Thai Airways Cancels New York Flights As Of July 1st

FLL-BKK

I am planning a trip to Bangkok in November, and just before I went to book my usual Thai Air JFK-BKK and BKK-JFK return route I got the news (from this forum) that that option had been cancelled. I was very disappointed.

I looked at a lot of options and finally booked an economy fare seat on the Cathay Pacific JFK-HK-BKK and BKK-HK-JFK route on the CP website. Cost for the RT was US$1086. Surcharges are an open question. The flight leaves JFK 3 hours earlier (9:15 AM) than the Thai Air flight would have left and gets into BKK around the same time. So my "awake" time is really not any longer even though the "travel time" is 3-4 hours longer. I'm hoping that as a "transit" passenger my bags will be booked through in HK both ways. There's approximately a 2 hour layover in HK each way so I would not plan to leave the airport in either case. My e-ticket number and seat selections have been confirmed.

I live reasonably close to JFK so I don't have to worry about connecting flights in the US for flights from JFK. That's why I did not want to fly to LAX from JFK and then to BKK and return by the same route because I would have to go through US immigration in LA on my return, and because the cost (at least the initial cost) is higher. I always had an excellent experience with Thai Air on past trips and on domestic flights within Thailand.

Has anyone had any experience with CP and this route in particular? Any hints about making the connecting flight in HK?

Edited by DFCarlson

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read online that the Singapore Airlines flight from ewr to sin is now Business class only ... Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, it is true. Singapore Airlines recently eliminated the executive economy seats and the EWR-SIN flight is now business class only.

Even more interesting about all of this and Thai cancelling their route to NYC is that they are still running their direct flights to New Zealand and South Africa from Bangkok. So they have given up NYC and are keeping those other destinations???? What is the sense in that??

Even more interesting about all of this and Thai cancelling their route to NYC is that they are still running their direct flights to New Zealand and South Africa from Bangkok. So they have given up NYC and are keeping those other destinations???? What is the sense in that??

The decision to cancel the flight does not have anything to do with the destination itself per se. THAI is canceling the non-stop route to JFK because the extended-range plane they use to fly that route (A340-500) is not profitable to operate. TG are supposedly getting rid of all their A340-500's and before too long, the non-stop service to Los Angeles will become a one-stop service through Osaka.

Best flight I have ever taken was the TG NY Express. It will be missed. :D

Wonder what TG will do with all the new planes A333s and A380s in the next two year. Might replace some of the 744s, but the A330-330 is an economical plane, but I would have selected the A330-200 :o .

Thai Airways International currently operates a fleet of 12 A330-300s and 21 A300-600s on its regional network across Asia, as well as four A340-500s and five A340-600s on the airline’s long haul network from Bangkok to destinations in Australia, Europe and North America. Non-stop “New York Express” and “LA Express” services have been operated by A340-500 since 2005. Thai Airways International is also a customer for the A380, with the first of six ordered aircraft scheduled for delivery in late 2010.

“THAI is pleased to announce that it has ordered eight more A330-300s, which will replace older aircraft in our fleet, as utilizing this Airbus type has always proved profitable and efficient for the company. This order is in addition to our withstanding order of six A380-800 aircraft. The A330-300 was deemed most suitable towards operating the company’s regional routes in Asia, especially due to our continued increase in flight frequency and expanded route network”, said Flying Officer Apinan Sumanaseni, President of Thai Airways International.

“Thai Airways International has been an outstanding customer for Airbus over the past 30 years and we are delighted to see the airline selecting more A330s for the growth of services across Asia.” said John Leahy, Chief Operating Officer – Customers, Airbus. “Together with the fleet of A380s, the new A330s will contribute significantly to the success of Thai Airways International’s operational expansion out of the Suvarnabhumi hub airport.”

The A330-300 is the world’s lowest operating cost per seat aircraft in its segment, typically accommodating 335 passengers in two classes for regional operations or 295 travellers in three classes on long-haul routes of up to10,500 km/5,650 nm. Today, the A330-300 is the reference for airlines serving intra-Asia routes.

Thanks to the A330’s true wide body fuselage, the cabin is optimised for both flexibility and comfort, enabling airlines to offer all passengers the highest levels of comfort of any aircraft in its class. The A330 main deck volume is echoed in the lower deck, which allows airlines to carry more revenue-generating cargo consolidated on pallets and containers loaded side-by-side.

Since first delivery in 1993, the A330 Family has accumulated some nine million-flight hours with 65 operators. Total orders for the A330 Family stand at over 700 aircraft, with over 450 currently in service around the world. Over 180 A330s are currently in service with 19 airlines in the Asia-Pacific region.

