Electric Scooters

bentrein

Perhaps some of you have tried before, what I'm planning to try...

Across from where I live there's an 'electric scooter wholesaler' who, because of proximity of my living quarters, would sell me one. As i live fairly close to work, this is a very reasonable option. A (Thai) friend of mine claims that it's impossible to register these things with the authorities, making them illegal on Thai public roads...

Is my Thai friend right or wrong? What are - if any - the options of getting an electric scooter onto Thai roads?

On my way to work I have to pass one junction that is permanently occupied by police, so I won't risk it - it's cheaper to take a taxi, if you get my drift.

Across from where I live there's an 'electric scooter wholesaler' who, because of proximity of my living quarters, would sell me one. As i live fairly close to work, this is a very reasonable option. A (Thai) friend of mine claims that it's impossible to register these things with the authorities, making them illegal on Thai public roads...

Is my Thai friend right or wrong? What are - if any - the options of getting an electric scooter onto Thai roads?

On my way to work I have to pass one junction that is permanently occupied by police, so I won't risk it - it's cheaper to take a taxi, if you get my drift.

If it has pedals (same as bicycle) you do not need to register it.

as long as you wear a helmet and dont talk on your mobile phone you will be ok....

but carrying 12 children, a goat, 2 gas cans while smoking is still legally acceptable on you electric scooter :o

Have Fun

but carrying 12 children, a goat, 2 gas cans while smoking is still legally acceptable on you electric scooter :D

:o

@Pushit: And if it looks like a scooter? I've seen several in my development, but none of them have a number plate. Upon asking, no one has tried to get a number plate; all owners use it as a gadget. Anyone know how and if I can get a plate on an electric scooter? Once I got that, I can take my 3 sheep and 9 chickens to the market... :D

as long as you wear a helmet and dont talk on your mobile phone you will be ok....

but carrying 12 children, a goat, 2 gas cans while smoking is still legally acceptable on you electric scooter :D

Have Fun

:o

Can you post a pic of the scooter??

Edited by cluezo

http://www.la-bicycle.com/e-ride/products/

Electric scooter of small cc do not require registration. I have one that is the E-Zip 450 (see link provided), It's good for around the place riding. It cost only bht 13,000 and comes with an electric battery charger.

Maximum speed is 30 kmh and max load is 120 kg. It can travels up to 35 km at one go. I was told by the shop owner no registration and no need for helmet.

Maximum speed is 30 kmh and max load is 120 kg. It can travels up to 35 km at one go. I was told by the shop owner no registration and no need for helmet.

Thanks, but that would be an uninteresting one for me. I can do 30km/h on a normal bicycle for an hour - also on Thai roads. I need something sturdier than that.

I will ask the guy selling them, and - if the response is unsattisfactory - I'll see about a chance to go to the land transport department. Need to get a 'motorcy'cle drivers' license anyway...

Will get back to you guys.

Edit: @Cluezo: I'll try to get a pick online soon.

Edited by bentrein

A (Thai) friend of mine claims that it's impossible to register these things with the authorities, making them illegal on Thai public roads...

I've seen an official letter that, I'm told, translates as any electric scooter capable of going over 45K/hour must be registered. If it goes less than that then you do not have to register it. I believe that is the same as the EEC regulations.

I'm considering a 1000W model that will have to be registered. The dealer said it will cost 1,200 baht for registration and insurance. Obviously they think they are going to get number plates.

Hi,

Im looking to get a stand up electric scooter that I can take up to my room when Im not using it (as Iv already had a bike stolen in BKK before) and was wondering if you know if the wholesaler sells them or if not do you know of anywhere alse that does?

Ive seen the LA bicycle ones but there's just one stand up one from them, the rest are more like little motorbikes and I dont reckon it'd be long before it got nicked.

Any info is appreciated

Cheers T

Im looking to get a stand up electric scooter that I can take up to my room when Im not using it (as Iv already had a bike stolen in BKK before) and was wondering if you know if the wholesaler sells them or if not do you know of anywhere alse that does?

I've seen that type at Big C and Tesco Lotus for 7,900 baht.

