Thai Hotels: "american" Breakfasts

Both in Bangkok and up here in Isaan (Khon Kaen) three to five-star hotels advertise "American Breakfast" usually as part of your room charge. It's commonly a buffet-style setup which also includes Thai-type foods grouped in their own section.

Commonly, I see grouped with the "American" breakfast foods the following:

Grilled tomatoes

Baked beans (typical of canned "Pork and Beans")

Hot dog frankfurters or Vienna sausages

Salads (lettuce with all the veggie additions you can add, with assorted salad dressings)

French fries (usually cold or lukewarm)

etc.

Where, on earth, did the Thais ever get the notion that these are "American" breakfast foods?? :o

(Yes, I know they've confused the Brit grilled tomatoes as belonging to the colonies...but what about the other weird items?)

Or, you might be expected to order and eat "American Fried Rice," which at one of our favorite tourist restaurants just inside Suan Dok Gate, comes with a fried egg on top, sliced frankfurter, a slice of nearly-Canadian ham, and cucumber. Trust me, nowhere in New Chinatown in Houston :o would an Asian restaurant try to pass that off as American.

American breakfasts vary by location. My Texas father-in-law :D made it from 1894 to 1984, always starting the day with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, and buttered toast. I hate to think how early he would have died eating only Grape Nuts, or baked beans, or tortillas.

The other day, one of my western friends told me they were overjoyed to see "potato salad" on the menu at a smaller Isaan restaurant, and they ordered it so see how authentic it might be.

The result? French fries on a bed of shredded lettuce. :o

In my opinion, the restaurant deserves a prize for cleverly "Thai-a-nizing" another western dish.

innovative?

I would love to see the faces of Thai people, in a "Thai Restaurant" somewhere overseas,

ordering: "Massaman Curry" and getting a serve of cold potatoes sprinkled with some crumbles of Massaman Currypaste.... :o

Edited by Samuian

Or, you might be expected to order and eat "American Fried Rice," which at one of our favorite tourist restaurants just inside Suan Dok Gate, comes with a fried egg on top, sliced frankfurter, a slice of nearly-Canadian ham, and cucumber. Trust me, nowhere in New Chinatown in Houston :o would an Asian restaurant try to pass that off as American.

I recently had a hospitalization with lengthy bed-ridden recovery that limited my gastronomical options. I came across several take-out menus that offer "American fried rice". I had never heard of this creation before.

Well, the Thai name is Khaaw Pad American (or Khao Phat Amerigan). The closest thing I had eaten to this dish was Spanish rice, but this Thai version was sweeter. Apparently, this dish was created by Thai chefs during the Vietnam War, because these creative chefs thought it incorporated ingredients liked by the Yanks (ketchup, hot dogs and raisins).

americanfriedrice.jpg

It is often served with some fried chicken and a fried egg. You cook the fried chicken, the hot dogs, the egg in oil, add onions and cold rice to the oil, then in goes a ketchup-soy sauce mixture, then raisins, pineapple, ham and/or tomato.

Personally, I prefer Chinese and Thai fried rice, but this dish has an interesting history. Only recently, has the dish appeared on some menus in the U.S.

B Fried Rice Restaurant

Sukho Thai Restaurant

Best I saw was in Laos, in a great village in a beautiful setting called Vang Vieng - I expect many on this board will know of this place. Anyway, when I was there about 4 years ago, I noticed that many of the restaurants were offering identical American Breakfasts at identical prices. Usual stuff, bacon, sausages, ham and eggs. One place, though, broke this trend and offered baked beans. Intrigued, I thought I'd try these Lao baked beans that no other restaurant had. The result? Peanuts in ketchup!

In Thailand, I've always read/translated "American Breakfast" (ABF) in my own mind as the Thai version of "western" food (though clearly not American only) along with whatever Thai food is on offer.

In hotels ABF usually is synonymous with a breakfast buffet... I've had some upcountry where the western offerings were a mere handful, while the assortments of Thai rice porridge, soups, stir frys and other Asian items offered formed the vast majority.

It seems like, the more expensive the hotel, the larger the share of actual western/American breakfast items will be, whereas the more inexpensive the hotel, the larger the share of Thai food will be...even though the name remains ABF...

Interestingly, very common American breakfast items are both pancakes and waffles... But I've rarely seen them served at any of the Thai hotels I've stayed through the years when I was a visitor, which admittedly have been in the economy to mid-price range category. Or, when they have been served, they've been badly fixed or bad imitations of the real things...

