Registering A Marriage

Wolfman

I am a swedish citizen who are married to a thai-woman. We joined the holy matrimony in Sweden and now want be registered as a married couple even in Thailand.

Which documents are required and where do we do the paperwork? Does every paper has to be translated from english to thai?

If you were legally married in Sweden, why do you wish to register the marriage in Thailand?

I believe that Thailand generally recognizes marriages between Thais and non-thais that are registered abroad and not in Thailand.

Well, then how do you register a marriage, period?

My girlfriend and I plan on getting married in December, but only in a civil ceremony. We're holding off on the big religious/social ceremonies until next year to allow time for my parents to put something together back in the States (we have to have two ceremonies since my parents can't fly here).

Do we just go down to the local government office and file some paperwork? Or is there something more involved? (blood tests, visa changes, etc...)?

If you were legally married in Sweden, why do you wish to register the marriage in Thailand?

I believe that Thailand generally recognizes marriages between Thais and non-thais that are registered abroad and not in Thailand.

Well, then how do you register a marriage, period?

My girlfriend and I plan on getting married in December, but only in a civil ceremony. We're holding off on the big religious/social ceremonies until next year to allow time for my parents to put something together back in the States (we have to have two ceremonies since my parents can't fly here).

Do we just go down to the local government office and file some paperwork? Or is there something more involved? (blood tests, visa changes, etc...)?

The scouser gave the short version to you in his language. :o

But for you first thing is to visit American Citizen Services in the old US Embassy building (next to visa section) and fill out what most Thai will call a "good person" paper. This will give your bio data, several references in US, employment and martial status and be notarized. You have to pay I believe the $30 notary fee. You then take to a translation service to obtain a Thai copy and have it registered as a legal document with the MFA. Translation service may be able to do this process for you. Once that is done you and wife to be visit a District Office of your choice (although Bang Rak if in Bangkok is a good place). That is where registration of marriage takes place and it is completely a civil affair. If you want to have the signing process take place at a party it can be arranged with a District official for a very small fee. If you use an office that does few foreign marriages you may have to provide a third party who can speak both Thai and English (if you do not speak Thai) to make sure you understand what you sign.

Believe the entire process it outlined on the bangkok.usembassy.gov/ website.

I am a swedish citizen who are married to a thai-woman. We joined the holy matrimony in Sweden and now want be registered as a married couple even in Thailand.

Which documents are required and where do we do the paperwork? Does every paper has to be translated from english to thai?

The easy way is to see whether the Thai consulate in your home country can provide a notarized translation of your Swedish legal marriage document. If not, you need a translation of your document into Thai, a sworn affidavit of all this being accurate from the Swedish embassy in Thailand, and finally a certification of the translation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In either case, the resulting certified Thai language document can be taken to your local Amphur to register yourselves as married in Thailand, and to change your wife's registered name to "Mrs." and update her Thai national ID. My wife just completed all of this based on our U.S. marriage certificate, using the second method with our own translation. She was able to do it all while I was out of the country on travel, i.e. there are no new oaths of marriage. It is solely document translation and records keeping.

As to the other question, why would one do this. We did it primarily so that I can get health benefits from my wife's employer. We also thought it would simplify later handling of other official transactions to have available normal Thai documentation of our marriage.

1. Swear an affirmation of freedom to marry at your embassy;

2. Get the affirmation translated in to Thai;

3. Get the translation authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi;

4. Get married at any amphur.

Scouse.

Would that be legal?

If you are already married to the lady you cannot marry here again.

In the affirmation you have to state that you are not already married.

Bigamy?

it is completely a civil affair.

Does that make divorce an uncivil affair, eh Lop? :o

Scouse.

Surly. :D

I wish they had used the long term of affirmation of freedom to marry when I was trying to register as they keep with "good person" and I was sure no Embassy was going to write a letter that I was a good person. Visited four Districts before someone was able to get it through my head what was needed.

It seems that the Swede is already married in Sweden so all he needs to do is go to Bang Rak and do the paperwork for the Thai form of marriage. No need for translations etc.

They are only needed if the documents are to be verified by Foreign Affairs and then back to the embassy to froward back to your country for registration. In this case that has already been done by him getting married in Sweden.

Good luck.

The easy way is to see whether the Thai consulate in your home country can provide a notarized translation of your Swedish legal marriage document. If not, you need a translation of your document into Thai, a sworn affidavit of all this being accurate from the Swedish embassy in Thailand, and finally a certification of the translation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

In either case, the resulting certified Thai language document can be taken to your local Amphur to register yourselves as married in Thailand, and to change your wife's registered name to "Mrs." and update her Thai national ID. My wife just completed all of this based on our U.S. marriage certificate, using the second method with our own translation. She was able to do it all while I was out of the country on travel, i.e. there are no new oaths of marriage. It is solely document translation and records keeping.

As to the other question, why would one do this. We did it primarily so that I can get health benefits from my wife's employer. We also thought it would simplify later handling of other official transactions to have available normal Thai documentation of our marriage.

Were you required to have the US marriage certificate authenticated by the US State Department's Office of Authentication?

The advantage of health care benefits from your Thai wife's employment - I was unaware of this.

Do you know if I can have our US State Department Authenticated Marriage Certificate translation into Thai done in Bangkok , rather than in the States? Or does it need to be translated officially into Thai here in the states?

Thanks. :o