How Are You Learning Thai?

desi

Since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of women in the Thai Language section, I thought I'd ask here.

Before moving to Thailand I started purchasing Thai language books. Due to work and life, I haven't spent much time learning the language. But now my life has finally settled, it's time. Yeah, it took more than a few hiccups, but here I go. Here I am, again.

No surprise, but a chunk of the Thai language courses are geared towards men.

Slogging through a multitude of discussions between western men and Thai women can be wearing.

An additional problem, trying to read tiny Thai is tiring.

Bottom line, if I'm going to spend my time learning a language I'd rather concentrate on sentences I'll actually use. In sentences I can actually read (I'm not brilliant, but I do know most of the alphabet).

So my questions are...

1) For those who learned or are in the process ... did you opt for formal schooling, buy one of the available courses, get a Thai bf (or gf), or a combo?

2) There are a number of lasses here married to Thais ... did you learn mostly from your husbands and your new Thai family?

3) Do you recommend any one course over the others?

Right now I have a new Thai teacher (she's rather good actually). We are presently going through the AUA Language Centre course but I'm starting to kick up a fuss. The majority is male and it's become rather tedious.

I'm not going to enter into a barber shop. And I'm not going to spend a lot of time telling Thai women how cute they are (even if they are).

And if I have to say CRAP one more time ...

What I'd really love is a Thai course written for expat women. I've contacted a handful of the going concerns but it doesn't seem to be a priority. And face it, the market for expat men is huge out here. The market for expat women, not so much.

In a crazy moment I even bought a domain name to blog about the subject. To you know, point expat women to worthwhile learning materials and all? But, I'm not even sure there's enough information out there to post once a week even. I did find a boatload of Thai lessons for the love you long time crowd though ...

So, what are your personal experiences with learning the Thai language? Hit and miss? Slogging through? Won't bother? Or are you one of those lucky linguists who can learn a language just by breathing?

BTW - I'm interested in joining an all female Thai conversation group (in Bangkok) if any one is up for it. It'd be fun to practice chatting in Thai about boyfriends and men in general, where to buy this and that, what's going on back home, what's going on in Thailand, the best places for expat women to go in Thailand, etc.

1) For those who learned or are in the process ... did you opt for formal schooling, buy one of the available courses, get a Thai bf (or gf), or a combo?

Well I'm male, but I'll still answer.....

As I am working outside Thailand I am learning the language remotely. and self taught (no teacher).

I am using the Bengawan Becker series "Thai for Beginners" and "Intermediate Thai..." etc.

I don't find the content particularly male oriented, and example conversations are usually male-female and generally about when it's time to eat, and who's just eaten or watched TV.

The most annoying slant to this book (from the exercise texts) is that all Thai food is great, all western food is crap and how much better Thailand is than farang-land (well that's the general drift).

Notwithstanding that though I think it's a good place to start.

Bengawan Becker series "Thai for Beginners" ... I don't find the content particularly male oriented, and example conversations are usually male-female and generally about when it's time to eat, and who's just eaten or watched TV.

Agreed, it's not male oriented, but neither are the conversations interesting.

"Thai for Beginners" was the first book I bought before moving to Thailand. It does seem to have a decent vocabulary, but it just didn't click with me. The tapes are tied tight to the book ( '13' ... '14' ... '15' and such) instead of a logical speak / listen sequence I find invaluable when in transit on the skytrain, taxis, etc.

The gripes I have with the book design are:

1) The main Thai (but not all) is small. Not impossible, but I do get eye strain if I attempt to read the Thai for any amount of time.

2) Lack of breathing space between some sentence groups.

The most annoying slant to this book (from the exercise texts) is that all Thai food is great, all western food is crap and how much better Thailand is than farang-land (well that's the general drift).

I didn't notice the negative slant but looking back through, I can see that you are right.

Truthfully, my problem with this book might be because it was the first one I bought. And being overwhelmed with a new language (and gasping at having to learn the Thai alphabet right from the start), I most likely put it on the shelf without giving it a second chance.

So glancing through (again), I believe it's far superior to AUA. Mainly because it starts off with a useful vocabulary.

But I'm still hoping for lessons that are not as dry (read 'boring'). Lessons I can use in my (female) daily life. And I don't know about you, but I laugh and joke a lot in my Thai life. Humour has definitely been kept out of language learning. What a shame.

Well I'm male, but I'll still answer.....

As I am working outside Thailand I am learning the language remotely. and self taught (no teacher).

I am using the Bengawan Becker series "Thai for Beginners" and "Intermediate Thai..." etc.

I don't find the content particularly male oriented, and example conversations are usually male-female and generally about when it's time to eat, and who's just eaten or watched TV.

I've been using the same book, good font to read for blind people like me. And I also use www.thai2English.com which I think is great.