Fortunately, I count my blessings on this, for some reason, among the Thai hotels I've stayed, I almost NEVER recall being served baked beans for breakfast....although I know they're a staple of the English, etc pub breakfasts around town.

The other day, one of my western friends told me they were overjoyed to see "potato salad" on the menu at a smaller Isaan restaurant, and they ordered it so see how authentic it might be.

The result? French fries on a bed of shredded lettuce. :o

In my opinion, the restaurant deserves a prize for cleverly "Thai-a-nizing" another western dish.

That does deserve a prize ..... a Novel Piece Prize.

Well over 20 years ago when I first settled in BKK, the concoction called American Fried Rice was offered in just abut every coffee shop and restaurant. Those were the days when Foodland on Petchabury had only Best Food Spaghetti and there was the Friday evening 11:00 o'clock "Big Cinema" farang movie with the original sound track on radio - half the time in sync.

The choice of breakfast in Soonvidjai Condo where I used to live was "American Breakfast" or Thai rice soup - the American B was just as described above with oily rice with ketchup some sliced cucumber and tomatoes (not grilled in those days) and a couple of "Be Lucky" UFO's (unidentifiable food objects) aka sausages - a usually cold fried egg crowned the rice - the only jam available at Foodland was that same artificially flavored stuff that's still around today but the toast took the highlight spot - it was a very strange Styrofoam like stuff that when toasted looked ok but on the way from the toaster to the table turned into something indescribable - the nearest description would be soft cardboard - Than I discovered Villa and the culinary part of once life improved dramatically - those where the days when BKK was still a bit of an adventure though and one didn't mind - eventually I discovered a number of western restaurants which improved once life here even further - anyone remember "Nick’s NO. 1" ? and Otto used to offer a decent breakfast as well as some places in the old "Washington Square"

Those were the days.........

• 3 weeks later...

Although not in Thailand, I used to eat at a company canteen that served what we nicknamed, NSMP.

Non Specific Meat Pie.

I have similar thoughts when served meat derived foods here, on one occasion up in the far North East, when the plate was placed in front of me I picked up a wooden toothpick and gently tossed it a few inches in front of the plate. I wanted to see if the meal remembered it's former life and wanted to chase the stick?

Well, its really no different to a friend of mine who was visiting America, and the people he was staying with said, "We've got a real treat for you, English Muffins!". He (a Brit) had never heard of English Muffins . . . .

G

I have similar thoughts when served meat derived foods here, on one occasion up in the far North East, when the plate was placed in front of me I picked up a wooden toothpick and gently tossed it a few inches in front of the plate. I wanted to see if the meal remembered it's former life and wanted to chase the stick?

:o:D:D

Hmmm. Well, maybe as authentic as much of the Thai food served abroad. Yes, none of those will be found at a real American breakfast.

perhaps because the maple syrup which americans pour over salty "sausages" :o is missing?

Both in Bangkok and up here in Isaan (Khon Kaen) three to five-star hotels advertise "American Breakfast" usually as part of your room charge. It's commonly a buffet-style setup which also includes Thai-type foods grouped in their own section.

Grilled tomatoes

Salads (lettuce with all the veggie additions you can add, with assorted salad dressings)

etc.

Where, on earth, did the Thais ever get the notion that these are "American" breakfast foods?? :D

(Yes, I know they've confused the Brit grilled tomatoes as belonging to the colonies...but what about the other weird items?)

:D They got Californicated...which is a word I made up from a combination of California and fornication. Can someone from California tell me where in h#ll did the "breakfast burrito" come from?

I grew up in a farming area in the U.S. Breakfasts were a big meal, usually after you had fed the cows, milked them, and cleaned the barn. Then you came in for a breakfast of bacon, fried eggs, oatmeal, pancakes with syrup or molasses and toast with real fruit jams (the ones your mom had bottled from last years fruit tree's fruit and kept stored in glass jars all winter). Not many places left in USA where you still can get that.

In 1979 or so I was introduced to a place on Soi 36 Sukhumvit called the Sri Guest House. Started in the days when the US military was in Thailand, and was once a place where the military quartered enlisted personel. They learned to make breakfasts the way the americans there wanted them. Even years later they had things like Scrambled Eggs with Cheese, Home Fried Potatos (Potatoes for you Brits) and the only real Chipped Beef on Toast in Bangkok (also known as SOS in the military for Sh#t on a Shingle).

Unfortunately that place has been closed for some years now.

