Snake Infestation

pnustedt

1. snakes do not have ears, and do not hear; they feel vibrations and will usually respond with going away when the vibes are very heavy. snakes uses the vibes, scent (thru their tongue), heat sensors if they have them like in our desert vipers to hunt prey... heavy vibes may seem to the snake as enemy and not prey, and therefore go away , or get angry....

2. cats are good against vipers but cobras are large

3. mongooses are a mixed blessing; they do damage in the chicken houses but control snake and rodent populations; snakes control rodent etc populations...a good way to keep snakes away is to make sure that all garbage is disposed of (tight covers -- never saw this type of garbage can where i was in thailand--- or burn as i saw in villages) so no prey for the predators....

what is protective clothing against snakes except for high top leather shoes and i havent seen to many villagers with dr. martens high tops

our desert vipers climb up flights of stairs to hide in buckets and junk lying around including shoes left outside-- solution, dont leave junk lying around

4. all fangs have holes in them at the ends for injecting the toxins; some poisonous snakes dont have fangs but their toxins are in their saliva

5. the poison of naja naja (cobra) is used in many pharmaceuticals but can be bought thru merck chemicals catalogue only with a special licsence.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of at least a few of them for you, but it will have to wait until Decemeber at least because I have parts coming in for my motorcycle and can't make it to you for a while. If you have no luck with the sulphur, let me know.

I also have a few snakes in my garden, my fault, I dumped a truck load of big sandstone rocks, they are to make a ornamental koi pond, but not got round to doing it yet, on the phone yesterday to my brother in law, he told me the snakes have moved in, they have made a nest under the rocks, now i have snakes, sparrows, two problems, (the mrs aint to bad) :o

In India the common wisdom is that if you have peafowl (peacocks, peahen, peachicks) you will have no snakes.....peafowl eat baby snakes....and they also make a sound so loud you will not believe that it came from the throat of a living creature....but they are beautiful, you can sell the feathers or play with them, and they are delicious!!

My wife seems to know about the sulphur - will get some. Tks for all the tips.

Just wondering about peafowl - anyone know where you can get them in LOS? Also, will they get along with the geese?

I'm also gonna check out the local hospitals to see if they stock the anti-venom and how much time I have if I get bitten - the nearest hospital is about 45 mins. away by car (if I was bitten I guess I would first have to find someone to drive). I do have a bad reaction to most insect bites/stings and am quite worried about a snake bite. Is there anything in particular that I could do if I get bitten, or to help someone else. Could I buy an anti-venom and administer it myself?

I recall John Wayne cutting open a snake bite and sucking out the vennom! :o

I recall John Wayne cutting open a snake bite and sucking out the vennom! :o

Do NOT try to suck out or squeeze out venom from a snake bite. Leave it alone and get medical attention ASAP if you are bitten. Also, if the snake can be captured safely (or killed) after you are bitten, do that and bring it with you as that increase the chances that you get the correct antivenom.

And yep, if you're far away from a proper medical facility it may be a good idea to buy and stock your own antivenom although it can be a bit expensive.

Some previous poster mentioned glue-traps; I use ordinary duct tape laid out upside down for the occasional small snake. A king cobra won't get stuck though...

If ever bitten, stay calm and do not run (only makes the venom move quicker) wrap something tightly around the wound and going up from there. You do not want to cut off circulation completely but do wrap tight. Have someone to transport you to hospital as 45 minutes and the venom will be affecting you.

They say here in Isaan, that lemongrass and also gahlankaroot is repellent to snakes.

Some years ago I worked with army batallions in Kashmir in the mountains both on the Pakistani and the Indian side. After setting up tents in the evening after a daylong march, the soldiers always digged or redigged ditches around the tents. About 1 foot deep and 1 foot broad. The officers told me, that snakes do not cross such a ditch.

Olaus

I would like to correct a little falacy from above, the King Cobra does not spit. Indeed there are no spitting cobras found in Asia, they are an African species. Cobras normally found in Thailand are the King cobra and the common or Indian cobra. Both bite and inject a neurotoxin. Have a look at Cobra.Org - The cobra information page.

Indeed , as an ex snake buff I can identify one of the African species as the Rinkals ( Ring necked spitting cobra) The other I believe to be the Egyptian.

Sorry off topic.

:o

I think the deadliest in terms of numbers of fatalities

is reported to be the saw scaled viper.

The most venomous drop for drop I think is either

the Australian Black or the Australian Brown Snake, I cant

remember which....also the Fears snake and the Inland Taipan.

Good news for us .....they're all Ozzie snakes.

aka the Soapies revenge.

:o

Try lemongrass, sulphur or whatever the thais told you will work. It will not work. If there was somthing who keeps the snake away your garden, you can be sure the Thais was already in the business. I tried it all. If you need the a warning about snakes?

Get a dog and a cat.