Samui Express

The latest edition of the Samui Express contains a report on the arrest of an 'Icelandic' man on a drugs charge.

In one short article they have managed to get the Name,Nationality and location incorrect.

The person involved is 100% innocent (i was going to add 'of the charges' but no charges have yet been made)

He has been in jail for over 1 month.

Be very careful who you upset here on Samui.

This is a truly lawless place.

Yes well it is the samui express, what else would you expect.

Yes, it has its faults but it is informative and better than we had before i.e. nothing.

I do have a problem in that it is so USA orientated but it does seem to be getting better.

Why read it if you don't like it? :o

It would be a better Newspaper if for a fortnight's worth of Newspaper, it allocated a little more than 4 of it's pages to actually Koh Samui News... :o

Or is that all the News there actually is for here in 2 weeks ??

Yes, it has its faults but it is informative and better than we had before i.e. nothing.

I do have a problem in that it is so USA orientated but it does seem to be getting better.

I agree. We had nothing before and at least we get some news now, but yes, they could improve the accuracy particularly when reporting on individuals. I also notice that their web page has not been updated for quite a while.

WRONG, before we had a much better paper.

A new newspaper on Koh Samui

A new newspaper was born on Samui in middle of August. Samui Community Newspaper is the first newspaper in English here and the price is reasonable 20 baht. It can be bought at Family Mart and at orange news racks at various locations. Kohsamui.org welcomes this initiative by the Nidori Group, and we hope it will be successful.

it was far superior to the express buy iy closed quite suddenly, maybe because it actually covered the news good and bad.

PS. Why is there never any reports about trials and sentancing at Samui courts.

eg i know of 1 english guy who recently received a very long sentence.

If viewed from the point that those Publications are entirely issued for advertising/income sake, explains it all!

Who wants yesterdays papers, who wants yesterdays "news"? Nobody in the world...!

Thailand's "Daily News" is more upbeat!

How many more of these glossy, garbage tips filling, Publications does the island need?

Name,Nationality and location incorrect.

So how do you know that it's the same person? :o

The photograph in SE probably didn't look anything like him either. What a rag.

Sorry, I didn't realise there actually was a photo of the guy there. Since there was, I guess that's how the OP knew.

If viewed from the point that those Publications are entirely issued for advertising/income sake, explains it all!

Who wants yesterdays papers, who wants yesterdays "news"? Nobody in the world...!

Thailand's "Daily News" is more upbeat!

How many more of these glossy, garbage tips filling, Publications does the island need?

I guess you don't like it much?? :o

Name,Nationality and location incorrect.

So how do you know that it's the same person? :o

The photograph in SE probably didn't look anything like him either. What a rag.

Sorry, I didn't realise there actually was a photo of the guy there. Since there was, I guess that's how the OP knew.

There is NO picture of the guy there. Maybe you should know what you're talking about (i.e., actually look at the paper) before posting a response.

It's as if you're out of the country or something ;-)

PA

There is NO picture of the guy there. Maybe you should know what you're talking about (i.e., actually look at the paper) before posting a response.

How could there be a picture, i dont believe the samui express employ a photographer, in the edition mentioned there are only two photo's that could be considerd anything other than stock photo's

Bring back the old samui paper by community!, this was always a good read!

i'll second that, remember you got all the news including accidents, fatalities etc. News including murders, drug arresets, gambling arrests and all the good news and community events.

Here is a reply i received from Samui Express after I questioned the accuracy of thier reporting...

Can you send us your full name to verify your identity. However, your letter may be published under an assumed name or an alias. Also, please substantiate your allegation. The published newsstory was based on a police report. If you have the right information, then please provide us with them for the sake of fairness and justice. Regards, Rick Alberto Managing Editor Samui Express

Top quality Policing as usual.........

have u ever read a paper that does not print lies or twisted truth

how many topics have been posted on TV about Samui Express... with all of them negative!

Bring back the old samui paper by community!, this was always a good read!

the newspaper went out of publication because the man who had the government approval to publish died.

Here is a reply i received from Samui Express after I questioned the accuracy of thier reporting...

Can you send us your full name to verify your identity. However, your letter may be published under an assumed name or an alias. Also, please substantiate your allegation. The published newsstory was based on a police report. If you have the right information, then please provide us with them for the sake of fairness and justice. Regards, Rick Alberto Managing Editor Samui Express

Top quality Policing as usual.........

It's all fitting into place now... :o

PA

I was told by someone that there was a picture - taken by that Roger Green guy or whatever his name is. Has anyone actually ever met that guy?

PA

I was told by someone that there was a picture - taken by that Roger Green guy or whatever his name is. Has anyone actually ever met that guy?

:o:D . Good one koohesti!

Actually i think samui express is digging their own grave by the greedyness of the "reporters". It has becomed a sport to run around and eat free food for a good review. And to do "storys" about things that for the next 5 issues has ads in the paper. Any magazine with that much advertising should be free for the readers, because the ads pay the paper. They lost all credability in my eyes. But still ok 5 minuites to read. Allthought when it comes to news about samui, thaivisa is more relevant.

For the record I don't have a problem with Samui Express. This is a little tourist island. What do people expect from a local expat paper?

Koheesti

I agree. Unfortunately the paper seems to generate a lot of vitriol from a few posters who are by no means representative of the majority of the readers.

It is by no means perfect but I find it generally informative and they do not seem to edit/censor readers views pointing out articles which are incorrect.

I agree, Samui Express far to be perfect, but is a small source of information and cannot but improve. People always complaining should send emails to the magazine/newspaper direction.

It is by no means perfect but I find it generally informative and they do not seem to edit/censor readers views pointing out articles which are incorrect.

In the last edition there were zero letters to the editor

Perhaps no one wrote anything! :o