But my very first spoken Thai was learnt from the back of the lonely planet guide. I started on the plane on my first trip to Thailand. I was so naive, it was my first time out of Europe. I didn't have a clue of how much English the Thais could speak or understand so I hurried and managed to memorise quite a few sentences by the time I landed.

As soon as I arrived I was sent to teach in little schools in the middle of nowhere where I learnt heaps from students and teachers. Students are the best teachers in my opinion. Especially those who think it's so difficult to learn a language that they don't even try.

I've been learning to read and write by myself but that's the hardest part as I don't have such good memory for symbols and I don't have a teacher though I'd love to have the time to sit down with somebody and try to learnt pvoppppper Thai..

hrm i have to admit my thai is pathetic considering the number of years i have been here. but also, i rarely am in a situation where i really need to speak anything other than basic thai. as it is not useful anywhere outside of thailand, and i don't plan to do business or marry into a family here, i have been lazy about learning it. i am thinking of taking a course though while i am in BKK. something to do.

I've also been using the same (I'm putting together a vocabulary for myself of the top useful words). But then I read over on the Thai language forum that there are many mistakes. Sigh. I'm waiting for a response to my query on what to use instead.

Students are the best teachers in my opinion. Especially those who think it's so difficult to learn a language that they don't even try. ...

I envy you. In a lot of ways my shyness has isolated me. I'm trying to come up with something that'll work but it'll take awhile. And that's why I created this post. I just know there is a better way for me to learn Thai. I'll find it even if I have to create it myself by cobbling together this and that.

I've been learning to read and write by myself but that's the hardest part as I don't have such good memory for symbols and I don't have a teacher though I'd love to have the time to sit down with somebody and try to learnt pvoppppper Thai...

Have you looked into the fast way of learning the alphabet? I know it says 60 minutes but it was a lot more for me. I don't really mind as it's the only way I've been able to learn to read Thai and have it stick. I'm still slooooooooooow, but after two weeks I felt I was flying.

hrm i have to admit my thai is pathetic considering the number of years i have been here. but also, i rarely am in a situation where i really need to speak anything other than basic thai. as it is not useful anywhere outside of thailand, and i don't plan to do business or marry into a family here, i have been lazy about learning it. i am thinking of taking a course though while i am in BKK. something to do.

I'm not in a situation where I need to speak Thai to survive here. It's just that I really want to learn ONE language other than English (well). And as I plan on staying here for the rest of my life, seems the perfect thing to do.

The Thais are so sweet and generous when it comes to learning their language so I don't have a single excuse as far as that goes.

I just need to check out all the options, then focus on what works for me.

I've never taken a class here... seems that every time I'm about to sign up for one, something happens in Thailand that makes me consider leaving and I never sign up. Now I'm thinking that signing up for a class is bad luck, so I don't. I'm hardly fluent but I'm okay in many conversations.

But, I find that speaking Thai with foreigners that are fluent or Thais that have struggled to learn English is really useful and I try not to tune out when friends are speaking Thai to each other. A few places that I've lived on the outskirts of Bangkok did not have English street signs, so I learned to sight read a bit and know some of the alphabet from that. (The smart traffic signs in Bangkok are also a good way to pick up some reading skills too.) Watching movies (that you've already seen) in Thai can also be a fun way to learn a few things.

The hardest thing is pronunciation and few people really know how to teach that. Most foreigners I know learned it because they had to because they lived in remote places that did not have many English speakers. Maybe make a few trips out to the provinces with a dictionary and see what happens.

I also learned from that book by Bengawan Becker, "Thai for Beginners". A lady who worked for a Thai company in my country taught me 3 times a week, 90 minutes per time. I learned Thai in 6 weeks before moving to Thailand to live with my Thai husband. I still talked English to him back then as 6 weeks didn't help me.

Fortunately (or unfortunately :o ) my sister in law talks nonstop so after about 2 years, I could talk and argue in Thai :D . Sometimes I chit chat with the lady next door about daily life, how she lives, how people look down on her for being poor.... I understand almost everything when I watch tv. I've been living here since Feb 2004. My reading and writing are very bad.

I become lazy and don't learn now since I think I "already" know Thai LOL (people say the more you study, the more stupid you feel you are).

I'm also thinking that living in a non English speaking area has its benefits.

I'm not in that position ... although I could make it happen with a little bit of research.

Thanks. It's certainly something to think about. ... I wonder if there are any week or weekend programs set up where someone can live with a Thai family on and off? An official program ...

Alaina,

You have a great way to learn written Thai by reading the street signs. By the way, in Phitsanulok, there's one in Thai then the second line in English which reads "Sanambin" :o . It should read "Airport" instead. Poor those foreigners knowing no Thai.

