Japanese Woman Jumps From Apartment

george

Japanese woman killed

BANGKOK: -- A 36-year-old Japanese woman reportedly committed suicide by jumping off a nine-storey apartment in Bangkok's Din Daeng district, police said.

Alerted of the incident at 6.30am Tuesday, police found the body of Yuki Yuwayama, who had lived there since December last year, at the fire exist on the second floor. Police found no trace of struggle but a letter in Japanese, which was suspected to be a suicide note in her ninth-floor room.

Police suspected that Yuwayama, who stayed alone there, might be under stress because prior to the incident, Yuwayama was seen drinking alcohol, crying and knocking on neighbours' doors.

-- The Nation 2008-05-03

Police suspected that Yuwayama, who stayed alone there, might be under stress because prior to the incident, Yuwayama was seen drinking alcohol, crying and knocking on neighbours' doors

very sad, and the person or people who saw this did not help?...may she RIP

Police suspected that Yuwayama, who stayed alone there, might be under stress because prior to the incident, Yuwayama was seen drinking alcohol, crying and knocking on neighbours' doors

I'm sure you would help if a drunk crying stranger came knocking on your door.

this is tragic. it is difficult to draw the line sometimes between someone in desperate need of help and someone just looking for attention. i am sure that most people would have helped had they known the severity of her mental condition.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest that a murderer wrote the note and then pushed her. That way, we can conveniently ignore the reality that it's very hard for alot of farangs to survive in the "paradise" called Thailand.

Tragic on first read, but we never get the full story from the initial story. Just once I'd like someone to put a human face on the person. She was a person, not a statistic.

I'm sure you would help if a drunk crying stranger came knocking on your door.

Maybe Thailand is different, maybe I am naive, but I sure would help if I was able to do so. It wouldn't be the first time I have helped strangers who were drunk or in need.

I would be inclined to help a female who was drunk and obviously a foreigner. They aren't usually the dangerous kind. Especially someone who seemed to upset, as in crying, not fighting.

I lived in a large apartment block some years back and it wasn't unusual to get a knock on the door--everything from neighbors who had locked themselves out to domestic disputes. Usually only required a reasonably kind and safe environment while a phone call was made to the manager, the security guards or a friend.

For a lot of foreigners here, they end up with a very limited support system. Often Thai friends don't understand the cultural differences and sometimes you need to talk with people that understand 'where your coming from.'

My deepest condolences to the friends and family of the victim.

I agree with Scott and Tonykiwi. I would help (and have helped strangers in the past). It is difficult sometimes being an expat in a country with cultural differences. I've lived in a few different countries and sometimes life can be very difficult. An upset Japanese woman looking for help would have posed no danger to anyone. R.I.P.