced, some choose to be here. SOme very interesting stories also

Hi

Well this is a very enlightening and positive topic. Well, here goes with my answer to your question.

I suppose I went through a bit of a mid-life crisis in the UK. Whilst still a Bank Manager, I went to nightschool to be a Plumber/Gas engineer. A bit like Gary A, downsizing the Business was not only my job but it eventually happened to me. Took someone else's vacation place to Thailand, travelled around and managed to miss the Tsunami too. Met my (now) wife and started to plan THE GREAT RETREAT. Took me 3 years of scrimping and saving, selling or giving away every thing I owned ( inc 2 cars and 3 Motorbikes). Managed to keep my Private pension when I divored 6 yrs ago and in answer to The Dons 9000b query, Yes I can also live fairly comfortably on that now I have paid for our house/contents in Issan,New Truck, little business (that pays the bills). We live a quiet life out here in the country but have a more active social life now than when I was earning 800quid a week tax free, in & around London.

I retired at 49 and I am happy to have less now, than to wait another say 10 years and be a miserable bugger in the UK. I went back last October and felt like a misplaced person before I left the Airport. I miss my 'ol Mum and British Beer, but other than that, I never want to return to that country again.

Put the lights out when the last Englishman/woman leaves!!! :o:D

Dave

This topic seems to have expanded a little for the original question. The answer answer depends on 1) what province will you live in and 2) you want to find a wife? I guess maybe other things aswell.

I had been retired some while in the UK and always intended to come here, with my Thai wife, full time once my mother was no longer with us. Our ages are 62/53 if that is of any use and we have now been here sixteen months..

We sold the house contents bit by bit, slept on the floor the last couple of days! at the last minute the car and packed the rest of our belongings into twenty four tea chest size cardboard boxes.

Previously having sorted all the paperwork, inland revenue, will, visa etc. We timed coming here once our house sale contracts had been exchanged. Bought the tickets and caught the plane.

We already had a house and car here, so in that way things were easy for us. Now we have no desire ever to return to the UK. We spend out time golfing, gardening..well not much as someone does it for us, seaside, travelling etc etc. We still have rental property in the UK and manage from a distance, although my son deals with anything I can’t.

I must admit that we couldn’t manage on 9000Baht a week though. Love it here, we hardly ever cook at home, am out a great deal. Must admit thought I wouldn’t want to be here on my own. Even though we live in Bangkok, they nearly all seem to speak Thai and I don’t!

heres a flip side to all the up till now stories, I worked in the commodities business in london and got made redundant, on the severance pay I decided to go travelling...I was in my mid 20's, found thailand and really for all the other places me and my pal travelled within that year we always yearned for thailand....came back to U.K tried to get back in the same business and failed, took a mediocre job and just got fed up very quickly, me and the same pal returned to thailand within a year and rented a bar in pattaya :D as much as we didn't make any money out the bar I had a great time this was around 1998-ish, eventually out of the haze I realized the bar wasn't going to keep me out there and I was going to run out of money, at this stage I had a g.f in tow and was in 'love' :o luckily for me a customer of my bar worked in a real estate office and one night I told him I was looking for a job...anything!!! he got me to meet his boss and within a month I was working...it was pure fate, now pattaya at the time was picking up on the real estate side of things but there were at most 10 estate agents so not the silly competition there is these days and all these new buildings, it was a healthy market then (early 2000)

fast forward 8 years of my arrival and a bad experience of leaving my original employer and going into business with someone I thought I could trust who eventually got me arrested by the b.i.b on trumped up charges so he could blackmail me for my entire wealth (which isn't millions but he was desperate and living beyond his means) I decided to have a good look at what pattaya could offer me and all i saw was a downturn in business and more estate agents opening up...I decided to admit that it was good while it lasted and come back to England.

Turned full circle now and am back in the commodities business but have a 10 year plan of being back in thailand(not pattaya) and living a good life where I don't get tempted to go into business with con men.

all in all I loved pattaya in the early days, nightlife was superb and my attitude towards the thai people was better, in the latter days when premises were being shaken down things got tight everybody's attitude stunk including mine. these days I think theres still a good time to be had but on my holidays there always been happy to come away...

yes Englands got a crap government(who hasn't) yes we are highly taxed and have loads of scroungers milking this country but we also have the football season, lots of concerts with good bands(the time I saw oasis in bangkok you couldn't even get a beer inside the venue) eating out isn't too expensive especially at pubs these days and with all the talk of recessions and the credit crunch I have just bought a property for 20% less than what it would have cost me last year :D

I've had my good times out there...and am happy with my memories....and the con man failed on blackmailing me :D

What about your belongings, didn't you have to reroute them, and were there any obsticals bringing/getting them into thailand?

And how did your family back home react of you being in Thailand instead of China?

Some of us reduced a lifetime of "stuff" to a couple of suitcases. Lots of garage sales and eBay sales! Considering the friends and experiences I've collected in Thailand, I don't miss any of the "stuff" I left behind. As to outfitting a new home--it's dirt-cheap in Thailand compared to the West. I ended up buying all the essential "stuff" in Thailand (appliances, furniture, etc.) for about 5% of what I sold everything else back in the home country. (And saved all those shipping costs, as well!).

In the middle of last year, I started downsizing my lifetime of accumalated belongings through give-a-ways, Criag's List, garage sales and the like. I reduced my "stuff" so that it would all fit into two suitcases and one backpack! My daughter calls it "becoming a minimalist." :o I don't miss much of anything from back in the U.S., except seeing my daughter and family on a regular basis. I'm still doing the same routines that I did when I was living in the U.S.,.....getting up early, running, swimming, working out, doing the mundane house chores, visiting with friends and chasing the girls! I don't need much to make me happy, and find the cost of living and ability to maintain a lifestyle that makes me happy on a daily basis here in the Land of Smiles easily within my budget. Life is good.