:D

this sucks. thai airways direct flight with premium economy was the best flight ever. the 16 hours went by faster than a 3 hour domestic USA flight. unforchantly its been canceled now. the only options are to fly economy/business. the premium cost was around 60k baht round trip very reasonable, business around 160k round trip (Ouch!)... they have BKK-LA but for those on the east coast its much less desirable, longer, and they only have economy class.

so for those flying to/from America, what is your current plan?

i am paranoid that 18 hours direct to LA in economy will be a nightmare but cant justify dropping 320K baht on a flight for 2 people.

does anyone know what TG is doing with the planes that had premium economy?

Edited by MacauThai

On June 26th, Singapore Airlines movin' right into the gap that will be left by Thai Airlines on July 1...

post-21740-1214032944_thumb.jpg

Third line from bottom: SINGAPORE -- NEW YORK

Bottom line: Daily flights from 26 June 2008

What does Singapore Airlines know that Thai Airlines doesn't?

Where to find competent marketing analysts? :o

so for those flying to/from America, what is your current plan?

I fly from Washington, DC, and loved the JFK-BKK nonstop, but - as Jimjim notes - it's time to move on. I've booked my next flight on Korean Air's IAD-ICN-BKK flight in economy. The planes have been newly refurbed, they have current AVOD technology, and I've booked one of the better economy seats. Extra bonus - I don't have to fly any American airline connecting flight. Since I had to take a very early morning flight from DCA to catch the TG BKK flight in New York, my actual total travel time remains about the same and I still only have one stop. The downside is the around midnight BKK arrival time. The mid-afternoon arrival time and premium economy were the two main reasons I loved the JFK nonstop. If Korean Air doesn't work out, I may give ANA a try next go round. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna fly United Airlines!

I forgot to mention - this time I'm paying about $600 less than my last flight to Thailand.

Edited by rampo

Korean Air has a flight from Chiangmai to Seoul, and good connections from Seoul to New York. I forgot the price, but it was well below that of Thai.

Actually, I'd be grateful if you can remember the total Chiang Mai/Seoul/New York airfare. I hadn't realized that there was a twice-a-week ICN-CNX flight when I booked or I would have explored that option further. On the Korean Air website I was able to select an IAD-ICN-CNX itinerary but it couldn't give me a fare.

This is horrible news! I always try to fly this route for a variety of reasons. A year or two ago I remember they tried to cut back from flights daily to just three times a week, but shortly thereafter they went back to the full schedule. Can we all hope they flip flop back on this move?

In the meantime, I've seen a few possible alternatives mentioned. What would be the best star alliance route that gets back to NY, preferably on an asian carrier? I see possibilities with ANA, Air China, Singapore and Asiana, but I have only very limited experience with any of them.

I flew ThaiAir JFK-BKK on June 3 and planned on flying back to JFK on August 26. While away for two weeks in Manila, I got wind of the flight cancellations from this forum. (Good thing, because ThaiAir never bothered to tell me that my flight had been cancelled!)

Passing through the airport here I stopped off to see what I needed to do. They need to re-route me. OK. Problem is, they could not. They could not find any seats in my class of service available to get me back to New York going through LAX, Taipei, Tokyo or Korea.

Finally, after standing at the counter for more than an hour, they found a seat for me on Thai Air BKK-Frankfurt, connecting to Lufthansa's flight to New York. Argh...

So I guess it ultimately does not matter to me that Thai no longer will service the modest American city of New York. After this experience, I will most certainly never fly with them again. Sad for me because I liked the airline. Sad for them because they have permanently lost a high revenue passenger.

Actually thought you were going JFK-LAX-BKK, not BKK-LAX-JFK. Quite correct - you need clear customs with your bags, however there is a drop off for those in transit once you clear customs for UAL. Drop bags off and then you are on your way, so not as bad as you think. I repeat you do not need to haul your bags with you to the domestic terminal. I've done this many times, so DO NOT WORRY!!! If you were not with a star alliance partner, you are quite correct you would have to transfer the bags to the domestic terminal yourself.

That wasn't the case when I flew the BKK-JFK TG flight, with a connecting flight on Delta. After clearing customs, there were baggage counters for many different airlines, not just Star Alliance. I found the Delta queue, showed the agent my eTicket information, my bags were tagged and I was on my way. There was no need to slog the bags over to the Delta counter to re-check them. That said, it was complete pandemonium in the baggage check area outside of US Customs; however, after I found someone who could actually speak passable English, things became much easier.

