Brutal Assault In Ko Pha-ngan

Dangerous Koh Phangan... 8 years living here, never a problem. Yes, drug and alcohol; yes, a minority of rasta tattoed macho men; yes, many bike accidents; yes, police corruption. etc etc

But surely much less dangerous than walking in some big falang town.

And what about Pattaya, or Samui? Less or more dangerous of KPG?

I'm tired to read about this wild, outlaw, primitive island.

I would like to read some positive post, sometimes.

Not necessarily. I haven't heard this story but have found that the police don't like to get involved in farang on farang crime. In fact, they don't do much at all.

As for the idea that this is somehow related to Koh Phangan culture, well, the island has always attracted nuts, thai and foreign. In all the years I've lived here some of the craziest people I have ever seen have been foreigners.

Most of the local people live their own lives far separate from the party scene. Obviously business owners are involved but they are still a small percentage of the local community and most of those people harvest their coconuts, catch their fish and live their lives separate from the farang onslaught that is the party.

I would like to read some positive post, sometimes.

I think that it's important to speak about these problems there, because if nobody did it, that could become even worse ! :o

For the victims, that their show which they are not alone. :D

That's not to be negative, it's quite to the contrary ! I am with them morally because that could arrive at each one among us. :D

"i definitely feel it is a very dangerous place for those who do not stay on their toes"

I don't want to censorship the "bad" news about KPG (all my solidarity to this unlucky couple), it's important to know everything happens in the island, good and and bad, and the local government should improve the safety of the turists on the beaches and during the parties.

I only contest the trend of some people that only complain about KPG, showing the island so unsafe, wild and dangerous and showing the kind of turists only like dirty backpackers, addicted, freaks an nuts.

THis is offensive for the greater part of who live, work, or simply spend their vacation or their retirement on the island.

These are the reasons I'm tired to read only empty complainings.

Live on KPG since 10 tears in peace. But I don't go out to haad rin at night. Just on the daytime. But these terrible things are happening all over the world. Try downtown San Diego at night. Feel sorry for the couple. Wrong time, wrong place. :o

Live on KPG since 10 tears in peace. But I don't go out to haad rin at night. Just on the daytime. But these terrible things are happening all over the world. Try downtown San Diego at night. Feel sorry for the couple. Wrong time, wrong place. :o

...it has nothing to do with Ko Phangan as such. It is the global madness showing his face everywhere, no more escape!

I am very sorry for the people to going through such experiences. But it is not done with blaiming the police (which i don't like either), when the source of all this s*$t is somewhere far away? And what when we create all by our self? ;-)

ham

Somehow I think people should feel safer on a small island paradise.

I've always advocated a psyche test as part of any visa application. Of course that would require deporting about half the farang population.

I only contest the trend of some people that only complain about KPG, showing the island so unsafe, wild and dangerous and showing the kind of turists only like dirty backpackers, addicted, freaks an nuts.

THis is offensive for the greater part of who live, work, or simply spend their vacation or their retirement on the island.

I agree there is a good percentage of nice people just going about their daily lives. Phangan is a paradise and there are many happy, friendly, good people there. But in comparison to other islands in Thailand, Koh Phangan does attract more of the freaks and drug users (similar to Pattaya), and the locals/imported Thai workers associated with that scene are just as bad! It would be nice if there were more publicity about those aspects so that some day the police might be forced to get their act together and clean up the island. As it is now they seem to be paid to look the other way!

"Phangan is a paradise and there are many happy, friendly, good people there. But in comparison to other islands in Thailand, Koh Phangan does attract more of the freaks and drug users (similar to Pattaya), and the locals/imported Thai workers associated with that scene are just as bad!"

I absolutely agree with this, but I repeat not so different from Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Khao San, etc.

Just don't create a myth of a KPG where a turist can be lucky if survives.

Hey guys, look around you, and tell me it's noy happening, where you are. It's EVERYWHERE in this world, Berlin, London, Paris, Bangkok, Sydney and what about the U.S. ? Every 13 seconds somebody got shot, and 2.4 million are in jail? Safe??? Come on, we DO LIVE ON A PARADISE ISLAND !!! And that is what it should be known for. Don't let a few freaks in Haad Rin get our reputation as a paradise distroyed. There are freaks everywhere. Feel soory for the victims but don't blame everything on Koh Phangan!!! Could have happend everywhere else, or worse. e.g. U.S. , you would may be get shot.

And my guess is that you have not been here long enough and lack experience.Tourist Thailand has become a big mess and everybody are going to loose in the end.

There is no bigger chance to get robbed or assulted in Angeles city if u behave correct than on a very unlikley place in touristThailand,it doesnt matter if you are a tourist or consider yourself not to be :o:D

Not long time ago Thailand was very very safe and hurting a foreigner was a big big taboo!!

Edited by Mr lamai

More britons die on holiday in Thailand than any other country, consider the few hundered thousand who come compared to the millions who go to Spain it shows the country is the most dangerous to visit.

source Wikipedia

According to Guardian, Thailand has the highest death rate for any nation for Britons on holiday, some 224 Britons died in Thailand between April 2005 and March 2006.[

I live in Haad Rin since 2000, and never had a fight, never been harassed, nobody ask me any kind of bribes (i started with a beach bar opposite the infamous Drop In). And believe me, in my past nightlife on Haad Rin beach I've been drunk, but I never fight like some people usually do when drunk.

I understand more tourists, more money, more problems, more violence. I'm the first to say now there is more violence then some years ago, but before KPG was a place for hippies, trance party people, travellers, more used to be calm and friendly then the kind of young, drunk disco people coming now in Haad Rin, full of testosterone and ready to fight for nothing.

Phangan is still e shanty place to live or to spend your vacation.

More britons die on holiday in Thailand than any other country, consider the few hundered thousand who come compared to the millions who go to Spain it shows the country is the most dangerous to visit.

source Wikipedia

According to Guardian, Thailand has the highest death rate for any nation for Britons on holiday, some 224 Britons died in Thailand between April 2005 and March 2006.[

yes Nalak, that has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads and I do believe those statistics include natural deaths not just murders.

Whats interesting is that these people were assaulted by a foreigner, who was clearly off his head. And it seems the police knew about this guy as well. The problem with violence in Koh Phangan and most likely elsewhere in Thailand as well, is the fact that the police do no policing. They show up after the fact, and often do nothing then either. There is no concept of crime prevention among the police here.

Walking anywhere mullered at 2am is a risk.

True.

The first half of last year I checked through the threads here concerning death and viloence towards foreigners. All instances (close to 10 I believe) were between 00:30 and 06:00.

For the Britons, if statistics are right. Stay away from Thailand and go to Spain!!! And for Los Angeles, wake up. No risk??? Same like here, in some parts you won't find a cop at all. And if somebody get hurt, they are too afraid to get out of their bloody car.

the only thing interesting about this article is it is pure hearsay and appears to be written by the mother of one of the victims.

we do not know the real story, we know a version posted by a concerned parent. If claire and her companion had done something to incite this violence, it is entirely possible they would not have told mummy and daddy.

that said its just another great reason to avoid haadrin. one among many.

the only thing interesting about this article is it is pure hearsay and appears to be written by the mother of one of the victims.

You didn't read far enough. All the info about who did it comes from other sources. Read the other link I posted towards the beginning of the thread.