Asus Eee Pc

Chivas

Hi

It came with a 5800 mAh battery ( I have ordered and received 2 extra batteries bought on eBay, one 6600 and one 10400, both for my 701, but they fit perfectly on the 900 )

The webcam works perfectly, wifi too, but I saw on some blogs that the 900 wifi is not as sensitive as the one on the 701, maybe due to a different antenna. Anyway, so far so good, I have not noticed any difference.

I am typing this on the 900, worth every single baht I "invested". I was thinking of maybe getting the MSI Wind cause of the Atom processor and better battery life, but actually I have what I need with the asus 900, so I do not think I will change ( unless the "geek" attitude becomes too strong...)

Let us know your impressions if you buy one.

Good day

Phil

Hi guys,

My advice is : Do not buy the Asus EeePc 900 !

It's only a transitional computer and the 901, with Atom processor and low consumption, is already available in Taiwan

http://www.blogeee.net/2008/06/02/le-eeepc...in-au-computex/

If you prefer bigger screen, the Asus EeePc 1001 has already been presented and will be available from the 12th of june

http://www.blogeee.net/2008/06/03/exclusif...-du-eeepc-1000/

Sorry for links in French. Probably somewhere on eeeuser.com too.

Pattaya46

Computex 2008 has just started in taiwan and there will be a few more UMPCs on debut there.

over the next week we will have a ew more devices to look at

and canonical is releasing a version of Ubuntu specifically designed for UMPCs

I wouldn't rush out and buy anything yet

not forgetting Nvidia's new tegra chip with very low power consumption ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra_csx.html ) , it will have an impact later in the year also - as long as you do not require windows as your operating system

The 901 looks really good but I'm just not sure when we can expect it here. How quick came the EEE to Thailand after its release? What do you guys think when will the 901 hit Thailand?

I want a basic umpc within the next 4 weeks and as my main work just involves a bit coding here and then and using a browser / email client the 900 will be fine I guess. The screen was the most important point for me because the regular EEE 701 screen is just too small.

Edited by freitag1

Hi guys,

My advice is : Do not buy the Asus EeePc 900 !

Pattaya46

If you read Blogeee.net ( are you French ?), you will see that the opinions are differing between the Celeron and the Atom. The latter has better battery life, but the bench marks do not show a clear advantage to the Atom, depending on your main applications.

To me the 900 is a good little machine. Sure the 901 is coming soon, and then the 1001 will follow, and many others from many manufacturers. I just wanted to have something without the imperfections of the 701, ie the very small screen and the general look ( with that black band around the screen).With a bigger battery ( true, the original battery does not offer a very long using time), I think I will be OK.

I am embarking tonight for a trip to France with my eee900 instead of my usual laptop, I will see if I am still happy when I return....

Phil

Well today something weird happened. I went to Pantip found the 900 but somehow decided to buy a camera and stick with my old laptops for mobility (one 2 year old acer and a 1 year old ibook). But I'm happy with that. Even though the 900 would have been lots of fun the Canon 40D made more sense to me. I will wait for the 901 because of the longer battery life.

I would really like to see the MSI Wind in action, as this guide rates it pretty high. But I was in Fortune and looked for the MSI-shop, but were unable to find it. Could someone who has been there give me a clue as where to find it?

Hi

Last time I went to Fortune, i wrote down the name of the shop selling MSI brand.

It is called E-Sys and it'son the 3rd floor. You might miss it as it is really a tiny shop... I went there a few days ago and actually saw a Wind, but did not stay long enough to have a proper demo, as the guy looked rather busy. He gave me a release date, which I forgot, but I remember it is sometime mid June.

Phil

Hi,

For people in Pattaya :

I saw the EeePcc 900 for sale today at TukCom for 19.900 baht in WATANA shop on 3rd floor.

It was 19h30 and the shop was closing, so no time to look for more info...

Will try to go back soon.

Hi

Last time I went to Fortune, i wrote down the name of the shop selling MSI brand.

It is called E-Sys and it'son the 3rd floor. You might miss it as it is really a tiny shop... I went there a few days ago and actually saw a Wind, but did not stay long enough to have a proper demo, as the guy looked rather busy. He gave me a release date, which I forgot, but I remember it is sometime mid June.

Phil

I was there today but didn't have the name of the shop with me. Many stores were closed though, up through Saturday I believe, as there is some market going on at the convention center. I'll be there Sunday to inquire about the release date as I'm ready to by a Wind the day it comes out, after trying out a demo unit first of course. One site says June 16 is the availability date, but I don't know if that's also for Thailand.

I'm really interested in the larger keyboard on the Wind as the Eee PC seemed too small when I tried typing on it. I'm a little worried about the weight though, 2.6lbs for the WinXP model with larger 6 cell battery that is supposed to last 5.5 hours. Might be a bit larger and heavier than ideal. Along with that they have a newer Wind in the works for early next year that's lighter, etc, but I can't wait that long. The there are the Dell and HP UMPC's...

Pilou, did the sales guy metion a price for the Wind? Sites I've read say $499 USD for the XP version, which should be around 16k baht, but things always end up being more expensive here in Thailand than the US. I'm expecting 20k - 25k which could put me off a bit if the weight and size also aren't ideal once I get to put my hands on it.