I'm leaving Sunday on what I thought was a r/t on this routing and only just found out about this.

Spent a maddening day getting the run around from both TG and the ^&*%$ travel agency who sold me the ticket in the first place but never bothered to notify me that the reurn flight no longer existed. :o:D (Majestic Travel)

Needless to say each tried to pass the buck to the other

My tickets were premium economy and, of course, the re-routings offered were all guess what, economy...and about twice as long with connections

Travle agent said she's call me back, never did, went ahead on her own initiative and confirmed for a flight on a later date with an awful routing and economy on have the first leg

Finally on my third call to TG I by chance got an agent who was actually willing to take some time in identifying the various options. Wound up with what is still an agonizing long routing but at less premium economy (SAS to Copenhagen, long layover then TG to Bkk)

In fact it is possible to change to ANA Ny-Tokyo-Bkk which is probably the most direct alternative but TG reps insist that this means economy. I pointed out that it hardly makes sense for people on discount economy and people who paid almiost twice that for premium economy to all get put into economy on a re-route. They cklaimed there was no premium economy on said flight; I pointed out that, according to the airlines' website there was. (There is.) Answer: " contact your travel agent"" (lotsa luck!) I sus[pect that a cooperative travel agent could arrange to get you into premium economy class on ANA as it does exist on that flight but mine were anything but cooperative.

Anyhow...what I did find out is that there are in fact numerous re-routing options inc but undioubtedly not limited to:

ANA NY-Tokyo-Bkk

UA NY-LA TG LA-Bkk

Luftansa NY-Frankfurt TG Frankfurt-Bkk

SAS NY-Copenhagen TG Copenhagen-Bkk

and no doubt many more altho they will try to inform you of only one option

Those with premium economy tickets beware, they'll try to put you into economy

Contrary to what TG is saying , the ANA flight does have premium economy. My guess is that TG doesn't want to put re-routed passengers there because of fare difference. I suspect that a good travel agent or a sustained series of calls/complaints to TG could overcome this, maybe with an additional small cost. If I had the time I would have tried that but as it is I lost a full day and am on the verge of leaving... :D

So I'm routing thru Copenhagen with a long layover (but premium econ all the way).........

Not sure whom I am more annoyed with right now, TG or the *&^$& travel agent. I guess it's a tie.

I suspect the ORD-NRT-BKK route on UAL will become more popular because the flight is on the same aircraft and the only delay is for turn-around on the aircraft and air crews.

Since it is almost equidistant to BKK going E-W or W-E from anywhere on the US east coast, there is the benefit (??) of being able to look for European carriers (E-W) or Asian carriers (W-E). From Miami, I would think the easiest is a non-stop to LHR during the daytime, then an evening non-stop to BKK.

Either way, it's going to be 24-30 hours of total travel time. For me, one thing I can't stand is lengthy airport layovers. Time is too valuable. I would rather pay a bit of a premium and get a connection with minimum layover (an hour or less). Anything more than a couple hours is unacceptable.

The higher fuel surcharges and baggage surcharges (thanks for nothing AA) also, I think, put a premium on traveling light (minimum carry-on baggage and no checked baggage). This is mainly to minimize the amount of time that has to be spent in transit (check-in, customs, bag claim, etc.).

Another thought is booking "around the world" flights to get the time savings from always flying east with the prevailing winds. For example, US east coast to LHR to BKK outbound, then BKK to US via HKK, KIX, NRT or other coming back. I would suspect that flying in the same direction on all flights would probably save several hours in total flying time. Booking through the same alliance (e.g., One World or Star) should allow booking on a single ticket and maybe get some cost savings and mileage benefits.

I'm on that in mid July but for some reason i've got a killer 6 hour layover in Seattle too before i fly to Chicago...

Anyone flew it before & have any info, also any info on what to do in Seattle Airport ( if anything ) for 6 hours would be massively appreciated. Anyone know if there's any kind of observation Decks or anything to kill a few hours reading a Book with the Olympics or Mt Ranier kind of views maybe ??

Better than sitting in the Airport for 6 hours i would have thought..

During my interminable wait at the counter of the TG ticket office, the hapless (clueless?) ticket agent told me that it was impossible to travel on the route back to New York via either Tokyo, Taipei or Seoul on any date within two weeks of my originally ticketed return date because there were no seats available in my ticketing class (not just class of service). I am, by the way, Star Alliance Gold. Somehow, I feel this should not be MY problem. They wanted me to change my August 26 travel date to sometime in mid-September. (I am a University professor and returning to New York mid-September is obviously a career-threatening move.)

