The Guitarman

aussiechick

I put this question on anothe thread but thought I woud bebetter off starting anew quick one!

Where is Guitarman bar? Can you give me simple directions - have only a couple of days left here and still have not found it.

Also, what nights does Blue Boy band play?

Thanks

Guiterman is at the end of Loi Kroh road past the night bazaar.

If you with the traffic on Night Bazaar Road. take a left at the Burger King corner. Walk past the Red Lion and right to the end of the road. Guitarman in on your left.

Have a good time. :o

If you with the traffic on Night Bazaar Road. take a left at the Burger King corner. Walk past the Red Lion and right to the end of the road. Guitarman in on your left.

Thankyou

Thankyou

boy's blues band doesn't play there anymore, though.

• 4 months later...

Thankyou

boy's blues band doesn't play there anymore, though.

Is that so? If he's not playing at Gutarman, where is he playing now and what nights? If he is still playing there, do you know which nights? Thanks.

I can assure you it is open.

Not a booster, barely know Nick and his wife the owners, but it was packed with people Sat nite (a few days ago).

Hadn't been by in a bit, but was pleased to see the place was jumpin' :o

Haven't been there for a while, pleased to see it is still going. Will drop in with my brother when he visits.

So, no one knows where I can see Boy perform this weekend? Any help appreciated.

The last time I went to The Brasserie, about two months ago, he was playing there with his uncle (Took).

Yeah, that's the last time I saw him too. My girls think he's cool and want me to take them. Happy too, but can't run down where he's playing. I'm gonna try the Brasserie this weekend. Always happy to watch Kuhn Took play and maybe we'll catch Boy as well. Thanks.

So, no one knows where I can see Boy perform this weekend? Any help appreciated.

The last time I went to The Brasserie, about two months ago, he was playing there with his uncle (Took).

Yeah, that's the last time I saw him too. My girls think he's cool and want me to take them. Happy too, but can't run down where he's playing. I'm gonna try the Brasserie this weekend. Always happy to watch Kuhn Took play and maybe we'll catch Boy as well. Thanks.

Yes that’s the good/bad thing about CM – depending on your perspective – things are always in a continues state of flux as far as the music scene is concerned. Going to Took’s place on Saturday hoping to catch up with the wild Boy. Actually I think Took’s is the most stable and predictable place in town. Black Magic Women is the latest.

Yup was in Brasserie last Wednesday and Boy was there but not supporting Took but another very talented lad who I have never seen before. Took did come on and played one song (and a crap one at that) then promptly joined the drinking session out the back with the mystery guitarist and Boy and left the house band to close the evening out.

Yes that's the good/bad thing about CM – depending on your perspective – things are always in a continues state of flux as far as the music scene is concerned. Going to Took's place on Saturday hoping to catch up with the wild Boy. Actually I think Took's is the most stable and predictable place in town. Black Magic Women is the latest.

Were you there? I was and it was a great night. Caught Boy's band as the lead in and as Took was in Nakhon Sawan, he had a replacement. All I can say is WOW! This guy had all of Took's virtuosity but 1000% more passion for his music. Clearly, he hadn't spent much time playing with Took's band previously, but a few seconds of feeling each other out before each song led to some of the best jams I've ever heard, as he encouraged each of the other band members to give a little more. By the time the finale came his gutar was on the floor and he was thrashing music out of it. I went to thank him afterwards and stupidly forgot to ask his name or where else i might see him. Anyone know? A descrpition is, he's 40-45, sturdily built for a Thai, wears a cap, glasses and has a graying beard (looked a bit Islamic)? Anyway, I'm his new biggest fan.

OK, I think it was Chai of "Chai and the Blues Maniacs". Some stuff I read oon the nnet said he was full of himself and rude, but the guy I spoke with couldn't have been nicer. Well, I'll be looking for him here or in Bangkok.

From your description it sounds like Chai alright. I haven't met him myself but a friend knows him & says Chai's a nice guy. He's opened a new place in Chiang Mai on Soi Wat Umong, called something like Chai's House of Blues. They've had their soft opening already but I think they haven't formed a house band yet. Looks like it'll be a nice spot though, once it gets going.

OK, I think it was Chai of "Chai and the Blues Maniacs". Some stuff I read oon the nnet said he was full of himself and rude, but the guy I spoke with couldn't have been nicer. Well, I'll be looking for him here or in Bangkok.

From your description it sounds like Chai alright. I haven't met him myself but a friend knows him & says Chai's a nice guy. He's opened a new place in Chiang Mai on Soi Wat Umong, called something like Chai's House of Blues. They've had their soft opening already but I think they haven't formed a house band yet. Looks like it'll be a nice spot though, once it gets going.

Yea,

sounds like Chai alright. I've heard about his reputation also but once chatted to him and he seems OK to me although maybe he's choosy. I reckon you just have to be careful about what you say - I just got the feeling he was a bit defensive about farangs. But he is a great blues guitar player - he used to play at Saxophone pub in Bangkok and his group was superb then, although he is not a great singer.

I would love to know where exactly his club is in Chiang Mai - I quite like the Guitar Man but they always seem to be pissing about with the music whenever i go there - have seldom been there when live blues was played - and Tuk is a great player but The Brazzerie is a bit far and he plays too late for me.

