Send Fax From Mobile Phone?

JSixpack

I need to send a fax now and then and wonder how I might send it through my mobile phone connected to my computer. I have a Nokia w/ cable; no bluetooth but I could get bluetooth.

Presumably the computer, and a fax client application, would see the phone as a modem. Anybody know?

Set your phone up as a modem. Then tell your fax program to use the phone.

One thing you'll have to do, and that is ask your mobile phone operator to allow data calls. On AIS this is only possible if you have a post-paid account!

If datacalls are not activated, your phone will disconnect the call the moment the fax machine picks up...

You need to check if the modem in the telephone is FAX capable. Not every telephone modem is FAX capable, same as regular computer modems, you have modems and fax/modems....

Not sure about that!

GSM phones do not have modems inside them.

They just have a digital wireless link to the base station, usable both for voice (digitized) and data.

When you use a gsm phone to connect to a modem or a fax, you are actually using a modem located at the GSM operator (at the MSC, the mobile switching center), hence the need to activate this service with your phone operator (AIS or Dtac).

In short, a GSM phone can only in transmit digital form, while modems and faxes work with analogue sounds (the "screeching" of a modem), so at the MSC the digital data stream will get transformed in those analogue sounds, much like a regular modem transforms the digital data coming from your PC into the the screeching sounds it will send out over your phone line!

You can also get a "fax number" for your GSM, this will be a second number, which will directly be coupled to a modem at the GSM operator, which then will forward the digitized data to your GSM phone allowing you to receive incoming faxes.