Honey Coming Out My Ears

DanBlack

Yesterday my wife got conned into owning 732 bottles of real honey. She paid a little under 200Bt per/bottle and it retails for about 400. Even though she has a minimart it would take years to sell them one at a time. Does anyone have any good ideas on unloading this.

Hello Dan,

Perhaps a trip down to Soi Bangla is in order- see if you can sell any of the bars on the idea of "Honey Wrestling"?? Hello my big big honey!!!

Sorry to be having a laugh and not providing any useful suggestions, but I just couldn't resist!

Yesterday my wife got conned into owning 732 bottles of real honey. She paid a little under 200Bt per/bottle and it retails for about 400. Even though she has a minimart it would take years to sell them one at a time. Does anyone have any good ideas on unloading this.

OMG. 732 * 200 = B146,400 worth of honey!! How about starting a "honey baked ham" business?

good luck

OMG. 732 * 200 = B146,400 worth of honey!! How about starting a "honey baked ham" business?

good luck

Now all I got to do is find 732 hams

Dan

Try selling it on E Bay there are a lot of Honey Freaks out there that would relish some Thai Authentic Honey as I know people that import Yemenese Honey supposedly the best in the Middle East. I like Heather Honey from Scotland.

I will come and buy a few jars good Xmas presents will get Stu to tell me where you are. Met you at Kieths BBQ

Cheers

Neill

good luck

Now all I got to do is find 732 hams

Easily found on ThaiVisa!

<deleted>'el I buy them for 100 baht for the top quality <deleted>. Anyways, now that you know she's been ripped off.....how about selling it to a gogo bar owner or a boxing bar owner and suggesting the girls get wet, sticky and filthy or wet sticky and nasty.

Sorry about yer (sticky) situation there, DB. Not sure what to do other than try to find a community in your area like an int'l school or church group and see if you can package the honeys as gifts and do a group unload at, say, one of their get-together dinners or lunches if not for the holidays. But, what also springs to mind are other questions for wifey, about how she didn't know the proper price for honey, how come she didn't check with you b4 making such a big purchase, and what about the person who unloaded it all on her, what's that person's story ? I can only imagine your conversation with her as this all came to light was a little like Ricky Ricardo blowing his stack with Lucy and having a good rant in his native language, all too fast paced for the local ears to understand.

I feel for you in this situation - the lesson about wives and money.... (say no more)

....sorry I have to ask about the funds to purchase that amount of stock if she runs a shop she should have some idea about buying in bulk...

In your favour, honey has a long shelf life if it of some good quaility. My question to you after a quick calulation and looking at the space such a number of bottles (70cl - 1lt ?) takes up, is who would/could harvest so much honey in one hit without being an industrial producer and so have an outlet ready and waiting. That is too much honey for the small family businesses - you need a lot of hives (about 25 hives producing for a year) to make that volume of honey.

Sorry - I have assumed that this is road side grade - small scale bottled honey. No label or brand on the bottle.

Is the color standard across the entire batch? If so I would question if it is really from small scale production - you would expect color variance. If it uniform it suggests industrial processing which would make it more difficult to sell as a bespoke hand-crafted luxury product. Which via eBay (etc.) would be my first thought - not sure how international shipping costs and the weight of glass bottles would impact any possible profit.

With any thing you sell getting the most profit comes from adding value to the selling price. Selling honey as is will move slowly of the shelves. If you spend some time trawling the internet for honey's magical properties, anti-bacterial, some health and beauty products that use honey etc and compile some form of Honey Fact Sheet (in Thai) and display this with the honey you are selling you might create enough demand to shift some as a beauty-aid rather than just putting it on toast.

Thai women are suckers for almost any form of health and beauty food product, slimming coffee (basic three in one) or face cream. You could mix one bottle of honey with 45 gallons of basic hand cream and sell it at 50 Baht a 50g tube. (Rough calculation gives 400% profit on the hand cream.)

Thailand is hot and Thais have a sweet tooth, get a slushy machine and sell Ice-Honey-Shakes, 15 Baht for about 3 Baht's worth of ice to which you add water and a shot of honey, about 300% profit end to end. Discount to 10 Baht during the school rush hour? (Marketing: a Busy Bee logo - sell it as an energy drink? Buzzzzzzzz!)