On Channel 3 previously from 7pm, I watched the "Keen keaw klang jai" and "Me krua khon mai" and understood everything. They then changed the broadcast time so I don't watch any more.

Most foreigners I know learned it because they had to

Necessity is the best thing to drive you, before I became filthy rich like the rest of you I scraped by out here on next to nothing, I knew learning Thai was the only way I could afford to do it :o

I used the fundamentals of thai langauge for ages & was getting on really well but have stopped again but it is a very easy to follow academic book which is thankfully minus the saddo "you are so cute" phrases that more commercial learning bokos are geared towards. It's pretty hard to get hold of now, usually amazon or ebay is the best bet but some 2nd hand bookshops might have a copy. I have a link to the e-version but not on this computor, if you can't find it by google then I will post the link tomorrow from the other one.

Fortunately (or unfortunately :o ) my sister in law talks nonstop so after about 2 years, I could talk and argue in Thai :D .

Hah! That'd do it for me too :D

Necessity is a big part in the drive to learn a new language. I just need to put myself into some sort of position is all.

I used the fundamentals of thai langauge for ages & was getting on really well but have stopped again but it is a very easy to follow academic book which is thankfully minus the saddo "you are so cute" phrases that more commercial learning bokos are geared towards. It's pretty hard to get hold of now, usually amazon or ebay is the best bet but some 2nd hand bookshops might have a copy. I have a link to the e-version but not on this computor, if you can't find it by google then I will post the link tomorrow from the other one.

Thanks Boo. I googled and came up with the amazon.com version (whooh, $89.89) as well as a PC version for sale (here). But then I came up with this one (html). Is it the one you mentioned?

that's the one, I have the link via a learning thai site but looks like the same content. Can seem a bit stuffy but for no nonesense learning it is perfect (well it was for me!)

Children are really the best ones to get you started. I was thrown in the deep end, no Thai, living among Thai people, few of whom spoke much english at all. I got tired of relying on my husband to help me out, and being a husband, he is a poor teacher anyway :o (besides, he's a terrible mumbler :D)

So, my 4 year old nephew and my sister-in-law next door became my teachers. I listened to her helping her son speak Thai (mom's are amazingly clear with their kids). So, my tones are excellent, my accent impeccable, my grammar a little odd and my vocabulary limited to everyday conversation. However, if I applied myself, found a decent teacher and had some spare time, I am sure my Thai would be much better. :D

I can't emphasize enough that the only real way to learn to speak Thai in a way comprehensible to Thai people is to listen to them speak, and try to put yourself in situations where you speak more than just ordering food. Watching TV is helpful, after awhile you do start to pick up words and phrases.

that's the one, I have the link via a learning thai site but looks like the same content. Can seem a bit stuffy but for no nonesense learning it is perfect (well it was for me!)

I'd be interested in getting the download link as compared to using it online. That way, I can easily print it out.

Edited by desi

So, my 4 year old nephew and my sister-in-law next door became my teachers. I listened to her helping her son speak Thai (mom's are amazingly clear with their kids). So, my tones are excellent, my accent impeccable, my grammar a little odd and my vocabulary limited to everyday conversation. However, if I applied myself, found a decent teacher and had some spare time, I am sure my Thai would be much better.

Amazing you were able to learn Thai without any sort of study books. I'm not sure I could pull it off and be successful.

But I will start watching Thai tv (I tried before but wandered off). There's supposed to be an English-Thai learning program on around 5 or so each day. If it's still on, I'll start there.

At the moment, the way my life is set up I don't listen to real live Thai speakers (unless it's the maid jabbering into her mobile at 90 miles an hour). I'll have to make some changes and get my shy butt out there.

Edited by desi

I learned Thai in the beginning by teaching Thai monks in Bkk and laterally chatting to a Transvestite waitress in a restaurant on the river near Wat Mahatat where I taught. Tdon nee, tee angrit, chan poot passa thai nid deeow... pra man sam krang nai took sabda na kha...

Hi Desi,

Of all the resources I've tried over the years, I made the most progress learning Thai taking quasi immersion lessions at a Thai language school in Bangkok. The classes were 4 hours a day, and I studied for 4 months, starting in their level 2 and continued through level 5. During that period, I learned how to read and write Thai at a basic level.

Once I was able to read some the learning process really accelerated. Learning to read cleaned up my pronounciation and use of tones immensely. Even now when I'm not "officially" studying, I can practice Thai by reading signs, menus, and some magazine articles.

The school I went to is called Union Language School on Surawong Rd in Bangkok, and the program they use was first designed to help missionaries learn Thai quickly. I heard some of the teachers from Union have set up a competing school using Union's materials at Times Square on Suk Soi 12. If you have the time for a program like this, I think it would make a huge difference.

