Good Night Spots

corkman

I'll be in BKK in a few months - I usually frequent places like Q-bar, Narcisus, Lucifers..... just looking for more of the same really I suppose, in a different venue. Sukhumvit / Silom areas are good..... but others are good too..... late closing is best :o

Any recommendations?

Thing is, I'll be there Sunday / Monday / Tusday / Wednesday nights..... obviously Friday / Saturday nights are better...... so night spots that are ok on those nights is preferrable, obvisouly.

Heard of a new place opend on Suk. Soi 11..... not Bed-Supper..... another - any good?

Somewhere I ahve always avoided like the plague is Ko San Rd. - I like bkk nightlife in particular because it is not 90% farang dominated...... I have this vision of Ko San Road being packed with Flip-Flop adorned sweeds...... (no offence to the sweeds - its just a vision I have - goodt partee for sure - with blonde matted dreads and wooden beads..... and a spiteful looking GF glaring at my nice slim sexy thai wife as though she had no right to be in her own country......). Am I being silly avoiding the Ko San area?

Many thanks.......

Somewhere I have always avoided like the plague is Ko San Rd. - I like bkk nightlife in particular because it is not 90% farang dominated...... I have this vision of Ko San Road being packed with Flip-Flop adorned sweeds...... (no offence to the sweeds - its just a vision I have - good partee for sure - with blonde matted dreads and wooden beads..... and a spiteful looking GF glaring at my nice slim sexy thai wife as though she had no right to be in her own country......). Am I being silly avoiding the Ko San area?

Many thanks.......

Alot of people have the same idea as you about Khao San Road, and certainly, a night in Guliver's and you'd be right on the money with your accessment, but there are many places like The Brick Bar, Sabai Sabai, Bangkok Bar, Deep, and The Club where a very high percentage of the clientele are Thai. Sure, you'll still get your matted dreadheads, but you may well be surprised of the number of Thai's that go out in Khao San Road.

If you still don't fancy it, then maybe you should take a trip to RCA, Royal City Avenue, near Pharam 9. Any taxi driver will know 'RCA'. There you will find a number of large clubs on one strip, full of young Thai's. Another place worth a visit is the nearby Ratchada Soi 4, again, alot of bars and clubs aimed at young Thai folk.

If you're looking to go a little more upmarket you could try one of the many clubs in Thong Lor. Santika is my personal favourite here. http://www.santikaclub.com/home.php

Edited by thecatman

The new bar on Suk Soi 11 that you're talking about is Twisted, I believe. I've been there once and had a pretty good time. It's a pretty nice place, decent DJ, cool lights. But I'm not sure how packed it gets. When I went it was fun mostly because I was there with so many friends.

Gazebo is new. It opened on Suk Soi 1, right at the mouth of the soi, you don't need to turn in. There's a dance floor and also a lounge area with hookah.

I went to Club Culture near Phaya Thai BTS this weekend and really liked it. They play good music, not the typical hip hop or house, more indie dance music type stuff. Lots of foreigners though, I was surprised.

Scratchdog (I forget where it is tho) is a good after hours place. It's open til 4 and so it gets reaaaallly packed after the other clubs close. Drinks aren't that expensive, especially if you buy a bottle. When I was there, they played some good music to dance too. However, it was a bit too crowded and not that much space to move.

And of course RCA is great. I forget which club it was (maybe Route?) that had this massive bathroom with like three different sections to it and one part was like a powder room with these emo looking guys playing guitar and singing. I just thought it was so extravagant. RCA is nice because you can go inside and dance but you can also sit outside and just chill. If you've never been, then I def recommend.

Scratchdog (I forget where it is tho) is a good after hours place. It's open til 4 and so it gets reaaaallly packed after the other clubs close. Drinks aren't that expensive, especially if you buy a bottle. When I was there, they played some good music to dance too. However, it was a bit too crowded and not that much space to move.

