Car Registration And Driver's Licence Renewal

whatchamacallit

My car registration expires this week what do we need to bring along with us to get it renewed? Also, Last year I got my Thai Driver's Licence which expires on June 11 - what do I need to bring with us to get my Licence renewed (for 5 years?). Can I renew them early? (Before the exact expiration date?).

My car registration expires this week what do we need to bring along with us to get it renewed? Also, Last year I got my Thai Driver's Licence which expires on June 11 - what do I need to bring with us to get my Licence renewed (for 5 years?). Can I renew them early? (Before the exact expiration date?).

If the vehicle is in your name, I believe you will need a letter from Immigration to verify your address, or a Tambien Ban if you have one. You will also need proof of insurance.

For your license, you will also need a letter from immigration or a Tambien Ban, a medical certificate from a doctor, copies of your passport. You no longer need photos as they have a phoyo machine, and will make you a new hard copy license. You cannot renew your license until after it expires.

Barry

To renew your rego you just need your blue book and proof of compulsory insurance unless the car is 7 or more years old then it needs an MOT. No need for proof of where the car lives.

Your licence can only be renewed after it expires. You need proof of address and a non immigration visa, take photos with you in case their machine breaks down.

Car: Certificate of compulsory insurance, registration book, baht depending on size of engine. (Ipresume you mean annual road tax and not registration)

Driving Licence: Can only renew after old one expires i.e go the day after, you need, old licence, certificate of residence or wp, passport, medical certificate. To make things easy copy the relevant passport pages before you arrive. No photos required as they are now digitalised. fee I think is now 605 baht.

Thank You guys for your replies. I'll get the car regi renewed today as it expires today and then go back there again on the 12th to renew my driver's license :D

Since you can only renew your driver's license after it expires, what happens if you get pulled over by the police on your way to renew your license??? :D:D:o TIT I guess :D

JohnC is spot on re: paperwork. You can renew your license before it expires, but they will only give you one year.

Interestingly when I was doing exactly the same in April, I renewed my Tax and compulsory insurance in one of the photocopy shops across the road from the driving test centre. It was alot quicker and alot less hassle. They have machines which go online and update the DOMV database that you have paid.

Renewing the car is not a hassle at all. You can buy the compulsory insurance almost anywhere that sells insurance, easiest right at the Land Transport office front gate,,,,,,,walk to the office and get in line to hand in your book and proof of tax and in 5 minutes you pay the amount and leave,,,,,,,no fuss , no muss.

If your lazy and don't want to go there in person go to your local dealer that you bought the car from and they will do all for a small fee but this takes several days

• 3 months later...

Regarding driver's license renewal, I understand that you have to let the old one expire, but how long is the "grace" period. Can you go get it renewed a few months later with not problem, provided you have the right documents?

You can renew your car registration whenever you want, it will always be valid for a year, every year from the first year the car was registered (did that make sense? :o ) What I was trying to say is that you can't let your registration expire for 6 months and then renew it and expect it to be vaid for a year - it will only be valid for a year from expiration (which will always be yearly from the first registration date). I feel like that didn't make sense either.

For your car registration: If your car is 7 years old or newer (I think) - just bring your blue book and your proof of gov't insurance and they have those new tool-booth-style queues (at least at the main Sapan Kwai dept in BKK). Then you drive up to the window, hand over the papers, and pay. They give you your new sticker right there on the spot.

If your car is older than 7 years (I think) - you need to get it checked (MOT-ish) first. there are many places that do this (there are a couple right outside of the entrance to the Sapan Kwai MV dept - the back entrance). They will run your car through a series of mundane tests, and then you pay for that and you can get your gov't insurance there. Then you go to the toll-booth like I stated above. You need your blue-book also.

For you DL: I didn't know that you couldn't renew until after it expired... I already have my 5 year, but I was just in there last week to pick up some new plates and decided to get the new ASEAN DL (no more laminated POS) and renew my International as well. I think somebody else already stated what documents you're gonna need.

This is just in BKK and at the Sapan Kwai MV dept (isn't that the main one anyway?) - I don't know how procedures are elsewhere.

edit: sorry this is the Pattaya forum, I'm an idiot. My info was for BKK.

Edited by jcon

Regarding driver's license renewal, I understand that you have to let the old one expire, but how long is the "grace" period. Can you go get it renewed a few months later with not problem, provided you have the right documents?

T_Dog, That is right mate.

As long as you provide them with all the correct documents, you have

one year to renew your 1 year licence.Then you can obtain your 5 year open licence.

Do you have the new style or old ?

Both my 5 year old style do not say anything about renewal date.

Clearly? What in English? Must be a new style

Old style, and in English (only the bit about renewal is in English) - expires end of next year, from the place behind the Regents School.

For less hassle, try Ao Udom or Chonburi transport depts.

Please......where is the location of the Ao Udom licensing office? It's probably just as close as the one behind the Regents School anyway.

Yes it is....

Go to the main traffic lights at AU Udom and turn right. (the main lights are after the refineries with - a footbridge over the top?)

Go up that road 'til you see the hospital....about 50 to 100 meters after the hospital on the RHS you will find the place.

the sign is only in Thai but you will see the car park and all the ramps etc for testing cars...... its not very big or visible so drive slowly!

the Chonburi one is on the main road into Chonburi from the front gates of AMATA NAKORN Ind Est. On the left going from Amata to Chonburi. - very relaxed - I think they close at about 3.00 pm

Edited by kedawi

Go to the main traffic lights at AU Udom and turn right. (the main lights are after the refineries with - a footbridge over the top?)

Go up that road 'til you see the hospital....about 50 to 100 meters after the hospital on the RHS you will find the place.

Thank you kedawi........I know where that particular hospital is. My licence is due for renewal in February 2009 so, maybe, I'll head for Ao Udom.

• 2 weeks later...