Like many others, came here in vacation, lived the high life in Hawaii 4250 sq. ft house on beach ($5000 mo. mortgage) sold it, closed the business gave ex wife 50% of our net worth and 75% of furniture, got rid of Mercedes, Cadillac and all luxury items, bought house in Udon, 2000 sq. ft. then house in Pattaya 2100 sq ft. Just rented 350 sq. ft house (planning to rent out other 2) in the country by Phoenix golf course. We now have too much furniture and possession and drive a 3 year old Izusu pickup and looking forward to moving to the country with my wife.

I play golf once or twice a week, read at least 1 book a week, surf the net, watch at least one of the 350 DVD's I own and opened a business for my wife and relax and enjoy my life and wouldn't go back to Hawaii and the stress of the high life even if I had a F&C house there. We have cable TV but I don't watch 2 hours a week (too busy).

SS and Thai rental income and investments should give me income of around B75000 a month and a much happier life than I had and would have if I stayed in Hawaii.

Well we just spent our first night in our new quarters, I measured the house we live in and came up with 20 sq mt in the livingroom/bedroom and 5 in the bathroom. That is smaller than the walk in closet in my Hawaii house, but there is no stress, I love it, my wife loves it and my 4 dogs love it. No kitchen in this house but plenty of room outside for one if we want since the lot is over 1 Rai in size (1/2 acre) and we have a second house in back about the same size but divided into a bedroom and livingroom with a bath and kitchen sink but no hot water shower, no A/C so we now call that the guest house and I don't think the relatives will be staying for months at a time as they have at our other houses.

I never would have considered such a home as being comfortable in the US but am perfectly content with it as a living style now. No I cannot live on B9000 per week or anything close to that but B15000/wk is possible and comfortable. Yes, I pay B12,000/mo rent for the new place and could have rented a nice 3/2 house closer to town for less money but very difficult to find a home with large yard in the Pattaya area.

Edited by bob4you

Graduated from UT-Austin in Dec. of '96 and flew over about 2 weeks later with two suitcases and a few air cargo crates sent over separately. Not sure of the exact amount, but only had a few $100 in cash after pumping up the party volume towards the end of school -with several jaunts to 'Orleans, Cancun, etc.- at that point after buying eco classed one way Southwest and EVA Air tickets to BKK. Everything else put into storage in a small warehouse at our house in Westlake. ***Lucked out*** in export not long after with the devalued Baht for a good 8-9 year run. Been slowly bringing over "essentials" left at home in Texas over the last decade on yearly visits. Will always consider Austin a home, but now consider Bangkok and Pattaya home as well, especially now that the latter two are Heng Jr.'s homes.

The '97 crash was the best thing that could have happened to me. I don't credit skill or biz acumen as much as blind luck in that respect.

:o

To elaborate on my first post, a job is what brought me here to start with. During the economic meltdown I was excited and VERY happy to leave Thailand and start a new job. Shortly after I started working in Kalifornia, I realized that I had left part of myself back in Thailand. The Land of Fruits and Nuts did NOT impress me. Political correctness is definitely NOT my thing. Altogether I spent five LONG years in Kalifornia planning how to get back to Thailand to stay. If I NEVER see Los Angeles again, I will be quite happy. Thailand is now my home and I plan to stay as long as possible.

I’m the opposite. I seem to enjoy Amarika more than Thailand. There are things I’m sure will be missed if I make the move to Thailand

-My income and long time customers

-Cooler weather w/ 4 seasons

-True internet buying experience

-Living in a well maintained and well organized subdivision/ or moobaan as the thais called it

-Better housing and building standards

among other things.....

I am self-employed and will probably never quit. When I want to go somewhere or do something , I just do it. Of course not a few years, only just a few months at the time. Generally my job does not interfere w/ my life too much, and also there are similarities between my work and hobby. I enjoy working most of the time, but sometimes I hate it, so I think periodic breaks for me will work just fine. Just can’t imagine myself living in Thailand forever, at this point.

I was sent here by my company to build and start up a factory, so I had the full expat support package, including house, car, driver, fat salary, and assistance with moving all my stuff, banks and credit cards, medical insurance, visas and workpermit (the latter two were 3-year deals due to BoI priveledges). I worked out my 3-year contract, and retired at 42, more than 8 years ago. I am lucky to have a steady financial income from Europe, enabling me to live very well here in Thailand. Never looked back!
As to outfitting a new home--it's dirt-cheap in Thailand compared to the West. I ended up buying all the essential "stuff" in Thailand (appliances, furniture, etc.) for about 5% of what I sold everything else back in the home country. (And saved all those shipping costs, as well!).

I wonder about the above quote (if I have read it correctly, if not ME BAD). Say toptuan had "stuff" with a replacement value of B1,000,000. It is IMO not realistic to realise more then 50% of this when sold second hand, probably quite a bit less. But let's stick with 50%, that means B500,000. So now toptuan is going shopping in Thailand with 5% of this, i.e. B25,000...

I would like to know where he did his shopping, or to see the quality of the stuff he got...

I moved my entire contents from Tenerife in 2002, 90% were only 9 months old. Shipped to Thailand, door to door 5,000 pounds sterling. Sorry I couldnt get the same quality or fill my house for 5,000 sterling or 10,000 or 15,000. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!