Chai is putting together a band right now to play at his place on soi Wat Umong. He is a really nice guy, Ive jammed with him a couple of times.

Slogger: Take Suthep rd, and turn left at soi Wat Umong. Continue past 7-eleven and the next set of stores, and you'll find a sign on the left side of the road: Chai house of blues. Drive in 50m and youre there. Its a really nice place, much nicer than the Brasserie, but still empty as he hasnt had a grand opening yet.

Re Boy, he plays at the Brasserie (as mentioned) but also at Warm Up and Ginger House, and will probably soon be playing at the Monkey Club.

Edited by SnareBear

This guy had all of Took's virtuosity but 1000% more passion for his music. Clearly, he hadn't spent much time playing with Took's band previously, but a few seconds of feeling each other out before each song led to some of the best jams I've ever heard,

Sorry to contradict, but I know Boy - he's Tuk's nephew and Tuk apparently taught Boy almost all he knows. I've only heard Tuk once at the Guitar Man and wow - he is far more accomplished than Boy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - Boy is superb as well, but not as accomplished, but he is much younger than Tuk. Boy has cut a CD of some songs that he played at the Bangkok Blues festival last year at Tokyo Joe's. His act was very popular. You can or could buy them from his manager who is Nick, the manager of Guitar Man. You can (or could) download some of these from the Guitar Man web site free of charge. You can also contact Boy through that web site. I listen to them regularly, although I've regressed into original Chicago blues since then.

I must say many Thai traditional blues groups are superb and second only to black bluesmen for me. Can't get enough of 'em. Beat the pants off most farang groups I've heard who all seem to end up sounding like the Eagles. Can't take such as Led zeppellin or many rock and rollers much anymore.

I recently saw a 14 year-old Thai boy play the blues guitar in Saxophone pub and he was completely mesmerizing. I think he plays at Ad Here's Place near Khao San Road.

Chai is putting together a band right now to play at his place on soi Wat Umong. He is a really nice guy, Ive jammed with him a couple of times.

Slogger: Take Suthep rd, and turn left at soi Wat Umong. Continue past 7-eleven and the next set of stores, and you'll find a sign on the left side of the road: Chai house of blues. Drive in 50m and youre there. Its a really nice place, much nicer than the Brasserie, but still empty as he hasnt had a grand opening yet.

Re Boy, he plays at the Brasserie (as mentioned) but also at Warm Up and Ginger House, and will probably soon be playing at the Monkey Club.

SnareBear,

Thanks for this - I will check it out next time I am up in CM. Does Chai play there nightly? Pray tell me about warm Up, Ginger House and Monkey Club - where are they and are they Blues clubs?

This guy had all of Took's virtuosity but 1000% more passion for his music. Clearly, he hadn't spent much time playing with Took's band previously, but a few seconds of feeling each other out before each song led to some of the best jams I've ever heard,

Sorry to contradict, but I know Boy - he's Tuk's nephew and Tuk apparently taught Boy almost all he knows. I've only heard Tuk once at the Guitar Man and wow - he is far more accomplished than Boy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - Boy is superb as well, but not as accomplished, but he is much younger than Tuk. Boy has cut a CD of some songs that he played at the Bangkok Blues festival last year at Tokyo Joe's. His act was very popular. You can or could buy them from his manager who is Nick, the manager of Guitar Man. You can (or could) download some of these from the Guitar Man web site free of charge. You can also contact Boy through that web site. I listen to them regularly, although I've regressed into original Chicago blues since then.

I must say many Thai traditional blues groups are superb and second only to black bluesmen for me. Can't get enough of 'em. Beat the pants off most farang groups I've heard who all seem to end up sounding like the Eagles. Can't take such as Led zeppellin or many rock and rollers much anymore.

I recently saw a 14 year-old Thai boy play the blues guitar in Saxophone pub and he was completely mesmerizing. I think he plays at Ad Here's Place near Khao San Road.

I think you got your respondees mixed up. I agree with you, Took is a far more accomplished player than Boy. One difference I'd cite though is, I first saw Boy a couple of years ago, and he's much better now, while Took is not growing in the same way IMO. Also I like the way Boy's band is more collaborative and seems to be having a lot more fun trying different things.

I think you got your respondees mixed up. I agree with you, Took is a far more accomplished player than Boy. One difference I'd cite though is, I first saw Boy a couple of years ago, and he's much better now, while Took is not growing in the same way IMO. Also I like the way Boy's band is more collaborative and seems to be having a lot more fun trying different things.

I've batted in Took's corner in this forum more than once but he really does need a break from the Brasserie but that's his lifeline so he's likely stuck there for a while to come but he's drifting more from the sort of music he wants to play to that which will attract more punters and that as they say is business. He does play in Pai know and again at Be Bop and it's places like that where I think you'll see the true Took or in the Brasserie on a packed night. I did catch one excellent set about 4 months ago where he played nothing but Pink Floyd and it was simply stunning but plenty of mediocrity since.

I'm not back in town for another month but please do keep us up to date on Chai and his club. I only caught 10 minutes of him 10 days ago and he came across as being on the wild side but certainly livened the Brasserie up and that has to be good.