Fitness And Strength Of Thaivisa Members

unhappyfarang

At the turn of the last Century, a Fitness Pioneer said, that every able - bodied man, should be able to -

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups).

Lower himself between two parallel bars at least 25 times. (dips).

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups).

Run at top speed.

Jump obstacles, equal to waist in height, with ease.

Swim a mile.

Carry another human being, of comparable size, piggy back fashion, over distance.

Now, these are minimum requirments. If you are able to complete the exercises above, for the specified count, in perfect form, then you should have no difficulty with most, if not all, physical challenges that life may throw at you.

Get this. In the modern world 95% of men, are so far gone, they can't even do 5 press ups, some not a single press up. An embarssment to Mothernature. I wouldn't want a guy like that in my corner if I needed help.

So Thaivisa guys, let's have it........................

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups). YES

Lower himself between two parallel bars at least 25 times. (dips). Yes

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups). YES

Run at top speed. define top speed

Jump obstacles, equal to waist in height, with ease. Depends

Swim a mile. YES

Carry another human being, of comparable size, piggy back fashion, over distance. Embarrassingly had to carry a bird from end of walking street back to Soi 13 on my back

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups). Yes

Lower himself between two parallel bars at least 25 times. (dips). Yes

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups). Yes

Run at top speed. Won't run because of herniated disc but would if I had to

Jump obstacles, equal to waist in height, with ease. Yes

Swim a mile. Slowly

Carry another human being, of comparable size, piggy back fashion, over distance. Yes

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups). I can bench 120kg/3x10 reps so i think i could

Lower himself between two parallel bars at least 25 times. (dips). just done 3 lots of 20 about 30 mins ago could easily do more.

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups). Yes

Run at top speed. Yes but it isnt too fast

Jump obstacles, equal to waist in height, with ease. Probably

Swim a mile. No chance can swim 1 length max.

I think with a months training most able bodied people could do all those with the exception being the swimming.

Edited by boiledegg

Carry another human being, of comparable size, piggy back fashion, over distance. Embarrassingly had to carry a bird from end of walking street back to Soi 13 on my back

The things us men have to do for love.

Hope she wasnt the same size as you unless youre 40-45kg ish.

Impressive, the first few replies, must be from the minority. I am now 33 years old and can do all of the above, also with ease. I used to lift weights, but then after more than a dozen injuries in the weights room I got smart and tossed the iron for GOOD. Bodybuilders have big, unusable, unathletic physiques. They are showpieces and their physiques are counterfit. Whenever somebody even mentions the word "Bodybuliding" I run in the opposite direction.

After more than 15 years of training I have come to the conclusion that the ONLY weight a man should pump, is his own bodyweight. I am in better shape now than I ever was whilst lifting weights. Now, my training consist of HARD, vigerous, bodyweight routines.

Another thing. Booksmarts think that physical exercise isn't neccessary and may even sneer. But if you have a waistline bulging over your belt, with all the health risks associated with such a state, there ain't that much going on upstairs. And if you're so physically weak you can't push, pull and move your body to meet the minimum requirments on the list, you should consider making some changes in your life. So, noboby is off the hook here :o

Impressive, the first few replies, must be from the minority. I am now 33 years old and can do all of the above, also with ease. I used to lift weights, but then after more than a dozen injuries in the weights room I got smart and tossed the iron for GOOD. Bodybuilders have big, unusable, unathletic physiques. They are showpieces and their physiques are counterfit. Whenever somebody even mentions the word "Bodybuliding" I run in the opposite direction.

After more than 15 years of training I have come to the conclusion that the ONLY weight a man should pump, is his own bodyweight. I am in better shape now than I ever was whilst lifting weights. Now, my training consist of HARD, vigerous, bodyweight routines.

Can't agree with you there bro, I have been lifting weights since the early Eighties and never had a gym related injury, as long as you train smart and don't let your ego get in the way there is no reason to get broke. And how do you think bodybuilders get big muscles? From strictly lifting heavy weights and progressively getting stronger. I am of course not even talking about anything to do with steroids as it's not something I approve of or know much about.