Here's what my dealer says:

With an engine over 500W, they'll have to be registered - and can be. (So my Thai friend, see first post, was wrong).

Other considerations regarding the engine is that a 1000W, pulls a lot of power out of the battery at once, which (supposedly) decreases the battery's lifetime. Hence my dealer only does 500W engines.

However, they've got smart, before I had the chance to buy a scooter, and they're turning their 'warehouse' into a shop, which sells the things regularly. As of some time early July, they're getting a new type - also 500W engine, but it runs up to 60 kmph. However, a battery lasts only 60 km...

The search continues

Oh, ps.: I couldn't take a picture, as they're still in the process of refurbishing their shop - so no bikes are in it at the moment.

Edit: They're Chang Cheng

Edited by bentrein

There is a electric Tuk Tuk, down on the main road, the Thai guy had the whole back tipped up outside 7/11 one day when I stopped.. under the floor were about 12 packs of double batteries, I often see it and is used as a Taxi, it is strange as there is no noise. It has Thai plates

So if a Tuk Tuk is legal then can see no reason why a scooter would not be.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 1000W Toyotron scooter. I currently have red plates and am waiting on the official plates for it.

post-45863-1216007481_thumb.jpg

I've had it about 2 weeks and have driven it about 400 Km. Here are my impressions.

The good:

• Quiet.
  • Batteries are in the floorboard so it has a low center of gravity and handles well.
  • Good under-seat storage.
  • Nice styling. Above photo is from their brochure. I bought white, not red & white.
  • I smile every time I pass a gas station.

The bad:

• Range. They claim a range of 60 Km/charge. It is closer to 30 Km. Maybe if you only rode it on the low setting and only went downhill with a tailwind and only weighed 20 Kg you might get 60 Km.
  • Brakes. The first time I had to really stop short, the nut on the rear brakes slipped and I nearly hit the jerk who pulled out in front of me. I had the shop add a couple of extra nuts to lock it in place and the problems seems to have been resolved. There was also a problem with the front brakes chattering. The shop was able to fix that problem too. In the end, it has dual drum brakes and requires a fair amount of force to stop.
  • External charger. You will have to carry the charger with you if you want to charge it away from home. The batteries are way too heavy to take out and charge, so it's no good for people living in condos.
  • Ground clearance. We have lots of tall speed bumps here and it will bottom out on the tallest ones (but so do some motorbikes).
  • Low quality plastic/fiber and poor fit & finish. The one I received was missing 3 screws in the body panels. The front fascia had several scratches. They agreed to replace it and told me 1 week for the part. I'm still waiting. I'll probably remove two of the stickers since the misspelling of "High Technology" as "Hight Technology" bugs me.
  • Speedometer. The speedometer doesn't read accurately. Oddly it reads too slow. Clearly they wouldn't do that intentionally. I think the shop understood that I want it replaced but I haven't received a new one yet.
  • Seat lock. It has a separate lock to access the under seat storage instead of building it into the ignition like my Nouvo. It is hard to get the lock to engage when putting the seat back down. If you are riding you can just sit on it and it will eventually lock, but if you are stopping to put your helmet in the storage you will have to mess with it a while.

Obviously the bad outweighs the good. With fuel prices predicted to top 50 baht/liter, I still think electrics are the way to go but I wouldn't recommend the Toyotron brand. Perhaps if I have no more problems and the Toyotron outlasts its 1 year warranty I'll change my mind. Many of the above problems are shared by all of the Chinese made bikes I've seen. Hopefully Honda, Yamaha, or another Japanese bike maker will start selling an electric. I'm anxiously awaiting the hybrid scooters. I've spoken with Fusen Angell who says they should have them on sale in December. Of course, this is Thailand and there is no guarantee it will be December of this year. They are not sure of the price, but it sounds like it will be at least 50,000 baht.

We have had one for about a year now, it easily does 60, probably moer like 80 really, but they are not as stable as a Dragstar so I don't. Yes it is registered cost about half a much a normal bike.

They are great for short trips but you do have to take the time to recharge them and that takes time.

If your office is wihtin 20 Klms you won't have a problem if you recharge it at night.

