Samak's Popularity In Bangkok Drops Sharply: Poll

george

PM's popularity in Bangkok drops sharply: Poll

BANGKOK: -- The popularity of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej among the Thai capital's residents has dropped sharply, with more than half being quite unhappy with the behaviour of politicians in general, according to a survey by the Assumption University ABAC Poll.

The survey was conducted to seek the opinions of people living in metro Bangkok and its environs with a random sample of 2,008 persons on "The Current Political Situation in the Eyes of Public."

It found 87.8 per cent of people surveyed felt uneasy with the conduct of politicians across the board at present, with 61.5 per cent believing that proceeding with the constitutional amendment process will lead to violence, 60.6 per cent saying they think there might be a coup, and 59.9 per cent fearing there will be a seriously disruptive incident in Bangkok.

Asked how they felt about the performance of the political parties they elected to solving people's hardship, 58.6 per cent said they were disappointed while 41.4 per cent stated they were not.

Asked which ministers should be removed if there is a cabinet reshuffle, 39.5 per cent opted Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak, 37.8 and 33.9 per cent chose Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and Prime Minster's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair respectively.

The survey showed public support for the premier had dropped significantly to 21.4 per cent in May from 45.4 per cent in February, while public discontent had increased to 47.3 per cent from 36.8 per cent previously.

Asked for the best way out of the current political impasse, 38.6 per cent said there should be a cabinet reshuffle, 26.6 per cent stated there should be a new election and 17 per cent thought the constitution should be amended.

--TNA 2008-05-22

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much in fighting, out for themselves and that is before corruption. It will never change. Been around Asia for nearly forty years, it is what stops this region taking over the world.

Their problem let them get on with it.

One day they will learn they can be wealthier then they ever imagined if they stop thinking of today.

It's not only in Bangkok, either. The rice farmers aren't amused at the way they're getting shafted considering this year's high prices, and the government hasn't been in a hurry to help the poor in general.

Knowing the guy's "credentials" , one can wonder how he could ever be popular in the first place ....

It's not only in Bangkok, either. The rice farmers aren't amused at the way they're getting shafted considering this year's high prices, and the government hasn't been in a hurry to help the poor in general.

Knowing the guy's "credentials" , one can wonder how he could ever be popular in the first place ....

His only credential was that he was running against supporters of a hideous military coup. It's really to bad that nobody that had the balls to oppose the coup ran against him.

he wasn't he gave money.

His only credential was that he was running against supporters of a hideous military coup. It's really to bad that nobody that had the balls to oppose the coup ran against him.

what was so "hideous"?

Yeah, just like 92.7% of the Myanmar people don't mind the military junta there either!

And how do you know that? Thailand had relatively free elections the majority of the population voted for various "military stooges", not that it matters to them.

His party was the only one opposing the coup. The rest of the country (60%+) didn't care.

yes because they were not finished filling their pockets with Thailands money and they bad army stopped that.

Than they used the dirty money to pay the idiots who don't care for their votes and as they got caught with unlawful paying people, they want to change the law.

My guess, soon there is a new coup and 7 from 8 people in my office hope that it is sooner than later.

His party was the only one opposing the coup. The rest of the country (60%+) didn't care.

yes because they were not finished filling their pockets with Thailands money and they bad army stopped that.

Than they used the dirty money to pay the idiots who don't care for their votes and as they got caught with unlawful paying people, they want to change the law.

My guess, soon there is a new coup and 7 from 8 people in my office hope that it is sooner than later.

You have a remarkably strong faith in the moral integrity of the Thai Military that I just do not share! So be it!

You have a remarkably strong faith in the moral integrity of the Thai Military that I just do not share! So be it!

No I don't have a good faith in the moral integrity of the Thai Military. Specially I don't want to see how they fill their pockets if they are 5 years in power.

But they were for 1 year less corrupt than the government before. The government before was not democratic elected. This government isn't really democratic elected (else they wouldn't change the constitution).

So a coup is the only way of these people who damage the country and don't do anything else than taking as much money as possible.

Quote from the nation:

"AFTER last year's military coup, the Thai junta approved a 33.8 per cent increase for the 2007 defence budget and another 24.3 per cent for 2008. Further defence procurement is speculated to include submarines and the delayed purchase of armoured personnel carriers (APCs). Is this the beginning of a well-planned military modernisation programme or is it merely a response to arms procurement elsewhere in the region? "

That is about 8% of govt spending!!!!

And wouldn't this money have possibly have been spent better on schools or hospitals perhaps or are we expecting Thailand to have to defend itself against the marauding hoards from nearby in the near future.

The coup was a power struggle for power, not about slapping anyone's wrist for buying an election.

