Bangkok- Phuket International Hospital

HDRIDER

Hi

Some was talking about Bangkok- Phuket international hospital was expensive. A friend of mine have a mental illness, pills for 1 months is 27.800 B in Phuket, in Bangkok on Bumrungrad hospital its 15.000 B same pills. And that was talking to the shrink for 1 hour, in Phuket its 15 minutes talk.

Hi

Some was talking about Bangkok- Phuket international hospital was expensive. A friend of mine have a mental illness, pills for 1 months is 27.800 B in Phuket, in Bangkok on Bumrungrad hospital its 15.000 B same pills. And that was talking to the shrink for 1 hour, in Phuket its 15 minutes talk.

I think all the hospitals make good coin on the drugs.

Recently I had a bit of a spill and was at Phuket International, doctor saw me one day and prescribed something to fight infection. My bill usually was 700thb but with the pills the lady says "1700". I declined the pills, found out what it was, then went to the local pharmacy and got the generic for 200thb.

HI

The problem with this is that the person have to talk with a shrink so they can see what kind of pills and how many from time to time.

Well.....yes, probably not smart to self prescribe drugs. Good luck with it HDRider.

Cheers, HB

I prefer to use the Phuket International rather than the Bangkok Phuket as all prices are a bit cheaper. I don't want to pay for a 5 star hotel/hospital. I just want good treatment in a normal hospital.

Don't see the problem with buying the drugs prescribed by the hospital at a local pharmacy. It's not 'self' prescibed, but just the same as the doctor ordered. The hospital will even write down what the doctor ordered.

I prefer to use the Phuket International rather than the Bangkok Phuket as all prices are a bit cheaper. I don't want to pay for a 5 star hotel/hospital. I just want good treatment in a normal hospital.

Don't see the problem with buying the drugs prescribed by the hospital at a local pharmacy. It's not 'self' prescibed, but just the same as the doctor ordered. The hospital will even write down what the doctor ordered.

Phuket International have raised their prices quite a lot since the renovation work has been done. When i went to the dentist there the other day i asked if prices had gone up and the lady said " yes, for cleaning it is now 1.500B , the last time i went ( 6 months ago) it was 800. :o I've always paid the price for the doctors time but got my drugs from a local pharmacy, as said, it's MUCH cheaper.

Hi

What medication are they taking?

As regards to the duration of the appointment, then it would depend on what is known about the patient and history. I do agree though, that it seems somewhat expensive.

A few more details may help to explain a lot more.

Hi

I dont know the pills, but can remember 1 of them was big and very light, like mash mellows, think that one was made by Jannsen or something like that. i have seen the bills so it is true.

Common drugs eg zantac (ranitidine) are cheaper in los from the chemists than in farangland. however rarer one are much dearer. try www.drugbuyers.com and see if you can have them shipped to thailand. however check out customs laws and dont order any drug that has an abuse potential eg anything with opiatelike content - possible jail time.

Other options, shop around the chemists, see what prices they can offer. If he has a trip back to farangland scheduled, try to get his gp to give him a big prescription.

Hi

I think all the hospitals make good coin on the drugs.

Recently I had a bit of a spill and was at Phuket International, doctor saw me one day and prescribed something to fight infection. My bill usually was 700thb but with the pills the lady says "1700". I declined the pills, found out what it was, then went to the local pharmacy and got the generic for 200thb.

Hi there HD, yes BPK ben Pang Mak! There are two doctors in the mental health center, Dr. Anand, and Dr. Narong. Narong is especially expensive for CBT evaluation and treatment, sometimes up to 12,00BHT/hour :o depending on treatment. Bumrungrad so I've heard has better prices and good shrinks. The problem with BPK, in my experience, is BPK is the only place with decent CBT therapists to talk to.

Huggy, you took the right option, after 2 years of working with them, I couldn't believe how many people wouldn't decline the use of BPK pharmacy, and goto one of the THOUSANDS of pharmacies around the island with a prescrip. You made the right move. Remember, 10 Ibuprofin at BPK can cost 1000BHP depending on your visa status!

HI

The problem with this is that the person have to talk with a shrink so they can see what kind of pills and how many from time to time.

HD a suggestion for your friend. It seems like these drugs, are not available in generic form in Thailand, and your friend has to pay for the more expensive brand name. Depending on his/her situation, they should go to Wachira hospital with their old prescription and visit the shrink there, I've heard terrible things about him, but it would be cheaper, and he could prescribe the same medication.

Phuket International have raised their prices quite a lot since the renovation work has been done. When i went to the dentist there the other day i asked if prices had gone up and the lady said " yes, for cleaning it is now 1.500B , the last time i went ( 6 months ago) it was 800. :D I've always paid the price for the doctors time but got my drugs from a local pharmacy, as said, it's MUCH cheaper.

In my experience with them, the price as I was told usually went up around 10% every 8 months. Have no delusions, you are paying for all the renovation and construction, and in my 2 years, they never stopped working. They are right now adding 3 more floors to the main building so expect a MAJOR price increase for the next high season.

Hope this helps!

Lithobid