:o

In 1979 or so I was introduced to a place on Soi 36 Sukhumvit called the Sri Guest House. Started in the days when the US military was in Thailand, and was once a place where the military quartered enlisted personel. They learned to make breakfasts the way the americans there wanted them. Even years later they had things like Scrambled Eggs with Cheese, Home Fried Potatos (Potatoes for you Brits) and the only real Chipped Beef on Toast in Bangkok (also known as SOS in the military for Sh#t on a Shingle).

Unfortunately that place has been closed for some years now.

Hi,

first time I have heard someone mention the old Sri here... those were the day's .. Somphong now has retired and lives in Minbury.... I was a regular there for many years from the mid 80's on .. it was in a side Soi of Soi 38 (Soi Saen Sabai) and the amount of beer that was consumed in the "lobby" was sensational. The more people the bigger Somphongs smile used to get until it got real busy andhe opened the "Party room" which usually ment spending the night there since driving home was out of the question later on :D

That was one of the few places where one could get a decent breakfast in those days but even he did an "American fried Rice"

A few of the old regulars are still around and have started coming to our Bistro in Ekamai Soi 23.

If you are looking for "Home Fries", good dry cured Bacon free range fried eggs and decend sausages or ribbs, at least as good as Somphongs used to be come on by. On Saturdays I'm there from about 11:00 am on and usually some of the old "Guest House club" swing by as well,

John

:D They got Californicated...which is a word I made up from a combination of California and fornication. Can someone from California tell me where in h#ll did the "breakfast burrito" come from?

Oh, you made up the word "Californicated" :o . How original! Just don't tell the Red Hot Chili Peppers or The Urban Dictionary (Californiacated defined) or Time Magazine - 21 August 1972.

The breakfast burrito, by the way, is part of southwestern cuisine, and, as with much of southwestern cuisine, originated in New Mexico and not California.

"Southwestern cuisine, New Mexican cuisine in particular, has popularized the breakfast burrito. An entire American breakfast can be wrapped inside a 15-inch flour tortilla, accompanied by field-fresh, often very hot, green chile. Southwestern breakfast burritos may include scrambled eggs, potatoes, onions, chorizo, guisado, or bacon. Tia Sophia's, a Mexican café in Sante Fe, New Mexico, claims to have invented the original breakfast burrito in 1975, filling a rolled tortilla with bacon and potatoes, served wet with chili and cheese."

I prefer a sit-down Mexican breakfast, but, a breakfast burrito will do in a pinch.

Although not in Thailand, I used to eat at a company canteen that served what we nicknamed, NSMP.

Non Specific Meat Pie.

If you're looking for genuine fresh meat, I recommend the buffet breakfast at a Bangkok Hotel I recently stayed at.

After noticing dozens of ants scurrying in and around the sugar bowl at the beverage station, I wondered what other treats were in store for me.

The cause of the problem is quite simple. In most western countries Thai restaurants are run by Thais and employ Thai cooks. They may bend to local tastes by, for instance, reducing the amount of chili they use and may also be limited to a degree by the availability of local produce, though this is not generally a big problem. But in Thailand most "western" hotels producing so-called American or English breakfasts are staffed more or less exclusively by Thais, most of whom have never been outside Thailand anyway. This is the result of the restrictive Thai laws that make it very difficult to employ foreign staff. They try to pander to western tastes but very rarely have the knowledge or skill to do so adequately.

After noticing dozens of ants scurrying in and around the sugar bowl at the beverage station, I wondered what other treats were in store for me.
On upcountry hotel's menus - the option of Issan Starters worries me.

On a nice plate of Pad Thai with chicken etc a Thai will sprinkle sugar.

When the plate of pineapple chunks is served after the main meal salt will be sprinkled on it.

Hmmm. Well, maybe as authentic as much of the Thai food served abroad. Yes, none of those will be found at a real American breakfast.

perhaps because the maple syrup which americans pour over salty "sausages" :o is missing?

Speaking as one lifelong American, I've never poured maple syrup over breakfast sausages, nor particularly ever remember seeing others from my clan doing that.... I have, however, eaten many breakfasts consisting of pancakes topped with syrup, and sausages on the side or nearby...

There is another version...often called Pigs in the Blanket...which involves putting a breakfast sausage inside a rolled up pancake, kind of like an breakfast enchilada.... But in that instance, you're still pouring syrup onto the pancake...not the sausage itself....

But, in a country of 200+ million people, I'm sure there's someone somewhere who likes their breakfast sausage a bit on the sweet side....

