Acclimatising A Dog From The Uk

Hi there,

Moving to Bkk soon.Taking an American Cocker Spaniel with me.I live in the UK.Shes got a thick coat which ill get cut off before going,but concerned that it might be too hot for a dog thats used to the UK climate....Cold and Wet.

First sign of a Uk summer and she loves to lie in the shade,even when she has had her coat cut short.Dont want her to suffer in the intense heat or am i just worrying about nothing ?

Thx

I will be bringing my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel from the UK to Thailand in 10 days time. Yes im sure she will find it hard to adjust to the difference in climate but air conditioning, plenty of water and cool tiled floor can help im sure.

I'm concerned how my dog will cope on a 12 hour flight but he does like to sleep alot so hopefully he will sleep for most the flight. I could not bare to give my dog away so hopefully i can give him a good life in Thailand.

Nice to hear you are thinking about your dog's health, remember all the correct forms to get in place first and trip to the vet's for hers injections...

Edited by Kadafi

I contemplated this idea many years ago, but decided against it. I have seen over the years quite a few dogs that have been brought over from the UK, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, they have struggled to adjust & they have aged very rapidly. In one case, I remember a guy bringing over his 4yo GSD, in less than a year this dog looked twelve & died, the rate of aging seemed to go into overdrive.

I will be bringing my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel from the UK to Thailand in 10 days time. Yes im sure she will find it hard to adjust to the difference in climate but air conditioning, plenty of water and cool tiled floor can help im sure.

I'm concerned how my dog will cope on a 12 hour flight but he does like to sleep alot so hopefully he will sleep for most the flight. I could not bare to give my dog away so hopefully i can give him a good life in Thailand.

Nice to hear you are thinking about your dog's health, remember all the correct forms to get in place first and trip to the vet's for hers injections...

thx for ur reply....u were saying about the flight..I read in this forum that its been known for small lap dogs to be ableto be with you on ur seat during the flight.Not sure if this is 100% true but worth asking about,If u browse the forum,u might see it here somewhere.As for the injections,i know i got to get her the rabies jab,other jabs,health cert etc...Also she has to be chipped but i already had her chipped 2 years ago.Good luck with the journey and id love to know how it goes.Still early days for me as yet.Getting my house on the market soon and when sold,ill be doing this myself.I was quoted @£160 for all the neccessary jabs etc.Does this sound about right to u?Also what was ur proceedure from start to finish,just so i got an idea of wot i got to do?..

thx again

Glenn

thx for ur reply....u were saying about the flight..I read in this forum that its been known for small lap dogs to be ableto be with you on ur seat during the flight.Not sure if this is 100% true but worth asking about,If u browse the forum,u might see it here somewhere.As for the injections,i know i got to get her the rabies jab,other jabs,health cert etc...Also she has to be chipped but i already had her chipped 2 years ago.Good luck with the journey and id love to know how it goes.Still early days for me as yet.Getting my house on the market soon and when sold,ill be doing this myself.I was quoted @£160 for all the neccessary jabs etc.Does this sound about right to u?Also what was ur proceedure from start to finish,just so i got an idea of wot i got to do?..

thx again

Glenn

Hi, make sure to follow the steps in the thread about importing a dog in Thailand: the timing of the injections s quite important. Also the import permit required is only valid for 1 month after it is granted. The whole process isn't too complicated but the governement likes paperwork here. My whippet made it through in one piece...18 hours in a cage!

A very short haired dog coming from the Australian tropics...but it is even hotter here....likes her comfort lying on couches in air conditioned rooms. Walks in the early mornings and evenings. Got to really watch the soi dogs: they come out from nowhere and attack! I am sure her neck is longer as I have to grab her very quickly. A stick will help in the future!

Good luck.

I contemplated this idea many years ago, but decided against it. I have seen over the years quite a few dogs that have been brought over from the UK, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, they have struggled to adjust & they have aged very rapidly. In one case, I remember a guy bringing over his 4yo GSD, in less than a year this dog looked twelve & died, the rate of aging seemed to go into overdrive.

IME, this is a bit exaggerated. I've had several dogs that came straight from the airport with me in boarding, untill the owner/s found a place to stay.

Sure, the dogs will be pretty hot when coming here. Once I got a Newfoundlander mix, huge dog with very thick coat, that came in the hot season from a cold climate. First thing I did was groom out the undercoat, of course lots of fresh and cool water available, and made him wet during the hottest of the day. He was not in airconditioning. I saw him becoming more comfortable within a few days. All dogs that came in adjusted pretty quickly. And they are all alive and kicking untill today.

