Bicycle Stolen Last Night

eek

My friends sons bike was stolen last night from Sunday Walking Street. Its a bit of a long shot but well, we will be posting this flyer around in the hope it turns up (even if the guys who stole it end up selling it back :o ). This is the flyer (minus the Thai script that i still need him to translate for me). Drop me a pm / ring the number, if you think you might have info that can help.

Thank you.

post-33493-1211177242_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry our friends child gas has lost their bicycle. I'm just wondering if that reward is so generous that someone may steal another similar bicycle in order to collect it. Best of luck.

Frankly, I don't really think anyone would do something so stupid for 2000bht

My friends sons bike was stolen last night from Sunday Walking Street. Its a bit of a long shot but well, we will be posting this flyer around in the hope it turns up (even if the guys who stole it end up selling it back :o ). This is the flyer (minus the Thai script that i still need him to translate for me). Drop me a pm / ring the number, if you think you might have info that can help.

Thank you.

out of curiosity was the bike locked up or anything? how long was it left alone? Not to place blame but I lock my bike up around town sometimes and would be interested in the thieves M.O.

Not sure it would work in Thailand but in the states if you put a waterproof contact card in the bottom bracket shell then if its being serviced at a shop and the mechanic reads it then they will likely call in for the reward. Obviously if your taking your own bike in to be serviced you tell the mechanic to ignore the card and make sure its replaced. In thailand I suppose you would need to write in in Thai.

Someday maybe soon RFID chips will be available to hide in a bike frame and implicate thieves more easily. IMO same as a horse or water buffalo theft and suitable for tall tree limb and a noose.

out of curiosity was the bike locked up or anything? how long was it left alone? Not to place blame but I lock my bike up around town sometimes and would be interested in the thieves M.O.

I've been told that good quality bicycles are stolen in Chiang Mai quite often and the theives are pretty professional. Supposedly they can break the best bike locks very quickly and target places like Central Shopping center and Chiang Mai University.

I always lock mine somewhere where there is a guard nearbye.

tnx all.

Both my bike and my friends sons bike (which my friend had borrowed) were together and locked up for just under one hour. We locked them both next to a Police man who was guarding one of the entrances at walking street. We just popped down to have a quick wander around for an hour (arrived at 9:30pm and returned before 10:30pm). The street had only just been returned to a normal drive down street a short time after we arrived back and the Police man was gone. So either it happened under the Police mans nose or they did it after a short time of the street being re-opened.)

My lock is heavy duty and hard to break..his lock, sadly, was just snapped in two with wire cutters, even though it was about 3 thick wires twisted together (i wish now we had interlocked my chain to his bike too). I advice for anyone who has a bike and doesnt have a huge metal padlock and chain like mine (i can post a pic later if it helps)to buy one. (Also remember to lock around the frame and not around the tires as they can just leave the tyre behind and steal the bike frame).

We went to the Police station last night and all was reported (although not sure it will do any good either) and today we posted a ton of flyers around the surrounding area.

We did have a really good giggle last night on the journey back home though, as he had to give me a backie on the bike. I had nowhere to put my feet so i just had to keep my legs up and back. Also, as i was sitting on the back we had nowhere to put the backlight..so had to attach it to my bum. At least it has provided us with a funny memory. Just would be a much happier ending if we get his sons bike back. Fingers crossed. :o

Eek, so sorry about the theft. It is a problem everywhere in the world these days. I have friends that have had bikes stolen at CMU, and one friend had one stolen as she was buying vegetables 15 meters from her bike at 2 in the afternoon at the Ton Payom Market. Pretty brazen. The solid bar bike locks (U-shaped) are the only ones that work most of the time. Otherwise you just have to keep your bike in sight or put it in a secure area.

As far as locks go...

There is NO lock which a good bike thief cannot defeat in a matter of seconds. A good thief.

Most amatures will look for the one that is easy to get, but for a good thief, it does not matter.

If he/she wants your bike..they are gunna get it.

If ya lock your bike, take the tire ( tyres ) either front or rear, if you have quick releases, and the seat as well.