Actually the sweetness of a pancake flavored with maple syrup goes quite well with the taste of a good sausage.... but not syrup on the sausage itself!!!!

Speaking as one lifelong American, I've never poured maple syrup over breakfast sausages, nor particularly ever remember seeing others from my clan doing that.... I have, however, eaten many breakfasts consisting of pancakes topped with syrup, and sausages on the side or nearby...

There is another version...often called Pigs in the Blanket...which involves putting a breakfast sausage inside a rolled up pancake, kind of like an breakfast enchilada.... But in that instance, you're still pouring syrup onto the pancake...not the sausage itself....

But, in a country of 200+ million people, I'm sure there's someone somewhere who likes their breakfast sausage a bit on the sweet side....

Actually the sweetness of a pancake flavored with maple syrup goes quite well with the taste of a good sausage.... but not syrup on the sausage itself!!!!

We actually have an Apple & Leek sausage (with Cinamon) in our program which is ordered weekly by some 5 star Hotels and this is on the sweet side due to the apples. Also, Pork Roast with Apple compot is a standard dish combining sweet and savory - another is a German dish from the Cologne region which is pickled Beef in a sweet/sour sauce with raisons - and how about the old Honey rost Ham ? many middle eastern dishes combine sweet raisons with beef , chicken or lamb -

During my time in the US I have seen many people pouring maple sirup over their pancakes or over their French toast but not over sausages. I must admit though that this sort of Breakfast is far too sweet for me like the other US favorite "a cup of coffee and a danish" but this is a matter of taste.

We do now serve American Pan Cakes (with Maple Syrup) as well as "Homefries" for Breakfast (all day) at the Bistro

John

YAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for pancakes and syrup.... and home fries... to boot....

John, where does that leave the status of waffles???????????

Also, what's the basics of the weekly curry offering????

A different style curry every week served with what in the way of accompanyments????

YAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for pancakes and syrup.... and home fries... to boot....

John, where does that leave the status of waffles???????????

Also, what's the basics of the weekly curry offering????

A different style curry every week served with what in the way of accompanyments????

Love the enthusiasm :o waffles will have to wait a bit.

The Curry day is every wednesday ... like this week we have a Bombay Chicken Curry accompanied by Basmati rice and Naan for B 150.00 - next week I will make a different one, probably lamb - I do not make the Curry hot but there is a really hot sauce I made (Indian style) for those who wish to spice things up a bit. During last week I had some people mention that my Goulash was delicious but a bit hot .... hmmm .... that's only made with mildly hot paprica so I don't dare reach for the chillies

John

• 2 weeks later...

Grilled tomatoes

etc.

Where, on earth, did the Thais ever get the notion that these are "American" breakfast foods?? :o

Some Thais have a hard time grasping the concept of special foods for breakfast.... since, with a few exceptions, Thai cuisine doesnt really have such a concept... they'll serve last night's leftover curry for breakfast at home, or even phad graphao and perhaps some fried fermented fish.

Chiang Mai has what I would call an "occasional custom" of jok (rice porridge) for breakfast, but jok is also served at anytime. So, some of the less knowledgeable hotels/guest houses might think a hamburger and fries is perfectly acceptable for an American breakfast - hey, its American food, right? ...and they're serving it for breakfast!!

There is a place serving waffles all day - at Central BangNa. Right next to Mickey Dee's is "Little Home Kitchen" Can get a thick slice of ham & coffee too.

John I remember syncing up the movie on Channel 3 with the FM radio for the soundtrack. 198x.

Still good food at Texas Lone Staar in Washington. Silver Dollar opens first for you early birds.

Naam is still from another planet. Ignore the fool.

P.S. The pork & beans is a pommie thing. But heck if it's on a buffet who cares? Lots of methane in England I'm betting. Alternative fuels.

Edited by dotcom

Little Home Kitchen is a bit of a chain, with other locations including one in the basement of the Silom Complex building near Saladaeng BTS....

And yes, they make a decent thin waffle (not Belgian style), with several choices available... banana, strawberry, cashew and regular, I think.... about 60 baht or so... Pancakes also...

You guys are making me miss a home cooked breakfast. The best American style breakfast is usually done southern style. Grits with butter, sausage patty, buttermilk biscuits, eggs sunny side up, and pancakes with fresh maple syrup. No such thing as fried tomatoes in an American breakfast but quite a few southerners I grew up with eat tomato halves with salt on it.

This breakfast is heavy but it's a farmer's meal meant to last you most of the day.

Now is there any place in BKK that has a decent southern fried steak?