So, as I previously posted, my non-stop BKK-JFK has now metamorphosized into an agonizing BKK-FRA-JFK trip. I wonder, since they never bothered to contact me, what would have happened if I just merrily showed up at the airport with my original ticket on my planned travel date?

Well, good-bye ThaiAir. It was a nice love affair, but it is SO over!

I'm leaving Sunday on what I thought was a r/t on this routing and only just found out about this.

Spent a maddening day getting the run around from both TG and the ^&*%$ travel agency who sold me the ticket in the first place but never bothered to notify me that the reurn flight no longer existed. :o:D (Majestic Travel)

Needless to say each tried to pass the buck to the other

My tickets were premium economy and, of course, the re-routings offered were all guess what, economy...and about twice as long with connections

Travle agent said she's call me back, never did, went ahead on her own initiative and confirmed for a flight on a later date with an awful routing and economy on have the first leg

Finally on my third call to TG I by chance got an agent who was actually willing to take some time in identifying the various options. Wound up with what is still an agonizing long routing but at less premium economy (SAS to Copenhagen, long layover then TG to Bkk)

In fact it is possible to change to ANA Ny-Tokyo-Bkk which is probably the most direct alternative but TG reps insist that this means economy. I pointed out that it hardly makes sense for people on discount economy and people who paid almiost twice that for premium economy to all get put into economy on a re-route. They cklaimed there was no premium economy on said flight; I pointed out that, according to the airlines' website there was. (There is.) Answer: " contact your travel agent"" (lotsa luck!) I sus[pect that a cooperative travel agent could arrange to get you into premium economy class on ANA as it does exist on that flight but mine were anything but cooperative.

Anyhow...what I did find out is that there are in fact numerous re-routing options inc but undioubtedly not limited to:

ANA NY-Tokyo-Bkk

UA NY-LA TG LA-Bkk

Luftansa NY-Frankfurt TG Frankfurt-Bkk

SAS NY-Copenhagen TG Copenhagen-Bkk

and no doubt many more altho they will try to inform you of only one option

Those with premium economy tickets beware, they'll try to put you into economy

Contrary to what TG is saying , the ANA flight does have premium economy. My guess is that TG doesn't want to put re-routed passengers there because of fare difference. I suspect that a good travel agent or a sustained series of calls/complaints to TG could overcome this, maybe with an additional small cost. If I had the time I would have tried that but as it is I lost a full day and am on the verge of leaving... :D

So I'm routing thru Copenhagen with a long layover (but premium econ all the way).........

Not sure whom I am more annoyed with right now, TG or the *&^{:content:}amp; travel agent. I guess it's a tie.

It's quite possible that ANA's premium economy seats are not being made available to Thai. As I recall, the total number of PE seats on the ANA transpacific flights are HALF that of the Thai nonstops (20+ versus Thai's 40+) and are much more expensive than what Thai was charging.

Would it be violating forum rules to tell us the travel agent? Sounds like the agent from H_LL.

Not against rules AFIK. Facts is facts.

Majestic Travel.

Needless to say last time I ever use them. Also last timeI entrust an international booking to TG. You'd think they'd at least wait until the busy summer travel season was passed and also allow for, say, 6 months notice..............!

I'm on that in mid July but for some reason i've got a killer 6 hour layover in Seattle too before i fly to Chicago...

Anyone flew it before & have any info, also any info on what to do in Seattle Airport ( if anything ) for 6 hours would be massively appreciated. Anyone know if there's any kind of observation Decks or anything to kill a few hours reading a Book with the Olympics or Mt Ranier kind of views maybe ??

Once you deplane at Seattle clear Immigration pick up your checked bags and recheck them for your Chicago flight, after grabbing a bite to eat you then have to locate your gate and after maybe a couple of security checks, get ready for boarding. The 6 hours will fly by believe me.

Once you deplane at Seattle clear Immigration pick up your checked bags and recheck them for your Chicago flight, after grabbing a bite to eat you then have to locate your gate and after maybe a couple of security checks, get ready for boarding. The 6 hours will fly by believe me.

Fingers crossed, my Tokyo Flight Lands at the North Terminal & my Chicago Outbound Flight Deaprts from the North Terminal ( i guess that's UA's Terminal ?? ) so all within the same kind of area i think..

On the 7th of June a small article appeared in the Bangkok Post stating that all flights from Bangkok to New York on the Thai Airways direct flight (which they introduced about 4-5 years ago) have been fully cancelled. And effective July 1st, Thai Airways will no longer fly to New York at all.

