Thai Driving Licence

Yes - but she needs an IDP issued in Thailand also, not just her Thai licence, and she can only drive on it while there as a tourist.

If she's there for settlement, I believe she can drive on it initially, but am unsure when the cutoff is. (i.e. I know you're not supposed to drive on a Thai IDP once you've got Indefinite Leave to Remain).

However, the rule will be the same for all countries where nationals need an IDP, so you should really be looking at UK websites (department of transport?)

just been having a nose around the net and found this.

To obtain an International license you must take documents to the Vehicle Registration Division of the Communication Transport Agency (opposite Chatuchak Park), Poholythin Rd, Bangkok, Tel: (02) 272-3615. Application can also be made at the Vehicle Registration Office in Chiang Mai located on Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd. tel (053) 270-411 as well as other registered Centres

looks like she will need her license, ID Card, possibly her "residents book" (sorry don't know the proper name", couple of photos and bt 505

This is just what I've found after a quick search, it might not be 100% accurate and someone who has done this for real may be able to confirm or correct. :o

totster :D

just thought it would be easier for her to obtain a licence in thailand, before she comes to the uk, as she would have to know the highway code and sit a written test in the UK.

I think it may be advisable that she knows the highway code and can understand what signs say if she is to drive in the UK anyway Spuds, for her safety as well as everyone else's on the roads.

Yes - but she needs an IDP issued in Thailand also, not just her Thai licence, and she can only drive on it while there as a tourist.

If she's there for settlement, I believe she can drive on it initially, but am unsure when the cutoff is. (i.e. I know you're not supposed to drive on a Thai IDP once you've got Indefinite Leave to Remain).

However, the rule will be the same for all countries where nationals need an IDP, so you should really be looking at UK websites (department of transport?)

I believe the Thai license can be used for up to one year with an IDP.