Ua Booking Bkk - Ord

Hi everyone, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm booked with US to fly Via Tokyo & Seattle to Chicago in July, however the Flight was booked for me using someone else's ( Father ) Credit Card in the US & the E-Ticket that i have received has a stipulation saying ** THE CREDIT CARD USED FOR THIS PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED ON CHECK IN **

It can't be presented at Check In as it is my Dad's Card & he is in the US..

So i'm thinking of options around this ..

1 ) Speak to US in BKK a couple of days before flying & advise that the Card can't be here & can i use a copy ??

2 ) Just turn up & try to talk my way out of it which i'd prefer not to do so i can sleep at nigth instead.

3 ) HEEELLLLPPPP ????

Thanks for your help People.

Edited by MSingh

Hi everyone, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm booked with US to fly Via Tokyo & Seattle to Chicago in July, however the Flight was booked for me using someone else's ( Father ) Credit Card in the US & the E-Ticket that i have received has a stipulation saying ** THE CREDIT CARD USED FOR THIS PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED ON CHECK IN **

1 ) Speak to US in BKK a couple of days before flying & advise that the Card can't be here & can i use a copy ??

2 ) Just turn up & try to talk my way out of it which i'd prefer not to do so i can sleep at nigth instead.

3 ) HEEELLLLPPPP ????

Thanks for your help People.

I would call customer service immediately and explain the situation. If they tell you not to worry about it I would push to get something in writing saying you don't need the card. My guess is they won't ask you for the card at checkin but if they do, a piece of paper saying you don't need it should get you through without the random enforcement that could result if you don't have the documentation. I say immediately because if there is a genuine need to show the card and the airline won't budge, you have time to explore other options and won't be in a panic when the date is near.

I wouldn't worry, I fly those routes every couple of months and always on E tickets. I just present my passport and that's it. The ticket is paid for and they probably won't care. If you are still worried just call to confirm, people pay for other people's tickets all the time.

(The surname on the card isn't Bin Laden is it) :o

Before my wife and I got married, I furnished her with a copy of my passport and credit card.

She was asked by BI,TG & PG on more than one occassion to show the card. The copies were sufficient.

You may also be able to get a form from you airline which will give authority to travel without showing the CC.

Personally I think you should contact your airline and seek their advice sooner rather than later.

The following is taken from the BI web site, which may be of interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Royal Brunei Airlines has implemented Present Credit Card (PCC) for payment made over the internet.

You will be required to present your credit card used for payment at the earliest convenience for validation at a Royal Brunei Airlines office or at the airport counter before check-in.

If the payment was made with a card other than your own, the card owner has to validate his/her card at the nearest Royal Brunei Airlines office before the date of flight.

If the payment card is not validated, the passenger will not be accepted for travel.

PCC can be bypassed by signing a waiver of liability. You may opt to fax a duly signed Declaration Form following the instruction below:

Continue making online booking - obtain the reservation number on the successful booking.

Fill in the reservation number in the downloaded Declaration Form and complete the required details.

Fax the completed form to +673-2222211 with clear copies of photo ID (preferable passport) and front of credit card. The copy of photo ID and credit card has to be signed by the owner.

Upon receipt of your duly signed Declaration Form, we will remove the PCC restrictions from your ticket

Personally I've never been asked to show the credit card; I fly UA quite often. However there are many reports, on travel forums, where people are asked for the the credit card so I'd recommend...

Have your father contact UA and have them add a note in the record (PNR, a six-character code) which details the payment and relationship. A check-in agent will then see these notes in the PNR when you check-in.

Have your father provide you with a detailed letter outlining the ticket, payment (credit card details, receipt) and relationship. Be prepared to phone your father at check-in.

Stop by, or call, the UA City Ticket Office (Sindhorn Building, Wireless Road, Tel.: 02 253 0558) to explain the situation and ask them to note any potential problems.

they wont ask for your credit card my wife flys united from ord to bkk alot and has never had the same visa card i used to purchase the ticket and has never been asked [ i was worried about it myself-but nobody cared ] enjoy !

I have had to show my cc twice over the years,

once by Thai once by Bangkok airways.

Not in the last few years with on line check-in

only get to show passport at the gate.

Thai airways seem the toughest with multiple checks on

passport, that you have a visa if your ticket is longer than

30 days,Its not about to expire,the name on ticket matches

exactly the name on passport.

Make sure details are correct on all documents .

Just for info, I flew from London to BKK last month with Thai using an E-Ticket, they were very thorough checking that I had the card that paid for the ticket, I did ask the agent what would have happened if I had lost the card or something. She told me that I would not be travelling that day and would have to go to the Thai office in London to sort things out and make a new reservation. Not sure what the US airlines do but I would be very sure you have got the issue sorted with the airline before attempting to travel.

Trotski

Just for info, I flew from London to BKK last month with Thai using an E-Ticket, they were very thorough checking that I had the card that paid for the ticket, I did ask the agent what would have happened if I had lost the card or something. She told me that I would not be travelling that day and would have to go to the Thai office in London to sort things out and make a new reservation. Not sure what the US airlines do but I would be very sure you have got the issue sorted with the airline before attempting to travel.