If the bottles are smaller than the recycled whiskey bottles I see in my mind's eye and you live within short driving distance of a tourist attraction: Set up a stall selling it as a local craft item - add some lace or Thai flag to it - small enough to fit in people luggage. Maybe be less than honest about importation laws regarding honey to some countries if asked. :o

HTH

I feel for you in this situation - the lesson about wives and money.... (say no more)

....sorry I have to ask about the funds to purchase that amount of stock if she runs a shop she should have some idea about buying in bulk...

In your favour, honey has a long shelf life if it of some good quaility. My question to you after a quick calulation and looking at the space such a number of bottles (70cl - 1lt ?) takes up, is who would/could harvest so much honey in one hit without being an industrial producer and so have an outlet ready and waiting. That is too much honey for the small family businesses - you need a lot of hives (about 25 hives producing for a year) to make that volume of honey.

Sorry - I have assumed that this is road side grade - small scale bottled honey. No label or brand on the bottle.

Is the color standard across the entire batch? If so I would question if it is really from small scale production - you would expect color variance. If it uniform it suggests industrial processing which would make it more difficult to sell as a bespoke hand-crafted luxury product. Which via eBay (etc.) would be my first thought - not sure how international shipping costs and the weight of glass bottles would impact any possible profit.

With any thing you sell getting the most profit comes from adding value to the selling price. Selling honey as is will move slowly of the shelves. If you spend some time trawling the internet for honey's magical properties, anti-bacterial, some health and beauty products that use honey etc and compile some form of Honey Fact Sheet (in Thai) and display this with the honey you are selling you might create enough demand to shift some as a beauty-aid rather than just putting it on toast.

Thai women are suckers for almost any form of health and beauty food product, slimming coffee (basic three in one) or face cream. You could mix one bottle of honey with 45 gallons of basic hand cream and sell it at 50 Baht a 50g tube. (Rough calculation gives 400% profit on the hand cream.)

Thailand is hot and Thais have a sweet tooth, get a slushy machine and sell Ice-Honey-Shakes, 15 Baht for about 3 Baht's worth of ice to which you add water and a shot of honey, about 300% profit end to end. Discount to 10 Baht during the school rush hour? (Marketing: a Busy Bee logo - sell it as an energy drink? Buzzzzzzzz!)

If the bottles are smaller than the recycled whiskey bottles I see in my mind's eye and you live within short driving distance of a tourist attraction: Set up a stall selling it as a local craft item - add some lace or Thai flag to it - small enough to fit in people luggage. Maybe be less than honest about importation laws regarding honey to some countries if asked. :o

HTH

Those are the best ideas yet

Drop by the store sometime. You have earned yourself a free bottle of honey

Thank you very much for the offer, I am currently in Pattaya so a trip might have to wait a while. I must also confess when we drove up country the other day (Khon Kaen) we stopped and bought some comb honey and a one litre bottle (100 Baht) so we have plenty at the moment.

We used to have a bee keeper in the family so I'm used to having a supply to hand.

• 2 months later...
Those are the best ideas yet

So where is your shop? I guess a lot of honey lovers might get curious if you wish to unload honey in small bulkloads.

Dan

Try selling it on E Bay there are a lot of Honey Freaks out there that would relish some Thai Authentic Honey as I know people that import Yemenese Honey supposedly the best in the Middle East. I like Heather Honey from Scotland.

I will come and buy a few jars good Xmas presents will get Stu to tell me where you are. Met you at Kieths BBQ

Cheers

Neill

Good suggestion. My sister sells the ugliest home made dolls you could imagine on ebay, mostly to Americans at 26 dollars each !! I feel for you , really . Don't be too mad with your wife, just make sure she consults you in future.

As a small suggestion, you might try to google health food shops in Thailand and try to get them to buy some. Might be worth contacting the buyer for a big store like the Mall to try and offload a few on them. They sell lots of exotic food.

• 4 weeks later...