Got to be very careful though it's so quiet people don't hear you coming

We use it around our village for Tallot runs ect. Very happy with it.

I faxed several of the issues mentioned above to the Toyotron head office in Bangkok. I received a call the next afternoon from a gentleman who spoke excellent English and seems genuinely interested in solving the problems. He said they are sending out a technician tomorrow to take a look at the bike and fix the problems.

The truth is that any manufacturer will have problems. I bough the first model Nouvo and had to take it into the shop 7 times because it wouldn't start when cold. Yamaha asked me to take it to a different shop who eventually had to replace the carburetor. Since then it has been an excellent bike.

If all these issues can be resolved I'll be quite happy with the Toyotron e-bike. I'll post a follow up once I have more details.

We have had one for about a year now, it easily does 60, probably moer like 80 really, but they are not as stable as a Dragstar so I don't. Yes it is registered cost about half a much a normal bike.

Sorry for misunderstanding... Does your bike reach 80 km/h, or does it have a one-charge-distance of 80km?

Also, is your bike a Toyotron, or another one?

Both actually the specs say 60 & 80, but it's not working hard at 60, it's got more. But you have to remember the wheels are very small compared to motorcycle, that mean it effects how it rides. That is my limit on it.

I 'll answer the brand name when the wife gets back she is off to the Talot LOL

We bought here in Udon have only had one minor problem a defective battrey charger they fixed that and off we went.

Thsi is not made for speed or long distances but they are very comfortable for local trips.

Our hobby is motorcycle touring and has been for six years here now. That is much different world then what we are talking about here. But locally I'm very ahppy wiht it. Inexpensive to buy and use. quiet and comfortable

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought one too... It looks similar to Corey's thing. I have no complaints about the range - it does actually 40kms (they promised between 40 and 50). I've only two real cons so far:

1. The spedometer measures the amount of power going through the engine (or something like that) so whether I'm going up a steep hill at walking speed, or down one at high speed, as long as I keep the accelerator full open, the spedometer will say that I'm going 55km/h. I'm still not sure what the actual top speed is on a flat road; guessing somewhere between 30 and 40 km/h.

2. The lights are of a weird make. I opened it up today, because I want to go for halogen lights - I need my bike at night, want to be really visible - but the size of the fitting is not standard. None of the motorbike (or car!) part shops have this type of light (not halogen, nor ordinary glowbulb). I'm curious what I'm going to do when the bulb gives.

Other than that, it's lovely not to contribute to the pong or the din on the road. I haven't had trouble with people not hearing me - people look when it's really necessary. Only inside my moo ban I've made pedestrians jump. :o

• 3 months later...

Has any found out what the top speed actually is for yours? I am thinking about buying one, either a toyotron or one from evthai. Their motors are in 800w-1000w range, so I am concerned about having enough acceleration when crossing intersections. Any addional thouoghts or info would be great for those who have one already.

May this is overkill:

Killacycle electric motorcycle. 0-60 mph in 0.97 seconds

post-72597-1228579478_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of getting an electric bicycle or scooter to travel from my apartment to the BTS station near my place. Do you think it would be safe to park my bike near a BTS? I wonder if I should get an e-bike that looks more like a scooter or a bicycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you're right. You should take a taxi to work. Scared to death to do something illegal? In a country where the most people haven't got a driver license? I'm pretty sure that you know some people who are not your friends, and white. Send them to the cops, carrying 25 chickens on 2 legs, a buffalo, and you. Ask them very friendly if they want a ride. I'm sure they'll buy it for a lot of money. (P.S. Don't forget a sheep)

• 2 months later...
http://www.la-bicycle.com/e-ride/products/

Electric scooter of small cc do not require registration. I have one that is the E-Zip 450 (see link provided), It's good for around the place riding. It cost only bht 13,000 and comes with an electric battery charger.

On this website I see only 2-wheel scooters. I am looking ofr a 3-wheel, for an elderly person, who cannot walk so well anymore. In Europe quite standard, but in Thailand ? I have not seen it. In China: I know 2 factories

Please advise, if any to : wanmeephon at tropifood dot net

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...