New Domestic Thai Airline

Goshawk

It seems that a new Thai airline is born... Air Phoenix

details are sketchy at the moment, but from what i can get from the web they will be operating a single YS-11 aircraft, based out of DMK and flying to Chiangmai and Korat

img2793wt7.jpg

img2735rj8.jpg

there's an official website here

and more pix and detail (in Thai) here

As a resident expert in the field of aviation, I would like to make known my appraisal on the new airline's cabin staff...

Phwoooaaaaarrrrrrr!

:o

Yes I was looking at the plane 1st thinking (god save us all)

Then I look at the air hostesses and thought (we only live once)

details are sketchy at the moment, but from what i can get from the web they will be operating a single YS-11 aircraft, based out of DMK and flying to Chiangmai and Korat

img2793wt7.jpg

img2735rj8.jpg

That plane went out of production in....1974.

And I see links on that page to 12Go and Orient Thai.

lol !

whats that got to do with anything? :D

believe it or not, there are aircraft flying around today that went out of production long before that date.. :o

isaan air is a well known joke, this is genuine

lol !

whats that got to do with anything? :D

believe it or not, there are aircraft flying around today that went out of production long before that date.. :o

isaan air is a well known joke, this is genuine

I'd be tempted to fly on this as an aviation enthusiast. Might be a bit nervous to send wife and child (if I had one) though.

Shame they don't reopen Surin and have a flight going there too. Quite a few westerners there.

Edited by tw25rw

A SINGLE YS-11 aircraft, to support that ammount of staff(49)? :o

Penkoprod

Hi

Could this be 1 of the ex Phuket Air aircraft?

If so it was originally delivered to All Nippon aws circa 1956ish, a darn sight older than the most senior member of their aircrew.

But a nice paint job :D

TBWG :D

Also a rather unfortunate choice of name!

Edited by TBWG

Also a rather unfortunate choice of name!

No kidding, huh? It just dawned on me when I read your post. The mythical bird that self-combusts, and then rises from the ashes!

What were they possibly thinking??

What a terrible name for and airline. I wonder if they realize that the Phoenix was a mythological bird which "rose from the flame and ashes". I would prefer my aircraft to simply rise safely from the runway.

post-23727-1211961973_thumb.jpg

Phoenix

A SINGLE YS-11 aircraft, to support that ammount of staff(49)? :o

Penkoprod

It does seem an amazing number of staff just to support one aircraft.

Minimum wage?

I think that plane will be kept pretty busy so they won't all be working at the same time..

At first blush this did appear hoax-like but a search of the tail number, HS-APA, reveals many details and photographs. Even the OP's initial comments expressed trepidation ("...It seems like...", "..details are sketchy...") which along with the cheesy photographs pointed towards a spoof.

It's funny that so many have an issue with the name of the airline, as if the founders where somehow unaware of the mythology when they chose the name, which is quite frankly extremely positive (re-birth, a new flight), in my view. Phoenix, Arizona seems to survive quite nicely, thank you. By far, the oddest thing is the timing of getting into the aviation business. I couldn't imagine a worse time, excluding September 12, 2001 perhaps.

I think many remember Warren Buffett's famous quote re: investing in commercial aviation, "If a capitalist had been present at Kittyhawk back in the early 1900s, he should have shot Orville Wright.". He went on to say, "I have an 800 number now that I call if I get the urge to buy an airline stock. I call at two in the morning and I say: "My name is Warren and I'm an aeroholic." And then they talk me down." NetJets being an altogether different 'bird'.

Safe journies to all who fly HS-APA.

Is anyone informed able to tell me if that aircraft is able to achieve the altitude capable of allowing a passenger to join the "mile high club"?

If so, book me a window seat return to wherever (left side, near the exit).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest News...

Air Phoenix are now operating their first (and at present, only) service to... Mae Sot

price is 2500 THB one way, detail is here

they've also now got their very own wikipedia entry

this ones for you Baht Simpson :D

what a great deal to fly on an absolute classic airplane.. (if only i had a reason to go to Mae Sot) :o

What a terrible name for and airline. I wonder if they realize that the Phoenix was a mythological bird which "rose from the flame and ashes". I would prefer my aircraft to simply rise safely from the runway.

post-23727-1211961973_thumb.jpg

Phoenix

Rising is optional......

Landing is obligatory

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Reminiscent of Isaan Air .

Whoa! I remember the original Isaan Air site from a couple of years ago but it's had some major changes since then! Now dangerously subversive - "Republic of Isaan" and "Battle for Isaan" - and what's that "No Fly List" all about?

Re Air Phoenix, at least their www site is still up, altho nothing is happening:

http://www.air-phoenix.com/index1.html

Reservation questions Air-Phoenix Co., Ltd .

71/42 Moo6 North Gate Villa, Soi Vibhavadi-Rangsit 64 Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210

Tel : +66 2900 5454, Mobile: +66 86305 5542 Fax : +66 2900 5451

e-mail : [email protected].

Here's aircraft status:

HS-APA NAMC YS-11A-227 c/n 2135 ex JQ2135, JA8763, RP-C3586

R06-Mar-08 to Air Phoenix; dd to Don Muang 19-Mar-08; believed never entered service and stored at Don Muang thro’ Aug-08; current Nov-08 (noted as ‘ceased operations since June 08’)

Mac

Anything called phoenix is generally something that has been resurrected from the ruin of a previous incarnation, so I'd look tot he list of directors for familiar names from some previous failed airline(s).

Before reaching this thread I was wondering, having read several threads on the new 15 day overland rule, how long it would be before someone opened a no-thrills, 2 or 3 times a day, low altitude, air-hop to an adjacent country for visa runners. I wonder if a prop-driven outfit like this could simply fly out from HKT into international airspace (22.2km), turn around and return to HKT for a plane-load of 30 day entries?

could simply fly out from HKT into international airspace (22.2km), turn around and return to HKT for a plane-load of 30 day entries?

Can't happen. Just leaving one country's 'airspace' and returning to an airport in the same country of departure would count as 'did not depart'. I'm pretty sure I have a stamp in my passport, stamped over my departure stamp - which says exactly that.

You must land in a different country, and 'enter' the country (pass through immigration) before it is considered you left the first country...