MSI%20Wind%20GI.jpg

Could the MSI "Wind" be the one to take the "wind" out of ASUS eee's sales?

MSI Wind: a first look

If they are available in Chiang Mai within June they will be able to sell 3 of them to me, as it is the birthday of all of my three kids coming up in the first week in July and everyday they tell me that they have to have....need...want...desire a computer. Since we have WI-FI in the house, at the office and also at the kids school I am willing to make the jump. However I think MSI is our best chance. Unless of course we waited forever for the DELL to make its way onto the scene.

The MSI Wind DEFINITELY looks more attractive than the ASUS (especially after reading the reviews & specs) - I was planning on getting my daughter a basic mini-notebook since she's discovered the wonders of the internet on DISNEY and PBS learning activities (on her daddys laptop :o ) but seeing there isn't much difference in price for the features the MSI Wind has over the ASUS, the WIND (especially since it will be available in pink) looks like a hands down winner AND will definitely be useful for me to use while we're traveling.

Edited by MsFigure

"Pilou, did the sales guy metion a price for the Wind? "

Sorry, no, I did not ask at that time, but I will rush to Fortune to see it is available as soon as I will be back from France.

"The MSI Wind DEFINITELY looks more attractive than the ASUS "

I may end up buying a eee901 or a Wind, but so far the Asus eee900 is almost exactly what I was looking for. I do not need a big hard disk, and connection to internet is working very well, only if the Wind keyboard is much better will I consider buying one. I am highly satisfied with the 900, I am traveling around France visiting my rather large family, and changing home almost daily, can consult my mails and surf the net, watch movies on train, show my pictures around etc etc..

Phil

The biggest and most important benefit for me why I wait for the 901 now is the new processor and the 6 hours I might be able to use this little beast. 2-3 or even 4 hours feels so restrictive to me but 6 hours is great. I can watch at least 2-3 movies.

Today at Fortune, I saw the Asus eee701 at 8450 bahts incl. VAT, the 900 still at 19100 bahts.

No signs of the 901 or the Wind yet, also saw the new HTC Diamond PDA Phone at 29900, looks very nice.

Phil

Taiwan prices as of today - 701 is NT10000, 900 NT15000, 901 NT17000, direct from the Asus shop. Both the 900 and 901 have different configs - the Linux version comes with 20Gb SSH disk, while the Win XP version comes with 12Gb SSH disk - but the price is the same.

I would highly recommend getting the Linux version and installing Windows yourself. Sorely tempted to go back and get the 901 before I fly home Monday.

Exchange rate is roughly .90 NT= 1 baht.

Edited by onethailand

• 1 month later...
Today at Fortune, I saw the Asus eee701 at 8450 bahts incl. VAT

Phil

Hey Phil

I spend two days looking for an Asus EEE 701 4gb in several places (Pantip, Zeer Rangsit, Fortune) and didn't find any.

Last month I saw plenty everywhere for 7,900 baht (retail price). Looks like Asus took them out from the market.

If any one of you guys is willing to sell yours for a reasonable price please drop me a PM.

Phil

Hey Phil

I spend two days looking for an Asus EEE 701 4gb in several places (Pantip, Zeer Rangsit, Fortune) and didn't find any.

Last month I saw plenty everywhere for 7,900 baht (retail price). Looks like Asus took them out from the market.

If any one of you guys is willing to sell yours for a reasonable price please drop me a PM.

try carrefour. thought i saw an advert on it.

Phil

Hey Phil

Well, actually the last time I went to Fortune ( that must have been about 4 or 5 days ago ), I did not see any more 701's on display anywhere either.

New models are coming fast, I read on a French website that Asus would soon have about 23 different models of netbooks in their catalog...

I may have a 8 Gb 701 available for sale soon, if it happens i will PM you...

Phil

Phil

Hey Phil

Well, actually the last time I went to Fortune ( that must have been about 4 or 5 days ago ), I did not see any more 701's on display anywhere either.

New models are coming fast, I read on a French website that Asus would soon have about 23 different models of netbooks in their catalog...

I may have a 8 Gb 701 available for sale soon, if it happens i will PM you...

Phil

What about the EEE 901 - is it possible to buy 901 in Thailand/Bangkok now?

Yes , I have seen the 901 ( and the 1000H as well ) in at least in 2 places, Fortune and Zeer Rangsit, so I guess it must be at Panthip too, price was 19150 at Fortune.

Phil

Edited by pilou

Yes , I have seen the 901 ( and the 1000H as well ) in at least in 2 places, Fortune and Zeer Rangsit, so I guess it must be at Panthip too, price was 19150 at Fortune.

Phil

Great! Is it difficult to find it with an English/non-Thai keyboard? And what about warranty, does it come with an international or local (Thailand) warranty only?

I found the 901 in this Thai webshop ToHome.com but if you look at the specs, they claim it has the 4-cell battery. But surely that must be wrong, because 4-cell was the older 900, while 901 has 6-cell battery, right..? They also say "2.5hrs" battery life, which is considerably shorter than the advertised 4.2-6 hrs for EEE 901.