Scratchdog is in the basement of The Windsor Suite Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Yeah, The newish place on Soi 11 is Twisted Republic, opened Nov 07. http://www.twistedrepublic.com/

Edited by thecatman

Barbar is rocking most nights!

Sunrise07 - LOL :o - not quite what I had in mind...... maybe if I could ditch the Mrs for a few hours :D .... LOL.... send her off for some som-tam-bok-bok...... :D

thecatman / janj

Thanks for the replies - excellent!

Well I'll be staying on Suk Soi 11 - so I'll definitely check out that Twisted Republic Place. RCA - no, not been there - definitely going to give it a look - Ratchada Soi 4 I have heard of before, I think - so I'll try and get to that too..... and then there's the other half dozen places you've mentioned! Excellent. More than enough for me to choose from here I think guys :D Thanks a Million!

Definitely going to take a look at that Scratchdog place too....... if I'm still standing.......

Any casual "evening" bars that you could recommend? By casual evening bars - I mean somewhere with an outside area where you can go at about 5pm, when there is still a bit of daylight around, where you can do a bit of people watching - it doesn't need to be classy - just easy going and friendly...... there used to be a few "beer-bars" on the street on Suk between soi 11 and robinsons - nice and easy to sit there, watch people walk past, have a laugh and joke with girls in the bar - sanuk sanuk and all that..... me & the Mrs.(who is Thai BTW) - clean fun etc. - I don't mean a bit of naughty naughty..... somewhere for a causual few before dinner sort of thing.....

THanks a mil guys,

Matt

Any casual "evening" bars that you could recommend? By casual evening bars - I mean somewhere with an outside area where you can go at about 5pm, when there is still a bit of daylight around, where you can do a bit of people watching - it doesn't need to be classy - just easy going and friendly...... there used to be a few "beer-bars" on the street on Suk between soi 11 and robinsons - nice and easy to sit there, watch people walk past, have a laugh and joke with girls in the bar - sanuk sanuk and all that..... me & the Mrs.(who is Thai BTW) - clean fun etc. - I don't mean a bit of naughty naughty..... somewhere for a causual few before dinner sort of thing.....

THanks a mil guys,

Matt

Hummmmmmm, Nothing immediately springs to mind. Guliver's on Soi 5 has a half decent outside area, maybe OK. I can't really thing of too many more though, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Cheap charlies soi 11. Stupidly priced drinks 60bht everything! Weekend produce some really good looking young expat girls and tourists, a real mixed bag and you can move on from there to twisted etc

Some of the places in Khao San aren't that bad. Yeah, its full of backpackers, but it's also a 10 minute walk from Thammasat University, and there are bars and clubs that are 95% Thai in addition to more backpacker type bars, or pickup joints like Gullivers.

Besides that I'd recommend RCA and Ratchada Soi 4 as well. There's a bunch of clubs to choose from in both of these places. RCA definitely has a lot more foreigners than Soi 4, but is still overwhelmingly Thai.

THanks a mil guys,

Matt

One of the best places for people watching is the outside restaurant/bar at the Landmark. Excellent show...

Another place to go in early evening that you can take the Mrs is the X-box in the Raja parking lot. The [part] owner's wife is Thai and is there most early evenings.

TH

Barbar is rocking most nights!

Sunrise07 - LOL :o - not quite what I had in mind...... maybe if I could ditch the Mrs for a few hours :D .... LOL.... send her off for some som-tam-bok-bok...... :D

thecatman / janj

Thanks for the replies - excellent!

Well I'll be staying on Suk Soi 11 - so I'll definitely check out that Twisted Republic Place. RCA - no, not been there - definitely going to give it a look - Ratchada Soi 4 I have heard of before, I think - so I'll try and get to that too..... and then there's the other half dozen places you've mentioned! Excellent. More than enough for me to choose from here I think guys :D Thanks a Million!

Definitely going to take a look at that Scratchdog place too....... if I'm still standing.......

THanks a mil guys,

Matt

check out nest for evening after dark. roofdeck fenix hotel soi 11.