What is serendipitous about this, and not to my advantage I might say, is that I have a ticket booked and paid for to fly to NYC in the first week of July. But what is catastrophically pathetic about this decision by the airlines is that Thai Air has not made any formal announcement at all about this yet or contacted any of the passengers directly, like myself who is fully booked and paid to take this flight, to simply let them know that the flight no longer exists.

In fact, had my friend not seen that article and bought it to my attention there is a very good chance I would have shown up at the airport with my bags packed to go to New York on the day of the flight and only to find out there is no plane. I can imagine since there has not been any formal announcement you will have passengers showing up for this flight after the 1st of July expecting also to get on a plane. But given that my flight is less than 4 weeks away now, and the announcement was made nearly a week ago, you think they would have notified me right?!??!?!!?

In addition, Thai at the management level, has not even set an official policy on what to do yet about those passengers who booked and paid for their tickets through an agent. If you booked through Thai directly then the official policy, just released today in fact (6 days after the announcement), is that you will get a full refund. If you booked through an agent though the answer is still pretty much "go fish". But if you did want a refund, and you booked though an agent like I did, then that will take 3 weeks at least, and by then I will have already needed to be in New York.

So after 2 hours of wrangling with them today at one of the Thai ticket offices they have put me on a Thai flight routing through Los Angeles and then on United Airlines for the leg from Los Angeles to New York, but in economy class of course, when in fact I have paid for a premium economy seat on Thai which costs much more than cattle class.

So, what have I got instead of the premium economy class direct flight ticket on Thai to NYC I paid 70,000 Baht for?

1 – 3 hours of added flying time.

2 – A 2 hour layover in LA.

3 – A downgrade to economy class on the second leg of the flight.

4 – I now have to change planes and unload my bags from the Thai flight and then reload my bags in LA onto the United flight.

Am I happy about this… Would you be???

:o

No, but any reason for not going to New York would make me happy.

However, there used to be a Singapore Airlines flight out of Singapore that went through Frankfurt Germany. Don't know if it still exists. I took it a few years ago. It was a 16 hour flight with a 2 hour stopover in Frankfurt.

Singapore is also a member of Star Alliance that Thai is, aren't they? If so maybe you can get your ticket transferred to Sigapore Airlines out of Singapore. All you would need then is a little short hop flight from BKK to SIN.

Something to look into anyhow.

:D

quoted........."Once you deplane at Seattle clear Immigration pick up your checked bags and recheck them for your Chicago flight, after grabbing a bite to eat you then have to locate your gate and after maybe a couple of security checks, get ready for boarding. The 6 hours will fly by believe me. "

................................................................................

Flying from other countries into the US. I agree with the above comment. Usually takes amount of times around that (5-6hrs). Recently came back from Spain, arrived at Miami Int'l airport, on the way to catch a flight from Miami to Tampa.

Bad timing, :D there must be over thousand on the lines at the Immigration, took my party more than 1 1/2 hour just to pass through, :o then walked a long distance :D to check in at the domestic airline counter, few hundreds of passengers infront of me- :D so another hour to waste, by the time we got everything in order, find our boarding gate, sat down to catch our breath, :D we had little time to grab a drink and sandwich, had to bring it to eating by the gate to cos it was almost time for boarding.

Believe me, the 6 hours will fly by faster than you think.

I have Premium Economy seats booked for December LAX-BKK-LAX so I'm paying particular attention. My flight's still scheduled, but now that they've changed planes, Premium Economy doesn't seem to exist so I'm in limbo...

from the Thai Air site:

THAI Announces Board Meeting Results

On 6th June 2008, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) held a Board of Directors’ Meeting at THAI’s Head Office, chaired by Mr. Chaisawasd Kittipornpaiboon, THAI’s Chairman, with the following results:

1. Flight Operations between Bangkok and New York

Effective as from 1st July 2008, THAI will cease flight operations between Bangkok and New York due to the continual surge in oil prices.

2. Restructuring of flight operations to Los Angeles

THAI will reduce direct flight operations between Bangkok and Los Angeles from 7 flights to 5 flights per week, utilizing A340-500 aircraft type until September 2008. For THAI winter schedule, THAI will operate flights to Los Angeles via Osaka, Japan, utilizing Boeing 777-200 ER aircraft.

Currently, THAI operates daily flight to two US destinations, Los Angeles and New York, utilizing Airbus A340-500 aircraft.

How do you know the Premium doesn't still exist on the BKK-LAX flights?