As for the GSD, I find that a strange story, and suspect there's more to it. For example, change of food to a lower grade (supermarket food) due to lack of nutrients the animal can start becoming grey as young as 2 years of age. Another possibility, I'm thinking of, is whether the dog picked up a tick parasite which went unrecognized by the owner as such.

My own German Shepherd, although she was ten at the time already, also suddenly looked way much older. Turned out she has cancer. She still is going, though. Tough dog! :D

And last but not least, although exceptions, I know of imported pet dogs that became or are quite old auch as

a pug of 11 years, a lab that became 16 years old and another one 14 years, a Jack Russell Terrier of 17 almost 18, and a GSD that passed on at the good age of 16 years.

IMHO, please bring your dog as s/he is part of the family, unless of course you aren't sure if you are going to stay in Thailand that long and there is a chance you will return to the UK within a couple of years. The return is difficult for the animal as it has to stay in quarantine in the UK for 6 months. If that's the case, I suggest to think it over carefully before deciding. The same advice is for those from countries like Australia and New Zealand.

My few setang, :o

Nienke

IME, this is a bit exaggerated. I've had several dogs that came straight from the airport with me in boarding, untill the owner/s found a place to stay.

Sure, the dogs will be pretty hot when coming here. Once I got a Newfoundlander mix, huge dog with very thick coat, that came in the hot season from a cold climate. First thing I did was groom out the undercoat, of course lots of fresh and cool water available, and made him wet during the hottest of the day. He was not in airconditioning. I saw him becoming more comfortable within a few days. All dogs that came in adjusted pretty quickly. And they are all alive and kicking untill today.

As for the GSD, I find that a strange story, and suspect there's more to it. For example, change of food to a lower grade (supermarket food) due to lack of nutrients the animal can start becoming grey as young as 2 years of age. Another possibility, I'm thinking of, is whether the dog picked up a tick parasite which went unrecognized by the owner as such.

My own German Shepherd, although she was ten at the time already, also suddenly looked way much older. Turned out she has cancer. She still is going, though. Tough dog! :D

And last but not least, although exceptions, I know of imported pet dogs that became or are quite old auch as

a pug of 11 years, a lab that became 16 years old and another one 14 years, a Jack Russell Terrier of 17 almost 18, and a GSD that passed on at the good age of 16 years.

IMHO, please bring your dog as s/he is part of the family, unless of course you aren't sure if you are going to stay in Thailand that long and there is a chance you will return to the UK within a couple of years. The return is difficult for the animal as it has to stay in quarantine in the UK for 6 months. If that's the case, I suggest to think it over carefully before deciding. The same advice is for those from countries like Australia and New Zealand.

My few setang, :o

Nienke

thx for the advice from u and every1 else.I have contacted a place in the uk called par air www.parair.co.uk They were very helpful.They arrange everything,including all vet jabs and documents.They also have an agent in Bkk who will collect my animals on arrival.Because it is a recognised company there,they say there wud be no holdups once there.Also the agent supplies the import docs too.All i got to do is take the dogs measurements and forward them on.Dont think this will be cheap but money will not be an issue when it comes to the wellbeing of my pets....One last thing ...dont know what comments ill get to this but this company also advised me to NEVER give an imported animal thai tap water to drink.They told me of an incident where a perfectly healthy dog died after being there for 2 months.The autopsy results were...cause of death...Tap water..Any views on this plz?

I brought my dog over here over two years ago. He was a 9 Y.O Hungarian Puli with a heavy coat. I have thinned the coat out a bit but he adapted to the heat very well and remarkably quickly. He is a bit slower these days but then he's an old feller nowadays. He seems to like Thailand.

hungarian_puli.jpg

I brought with me to old cat's from London, 15 and 16 years old i had the same worry but they been in Thailand for the past 16 month and they are OK,for the first month every day i used to wet them a little with cold water around the ears and on the head.Maybe you should wet the dog every day with cold water for the first month to help him out.

But i think will be OK.

Like the dog photo added on the thread, so couldn't resist...

Rough collie from Wisconsin to Bangkok and Thai Champion already :o - however brought over at a quite young age, took his time to get used to everything new here (and 1 year now, slightly out of coat). We let a professional company take care of the import/export procedure. Due to all precautions and preparations made a very short quarantine period at the airport was required...

He does get hot here at times, but you can add an extension, a dog room/house, with aircondition built in. Fans are required otherwise (depending whether the dog is inside or outside). He's happy little fella though...

2569922285_879ffab9ff.jpg