Double Nationality

Hi

I have this question, don't seem to find an answer on Dutch/Belgian forums :

My son (Thai mother) has a Thai passport (OK to enter Thailand), and we were planning to use his Belgian ID card to re-enter Schengen (Amsterdam).

Now some people say it's best to get a Belgian passport as well, because the airline company (we fly EVA) could refuse to accept the Belgian ID-card and would require a Visa for Belgium (in his Thai passport) or a Belgian passport.

Anyone has experience with this ? Maybe I would do best to get a Belgian passport as well, just to be sure.

all info appreciated, grtz :o

I strongly recommend that you get a Belgian passport for son, then he should always use his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand, use his Belgian passport to enter and leave Belgium and other countries where it is easier to go with the Belgian passport, ie all but a few countries.

The Belgian ID card my be acceptable in some European countries but certainly not for check-in in Thailand as evidence that no visa for Belgium is needed when checking in with a Thai passport, unless you are travelling with a Belgian airline and a Belgian executive of the airline is present at the check-in counter to authorise it.

--

Maestro

I strongly recommend that you get a Belgian passport for son, then he should always use his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand, use his Belgian passport to enter and leave Belgium and other countries where it is easier to go with the Belgian passport, ie all but a few countries.

The Belgian ID card my be acceptable in some European countries but certainly not for check-in in Thailand as evidence that no visa for Belgium is needed when checking in with a Thai passport, unless you are travelling with a Belgian airline and a Belgian executive of the airline is present at the check-in counter to authorise it.

--

Maestro

Thank you sir, we'll go and get a Belgian passport as well then.