Just to add some perspective on this, from '97, when the budget was cut by some 25%, onwards the defence budget, at best, {during Thaksins's time the budgets were notably shaved} increased in line with inflation, which realistically resulted in less money being allocated. Also the budget in GDP terms is nowhere near the '80s one, now 1% against some 4 to 5% then. By the by the current Thai defence budge is less than Malaysia or Indonesia and @ 1/3rd that of Singapore!

If all the suggested purchases occurred over the next few years {unlikely} the budget would edge to 2% GDP.

Yes it could be spent better, and accountability is a major issue {but 2 out of the three comparators have a poor reputation in that as well}, but realistically the claims of undue expenditure don't bear out, incorrect decisions though is another matter.

Regards

Thailand political (civil / army) scene is a shame ...

But can anyone ... give the name of a political leader (anywhere) they would appreciate to run (any) country ?

Politics is in the hand of financial interests only ... and that is depressing ...

Thailand political (civil / army) scene is a shame ...

But can anyone ... give the name of a political leader (anywhere) they would appreciate to run (any) country ?

Politics is in the hand of financial interests only ... and that is depressing ...

I think many people know it is not the leaders that are the problem.

It is the common man's lack of involvement.

If individuals won't get involved in managing their environment,

governments will take their money and pay someone to do it

in the way that they choose.

Samak is the least of Thailand's problems.

Hence Jakrapob's speech on patronage system that landed him in hot water.

The hypocrisy of it all was that Thaksin wanted to use this system for his own advantage, not to improve it.

People get involved only when their rulers allow them.

Of course, the military coups and the perpetrators behind them are real problem!

No, they are the results of a society that doesn't learn from it mistakes, avoids responsibility and accountability, and where corruption is epidemic. :o

In Prem vs. Thaksin's patronage, I'd go for Prem.

Bit like choosing between being strangled or throttled.

One of the problems with this neverending "whose side are you on" debate, is that it excludes (purposefully?) any debate on meaningful change for the good of all and also almost totally removes any consideration of suggestions made by the "enemy" that may actually hold some common good. I doubt much worthwhile will happen until a move is made away from the bitter, good versus evil, and egomaniacal personality based nature of what is happening. Having a simplistic good versus bad analysis of anything is not only far too simplistic to reflect real life but also doomed to inevitable failure.

In Prem vs. Thaksin's patronage, I'd go for Prem.

Bit like choosing between being strangled or throttled.

One of the problems with this neverending "whose side are you on" debate, is that it excludes (purposefully?) any debate on meaningful change for the good of all and also almost totally removes any consideration of suggestions made by the "enemy" that may actually hold some common good. I doubt much worthwhile will happen until a move is made away from the bitter, good versus evil, and egomaniacal personality based nature of what is happening. Having a simplistic good versus bad analysis of anything is not only far too simplistic to reflect real life but also doomed to inevitable failure.

I don't disagree in principle but fortunately the debate on this forum is on the whole conducted by foreigners with too much time on their hands.None of our musings -whether intelligent or otherwise matters a jot or has any impact on the Thai body politic.Having said that my post was not one sided but suggested a plague on both your houses.Plus was also correct in implying that the battle ahead is between what these rather unattractive figures stand for (lets call them the Thai equivalent of Petain and Berlusconi).To that extent whose side are you on is a question of some relevance.If you expect politics to be a civilised and sensible compromise one had better look to Sweden or New Zealand.Here it's more like winner take all:that's certainly been the history up to now and a one sided one at that with the Bangkok elite having effectively monopolised the national trough with their greedy snouts.

I have no opinions about Samak or any other politicians in this country as they are all a bunch of _________! However I am concerned about any media that publishers the poll results from ABAC. Can ABAC please publicise their poll techniques and methods plus get an outside auditor to monitor it and also please publicise the qualifications of those initiating and supervising the polls because honestly ABAC is an institutition with very little credibility! Its run by money minded Catholics and most of the students are rich kids who could not make it to the decent Universities plus the teaching methods at ABAC have a lot to be questioned about let alone their other so-called entities on the campuses including the poll unit. Although their programmes are meant to be in English, they have numerous Lecturers there who cannot even communicate in English and conduct their lessons in Thai and some of their English Lecturers are from Third World Countries , cannot even speak decent English. I have first hand experience there as my younger brother was enrolled there as an international student and after a year, I got him out and sent him to study in Sydney. ABAC is more of a recreational campus for kids with no future except their parents wealth. Also ABAC should also publish what is their objective in initiating some of these polls and where is the funding coming from.I reallt think that maybe this government should also initiate proper inquiry into ABAC financials!

As far as I can tell, members please confirm....

The public missed Thaksin during the period of military rule, so as soon as Thaksin gave his support for the PPP, they won easily.

Samak is only in power because of his support from Thaksin right????