Trotski

Good advice.

Obviously different experiences for different locations and airlines.

I just flew MSP to BKK on the 6th of May with United Airlines and the ticket counter personnel wanted to see my CC, even though I have flown that route with them dozens of times. I flew two different routes with Nokair in the month of May and they also asked to see it.

ummmmmm....do I look shiffy? :o

~WISteve

Verification of the card is now a requirement according to the alert I got from my employer. EVA, Air Canada and TG and checked my card on all of my past flights.

There is an alternative solution. If it is your dad's card, he can present it to any UA ticket office and confirm the payment. How do I know? My stinkazoid of a friend got jammed up and the rents wanted him home asap. Mom went to the ticket office and had it arranged.

I always book my ticket online at expedia or orbitz or the airline itself. But being an international flight, I still have to go to a ticket counter at the airport and get an actual ticket and show my passport for ID. I can't use a self-service kiosk or things like that for International travel.

I find this credit card requirement such nonsense. As people have mentioned , there are all sorts of complications and unavailabilities. How about tickets purchased by companies for individuals? Surely all the thousands of daily business travelers don't carry and often don't even know the direct purchase arrangements their companies make with the airlines or travel agencies when they provide tickets for their employees, or people traveling for job interviews or things like that.

I like most people book on-line and print out an e-ticket,

but some airlines allow you to check in on-line and print

out a boarding pass KLM do and i have used them to travel

from Amsterdam to Bangkok.BMI also so with a carry on bag

I just go direct to the gate.

It may be different for trips from and to the USA.

In fact there are no paper tickets anymore in the netherlands

but you do need a boarding pass.

I always book my ticket online at expedia or orbitz or the airline itself. But being an international flight, I still have to go to a ticket counter at the airport and get an actual ticket and show my passport for ID. I can't use a self-service kiosk or things like that for International travel.

I find this credit card requirement such nonsense. As people have mentioned , there are all sorts of complications and unavailabilities. How about tickets purchased by companies for individuals? Surely all the thousands of daily business travelers don't carry and often don't even know the direct purchase arrangements their companies make with the airlines or travel agencies when they provide tickets for their employees, or people traveling for job interviews or things like that.

In general, most PERSONAL and BUSINESS travel booked direct through an airline website will require that the charge card be shown at check-in. TG like UA states this clearly during the online booking and purchase procedure. As more airlines proceed with direct sales to passengers on the internet, the charge card verification, especially for e-tickets will be the norm. Right now, there is no separate online purchase procedure that differentiates between personal and business travel.

Buying a ticket via an online travel shop is different as they have collected the funds from your card which are held in escrow till the airline issues the ticket, ie. they have your money and their part of the transaction with you is complete. In that instance the airline only needs to see your personal ID as the charge card particulars have already been verified between the traveler and the online travel shop, usually by asking for the additional 3-digits on the back of the card.

For BUSINESS travel, most companies have an account set up with business travel agency and those corporate charge card details are on file with the agency. This is coded in the ticketing setup (PNR) so there's no need for the passenger collecting the ticket, usually a pre-paid ticket-on-desk (TOD), to show or know those charge card details. Once again, they only need to show their ID.

My personal experience with UA regarding this? I purchased a Hawaii r/t ticket online for my friend in Houston and saw the 'show charge card at check-in' requirement. I called UA referencing the booking code and when they saw I had some elevated frequent flier status, the phone agent added a comment to the PNR effectively saying that the card verification was waived. My friend had no hassles.

My personal experience with UA regarding this? I purchased a Hawaii r/t ticket online for my friend in Houston and saw the 'show charge card at check-in' requirement. I called UA referencing the booking code and when they saw I had some elevated frequent flier status, the phone agent added a comment to the PNR effectively saying that the card verification was waived. My friend had no hassles.

That's what i'm banking on as my Dad is a UA frequent Flier & possibly elevated so that's what i'll be doign, getting in touch with UA BKK & advising of this & hoping they'll put something against the Booking waiving the Card verification..

Thanks for all your help Guys & Girls on this, it's much appreciated... :o

Your dad booking this ticket for you is what caused UA to "flag" the record. This flag is sometimes (but not always) done when the resv. is paid for with a credit card not in the name of the person traveling. The UA check-in agent in BKK may or may not see the flag, and it will not prohibit them from checking you in. I've had this flag but never been asked in BKK for the credit card. They are not concerned with this.

If you REALLY want to clear the flag, your dad can go to any UA counter with the record locator and the credit card, he shows the credit card and the UA agent clears the flag. Or perhaps he can find an agent over the phone who will clear the flag.

Now Thai Airways asking for the credit card for direct booked tickets is a different procedure. If you didn't have the credit card, I would guess they would make you buy another one and then go through some sort of refund process. In this resepct, UA handles this differently from TG, I can assure you.