Most police, well maybe not in Thailand, but in most other countries, will think it is strange to see someone carrying a bike without a tire ( tyre ) and seat and will probably investigate. Hopefully. ( well, at least the new guy will ( FNG ) :D

( from experience )

Sorry 'bout your bike eek. :o

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of irrelevant quotes

I'm sorry our friends child gas has lost their bicycle. I'm just wondering if that reward is so generous that someone may steal another similar bicycle in order to collect it. Best of luck.

Frankly, I don't really think anyone would do something so stupid for 2000bht

Two, maybe three weeks wages.

[/color]

tnx all.

Both my bike and my friends sons bike (which my friend had borrowed - from his son)

Just clearing that up for the people who may decide to join in on the "cheap charlie" bandwagon.

tnx all.

Both my bike and my friends sons bike (which my friend had borrowed - from his son)

Just clearing that up for the people who may decide to join in on the "cheap charlie" bandwagon.

I thought I would post it again, just so it is clear.

Where did the moral apparatus come from?

Moss

tnx all.

I thought I would post it again, just so it is clear.

Where did the moral apparatus come from?

Moss

:D whoops! Im feeling a little more level headed this morning. :o

There is NO lock which a good bike thief cannot defeat in a matter of seconds. A good thief.

. . . . .

If ya lock your bike, take the tire ( tyres ) either front or rear, if you have quick releases, and the seat as well.

With a view to correcting any misunderstanding on the part of the bicycling public, I suggest that it is both more effective and much, much easier to take the entire wheel, complete with tyre, rather than the tyre alone.

. . . . .

With a view to correcting any misunderstanding on the part of the bicycling public, I suggest that it is both more effective and much, much easier to take the entire wheel, complete with tyre, rather than the tyre alone.

Exactly.

I should have put it that way.. :o

I'm the short one....

post-46099-1211253415_thumb.jpg

. . . . .

if you gonna carry the wheels and seat along, why not just carry the whole bicycle with you?

. . . . .

Exactly.

I should have put it that way.. :o

I'm the short one....

are those the chiang mai tourist police volunteers?? i recognise both of them from cherry bar the other night..

. . . . .

if you gonna carry the wheels and seat along, why not just carry the whole bicycle with you?

That is pretty much what I was thinking. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

1. The cost of a new bicycle is a quite substantial one, for many. (As you feel so strongly, you might consider chipping in :o .)

2. Sometimes people don't like to give up immediately in the face of a crime or injustice. Eek and her friend are letting the boy and the general public know they don't regard the theft as a petty, inconsequential act and making an attempt to have their property returned. Good for them, I say.

A "neighbourhood watch" system would go a long way to reducing theft and burglary here.

Sometimes a thread deserves to be clogged with inane banter. I don't think this is one.

Good luck to you and your friend, Eek.

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of irrelevant quotes

It's not just the cost of the bike - it's the bike itself! We cyclists become very attached to our bikes. You want to borrow my car? OK, here are the keys. You want to borrow one of my bikes? NO!

My oldest bike here is about 15 years old and we have covered thousands of miles together. Can I replace it? Of course I can, will cost me about 300,000Baht, that bike fits me like a well worn pair of shoes - would a new bike give me the same enjoyment? Possibly but possibly not!

Where to buy a frame big enough for me? 1.80 high.

I'm 1.90 cms tall and we won't talk about the weight. My latest bike is a Trek 7200 form ProBike in Bangkok but they do have dealers in Chiang Mai - go to ProBike dealers For range of bikes see the website - ProBike

If you need more advice, I'm only to willing to help

. . . . .

You don't take both wheels, just one. And when you are going somewhere that will let you take the whole bicycle inside, it is indeed better to do that. Where that is not possible, though, you can often get away with carrying a wheel along with you, with or without the seat.

I should post a picture of my bike lock... :D It's completely out of the question they get that one open. :o

Go ahead and post, but no, it is never out of the question that a lock can be removed. Professionals can get any lock off. That said, I have no idea how professional the better thieves here are.

I should post a picture of my bike lock... :D It's completely out of the question they get that one open. :D

Go ahead and post, but no, it is never out of the question that a lock can be removed. Professionals can get any lock off. That said, I have no idea how professional the better thieves here are.

The big U shaped ones are frozen with a canned freon spray that doctors use to freeze tissue and then cracked with a sledgehammer. It takes about 3 minutes. :o