New Beer In Town

ricklev

I came across the new beer from the makers of Chang at Tesco Lotus yesterday. Not really to my taste as it seems a little sweet, but some might like it for a change.

I'm still looking for a retailer of the Tsing Tao and Munchen in Chiang Mai. Two pretty good Chinese beers in the 45 baht or so range for a small bottle at Villa Supermarket and some minimarts in Bangkok.

The tendency of beer brewers is to make beer more sweet.

A beautiful example is Heineken who bought Stella Artois in Belgium. Stella was really a traditional kind of Pilsener beer. Now it is more sweet.

Stella Artois (the Budweiser of Belgium) is still owned by Inbev, the world's largest brewer. There is no relationship with Heineken.

I can't comment on whether the taste has changed recently as I haven't had one in years.

Come on more details about Federbrau. I will not be able to drink for a few days. 6 hours from bottle to throttle. :D

When I do start drinking on Wed (June 4) it may be the beer of choice. Let me know fellow beer drinkers.

More about taste, price, hangover and damage to the vitals?

:o

Apparently "Federbräu" (note the German umlaut) has been launched by the ThaiBev company which also produces Chang :o and Sangsom :D . While that doesn't spell anything good, there is something notably different about this new brand. It's the only beer in Thailand that complies with the German "Reinheitsgebot", the Purity Law which allows only natural ingredients to be used in the brewing process. According to their marketing brochure, it's brewed according to a "European recipe" and contains 4.7% alcohol. Personally, I have given up on Thai beer. I don't drink it, since all the chemical stuff in it gives me a headache. Since Federbräu complies with the Reinheitsgebot it may be worth a try, however.

Cheers, CMX

Apparently "Federbräu" (note the German umlaut) has been launched by the ThaiBev company which also produces Chang :D and Sangsom :D . While that doesn't spell anything good, there is something notably different about this new brand. It's the only beer in Thailand that complies with the German "Reinheitsgebot", the Purity Law which allows only natural ingredients to be used in the brewing process. According to their marketing brochure, it's brewed according to a "European recipe" and contains 4.7% alcohol. Personally, I have given up on Thai beer. I don't drink it, since all the chemical stuff in it gives me a headache. Since Federbräu complies with the Reinheitsgebot it may be worth a try, however.

Cheers, CMX

Thanks CMX for the 'heads up', spent a few years in the Black Forest back when and miss German beer. I'll get right on it. Hmmm...had thought it was just me with headaches after drinking Thai beer. What chemicals are contained in Thai beer: I had heard and had forgotten until you mentioned it, that formaldehyde was added to one of the more prominent Thai beers. :o

Federbrau. Tried it last week. Bought from Tesco in KhonKaen 34 Baht a can.

I was really disappointed as I was looking forward to trying it after all this Thai rubbish. Tasted a bit weak and dry. You did not really expect a top of the range German beer to be brewed by a Thai Company did you?

Maybe I have been in Thailand too long and it really is good.

I'd maybe try the large bottle, well chilled, before we pass final judgment.

I've rarely tried beer from a can (aluminum or steel) that had a very good taste...

The maker is positioning this as a premium beer in the Thai market. Curious to see if it gains traction....

59 baht big bottle tesco. is it available at carrefour yet?

Thats about in line with Heineken's pricing isn't it? I will give it a try.. side by side taste test ... and see.. cool .. a reason to go buy some beer!!!

I tried it and think its great! Nice smooth taste, and claims to be all natural which is good seeing as most Thai beers have added "stimulants". I am currently looking into carrying it at the bar and prices will be the same as Heineken.

The tendency of beer brewers is to make beer more sweet.

A beautiful example is Heineken who bought Stella Artois in Belgium. Stella was really a traditional kind of Pilsener beer. Now it is more sweet.

One thing what amazed me was Chiang selling a Draught (spelling correct?) (tapped) beer in a bottle!! In my opinion Draught is Draught.

A good selection of beers is available at Rimping.

Not saying your wrong but draught beer has been available in bottles in the "antipodes" for more than 50 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered it in 7-11 about a week ago.

65 Baht a bottle there.

I have to say it really hit the spot for me :D

Far better taste than my previous beer of choice Heineken (well thats not quite true Heineken was my beer of affordability, I prefer Corona, but that's way to dear to drink regularly)

So now I have at last found an affordable beer that I really like. :D Probably TOO MUCH

It would be fantastic if some of the local bars or the local "Mom & Pop" stores in my village stocked it :o

5 star rating from me :D

Interesting ThaiPauly - I love the Heinecken here (not overseas) but thought the Federbräu was rather blandish with no lasting taste at all. The moment it's gulped down the taste is gone ...

Obviously we all have different tastes, or we would all be drinking Leo :o

Now of course someone is gona say they actually like Leo :D

PS. If anybody is looking for Federbrau, don't go to the 7-11 next to Tesco on the Hang Dong Road as I have just cleaned them out of stock about 20 minutes ago !!

Edited by ThaiPauly

I contacted the brewer who is actually a subsidiary of Chang beer, seems that it is not yet available for distribution in Chiang Mai. Tesco buys their supply from BKK and transports it using their own trucks.

The old Makro (superhighway) has it in stock - large and small bottles. 739b for 24 small. I couldn't see the price for large - probably the same?

To my surprise I found out last night that there are already 15 "Fedebrau Girls" working in CM restaurants and bars and that number will rise to 50 next month, so it looks like it's going to be widely available very soon :o