A good all round system with weights / cardio / core strength exercises should be a must for everyone. I train for strength to help me at work, and it does, often.

Be healthy.

I'm sorry but come on guys. I mean ok everyone reckons they can do all the pushups and dips etc no problem but swimming a mile? Give me a break. A mile of water stretched out in front of you? I'd love to see some of these internet athletes swim for a mile without stopping with nothing to rest on, just remember fellas a mile taxi ride from Asoke to Nana aint the same as swimming a mile :o

Despite CONVENTIONAL gym wisdom - Strength "Core" Strength, Cardio Fitness AND Flexability are best obtained through bodyweight exercises. I myself have discovered this through experience. Countless other athletes at the top level, although they'd never tell you, have too. The masses continue to follow popular, mainstream, training methods. And are often wrecking their bodies in the process. The damage is usually accumulates over time, and as they age, it shows itself. A mainstream gym is the LAST place on earth I would go to learn how to train if I had my time again. "Personal Trainers" are often the worst culprits when it comes to bad training instruction.

Westerners like to seperate Mind, Body, Spirit. As Western athletes refer to Strength, core, fitness. But they are a single entity. Bruce Lee knew this, and as well as his martial art skills, built an awesome physique through advanced bodyweight exercises, in fact the only injury he ever sustained was whilst lifting weights, needless to say, he never touched a weight again - I wish I made this discovery 10 years ago.

A big, wide back, big stupid pecks, and a neck like a tree trunk give one a brutish, unathletic look. It may impress others in the gym, but on the outside ( the real world), Bodybuilders are a laughing stock. I have seen, with my own eyes, countless times, bloated lifters walking down the street, or strutting I should say, thinking they look good and in their midst, people are LAUGHING at them.

The list is one of basic exercises. I am training with an ADVANCED system od bodyweight exercises. I could put a "Bodybuilder" through a drill of bodyweight exercises that will have him screaming for his mother and on his back within 10 minutes - A 600 pound Deadlift, 500 pound Squat and 400 pound, plus Bench ( These are my top poundages before I got smart and made the change) won't help, or carry - over either.

As I said before. I am Stronger, leaner, more muscular, fitter and more flexable than I ever was whilst lifting weights. The only weight I pump, is my own bodyweight.

At the turn of the last Century, a Fitness Pioneer said, that every able - bodied man, should be able to -

Able-bodied ... therein lies the rub.

I'm not able-bodied and can't do half the things in this list. I know able-bodied people who can't to half those things either. Now what?

Boxers lift heavyweights pre fight to give them the extra dig, so long as you do a minimum of 10 reps youll be ok, though i do agree that it is the cheats way of getting strong, using your own body or 30/40 reps with half the weight you'd normally lift is more difficult.

I personally have only been back at the gym for a month once ive got to a certain level i will do the above, but <deleted> swimming i am useless at it, i swim like im drowning.

People have become lazy and unfit and IMO men under 50 should be able to do most the above.

Edited by boiledegg

Honestly how many readers are like me :D nearly 65, have led an active working and sporting life, sustained a few serious injuries along the way involving real invasive surgery, but carried on with the same lifestyle until body parts started falling off or just packing up :D slowly picking up metal or plastic replacement body parts along the way, so many infact!! that you carry a special pass to get round all airport xray machines, and running the gauntlet of the anti theft devices in many stores are an every day threat to life , like carrying your ownpersonal armed claymore round with you :D ,which also gives you the ability to pick up static electricity and store it like a battery(my wife is still experimenting with ways to make me into a human electric blanket and Reading lamp) B) , now to your exercises well,to be honest!! pushups I manage a few , running or any impact exercise are not even worth thinking about :D I do swim regularly and could swim a mile no problem at my own pace, try and eat healthy but still the fight with the pot belly gets harder every day, still drink the odd sherbet or two in company, and tend to get spoiled when we are in isaan.I,m not an adonis but for my age still pretty fit , cant be cremated , my skeleton if ever dug up will confirm that Robocop actually lived in Queensland :D I am sure that many expats in my age group are in the same sort of state, but honestly who gives a Rats!! once they invent a viable socket so I can recharge the diverse implant batteries myself and I can have grease nipples fitted on all my artificial joints and a really decent all purpose superglue so that screws holding some the metal plates dont keep coming loose!!if these get invented soon I will live forever :o just have to spray the soles of my feet with hard rubber to stop my legs fraying at the ends :D Nignoy