I wish I could have continued on past level 5, but unfortunately my schedule didn't allow it.

Cheers, Misty

Since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of women in the Thai Language section, I thought I'd ask here.

Before moving to Thailand I started purchasing Thai language books. Due to work and life, I haven't spent much time learning the language. But now my life has finally settled, it's time. Yeah, it took more than a few hiccups, but here I go. Here I am, again.

No surprise, but a chunk of the Thai language courses are geared towards men.

Slogging through a multitude of discussions between western men and Thai women can be wearing.

An additional problem, trying to read tiny Thai is tiring.

Bottom line, if I'm going to spend my time learning a language I'd rather concentrate on sentences I'll actually use. In sentences I can actually read (I'm not brilliant, but I do know most of the alphabet).

So my questions are...

2) There are a number of lasses here married to Thais ... did you learn mostly from your husbands and your new Thai family?

3) Do you recommend any one course over the others?

Right now I have a new Thai teacher (she's rather good actually). We are presently going through the AUA Language Centre course but I'm starting to kick up a fuss. The majority is male and it's become rather tedious.

I'm not going to enter into a barber shop. And I'm not going to spend a lot of time telling Thai women how cute they are (even if they are).

And if I have to say CRAP one more time ...

What I'd really love is a Thai course written for expat women. I've contacted a handful of the going concerns but it doesn't seem to be a priority. And face it, the market for expat men is huge out here. The market for expat women, not so much.

In a crazy moment I even bought a domain name to blog about the subject. To you know, point expat women to worthwhile learning materials and all? But, I'm not even sure there's enough information out there to post once a week even. I did find a boatload of Thai lessons for the love you long time crowd though ...

So, what are your personal experiences with learning the Thai language? Hit and miss? Slogging through? Won't bother? Or are you one of those lucky linguists who can learn a language just by breathing?

BTW - I'm interested in joining an all female Thai conversation group (in Bangkok) if any one is up for it. It'd be fun to practice chatting in Thai about boyfriends and men in general, where to buy this and that, what's going on back home, what's going on in Thailand, the best places for expat women to go in Thailand, etc.

I so agree that kids are the best teachers, and learning in a school environment is a great way too- you get so many basic phrases (in proper Bangkok Thai which is good if you are living in the south). Sit down, stand up, paper, pencil, rubber, all the colours, all the shapes etc. Brilliant way to start, however there is a limit with how far you go with 4 years olds!

Then I would also have to agree that having the (right) partner is a great. My first boyfriend was rubbish at teaching me Thai, he said he wanted to learn english but secretly I think he was scared of me grasping what he was talking about with his mates. My boyfriend now though is excellent. He really forces me to speak and listen to it.

I also have Thai for beginners and I think it's great - also because I have the dictionary that goes with it and it uses the same transliteration. I have loved learning to read thai and agree that it is better to start doing this right at the beginning.

But god after a year of being here I sometimes despair at how much I know. I can barely understand anything on the news which depresses me a lot! But I can make myself understood in any basic situation which helps.

The school I went to is called Union Language School on Surawong Rd in Bangkok, and the program they use was first designed to help missionaries learn Thai quickly. I heard some of the teachers from Union have set up a competing school using Union's materials at Times Square on Suk Soi 12. If you have the time for a program like this, I think it would make a huge difference.

Thanks Misty. I'm not religious but maybe that's a good way to learn Thai without bar chat.

I googled and came up with schools using the Union curriculum:

Unity Thai Language School

TLA School

Advance Alliance Academy Thai Language Center

But from past experience, I really should buy their course books to see what's on offer.

I so agree that kids are the best teachers .... having the (right) partner is a great. ... Thai for beginners .... the dictionary that goes with it and it uses the same transliteration.

But god after a year of being here I sometimes despair at how much I know. I can barely understand anything on the news which depresses me a lot! But I can make myself understood in any basic situation which helps.

No Thai kids, no Thai partner ... but I do have the book, and the dictionary is around here somewhere :o

My Thai teacher will be here today around 1(ish) so I'm seriously thinking of switching over to the Thai for Beginners lessons just for now. It'll drive her crazy, but, oh well ...

I can always get around the small type by typing out what's too small, then printing out a larger version (and I won't bother with the English). It'll take time but my Thai typing will only get better, so no prob.

I'm also not happy with what I've learned so far (which is less than you've learned as I chicken out when speaking). But I also know I haven't given it the time it needs so can't fuss too much. Now, if I spend a ton of time and I'm still lousy in six months ... oh my ...

I'm not sure the OP meant only women can reply. In all honesty, I learn Thai from women only.

Well, the intention is to get experiences from expat women learning Thai.

That's why it hasn't been kicked out of the Ladies in Thailand forum and into the Learning Thai forum (I'm hoping) :o