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups).

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups).

Run at top speed.

Swim a mile.

Carry another human being, of comparable size, piggy back fashion, over distance.

Now, these are minimum requirments. If you are able to complete the exercises above, for the specified count, in perfect form, then you should have no difficulty with most, if not all, physical challenges that life may throw at you.

Get this. In the modern world 95% of men, are so far gone, they can't even do 5 press ups, some not a single press up. An embarssment to Mothernature. I wouldn't want a guy like that in my corner if I needed help.

I think theres a lot more "help" you can give to people than physical fitness how about being polite, sharing, kind, supportive, hard working etc so what if you cant run or swim will that save you in todays world really.

I know some blokes who spend all their time preening themselves working out etc and treat other people like crap. Real men arent the ones who are super fit they are the ones there in times of need, who will turn up to help when you most need it.

Run at top speed.

Swim a mile.

When I was 20 I could easily do all of this and a lot more. At 30 I couldn't do the dips because I had shattered a shoulder in combat, and probably couldn't jump over waist high obstacles because of a blown out knee in a parachute jump. But even at 60, I can swim forever and could still carry another human being of comparable size over distance. I'm happy to say that while I'm still standing, the Fitness Pioneer is not.

Edited by farang prince

Is it a tuk tuk? Or is it a Honda Phantom? Faster than a speeding bar girl offering short time, yes it’s SUPER FARANG.

Before I retired to Thailand, I thought of myself as being really fit. I could walk for miles, work all day and still have energy enough for a long night out on the town, do regular workouts at the gym and generally run about with ease.

These days after 5 years of living a cosy little lifestyle in Thailand without being under any pressure to do anything, I must admit that health wise I am not half the man I used to be only a few short years ago.

Mentally I am contented and happy, physically this lifestyle has taken it’s toll. Not exactly an invalid, but definitely don’t have the same stamina.

I’m sure I am not the only one in this situation.

true - the realm of physical exercise should be kept in perspective. It can become an obsession, and gyms do attract narsistics. Sound physical health is certainly important and exercise is neccessary for this. But it can't substiute a happy, compassionate, kind, loving life. I used to be a gym rat, but not anymore. I have working out a part of my life, working out, isn't my life. :o

Run at top speed.

Swim a mile.

Not sure about all the rest but I can swim 3 miles no problem and I can walk 5 miles no problem, the rest? Not a hope in hel_l

Push his straightened body from the floor and back at least 50 times. ( press ups). No - Bilateral rotetor cuff tears from swimming and surfing.

Lower himself between two parallel bars at least 25 times. (dips). No refer above

Pull himself up on an overhead bar until the bar is clear of his chin, at least 10 - 15 times. (pull ups). No, above

Run at top speed. Yes but not for too long

Jump obstacles, equal to waist in height, with ease. Not sure

Swim a mile. No see number one

I do still go out and work on friends side jobs building decks or doing masonry work on weekends when a nice job comes up.

My contractor buddies say I do twice the work as the guys 15 to 25 years younger, if that counts for anything at 56.

Also do heavy bag 30 minutes three times per week, some dumbell work outs (light weight), Tai Chi, occasional sparring and try to do 35 mile bike ride every week but sometimes skip because busy working.

D@m rotator cuffs cramping my style... :o