Tax Number

KhaoNiaw

Talking to our financial people yesterday to find out why this year's tax rebate check is taking so long, they told me that they'd had problems with my tax ID number this year. They weren't able to submit using the online system, and were told that my tax number (127*******) should be for a Thai. A foreigner's number should start with 9.

This is the same number I've had for about 15 years, they've used the online system in previous years, and we've never heard this before. Now our office are saying maybe I should cancel this number and get a new one, but I don't really want to do this unless really necessary.

So, I'm interested to know about others. Does your tax number begin with 9, or is this just a total red herring?

Mine starts with 1-462 and have had it for 15 years. I did have problems with the on-line system this year but was due to a required change in password. Whoever generated the initial application for on-line screwed up my birthday and no combination would work to allow me to submit for a new password. Have to start the on-line application from new. :o

Mine starts with 1-462 and have had it for 15 years. I did have problems with the on-line system this year but was due to a required change in password. Whoever generated the initial application for on-line screwed up my birthday and no combination would work to allow me to submit for a new password. Have to start the on-line application from new. :o

My number is off my Till/Payment Receipt. The more I think about this , the more the situation points towards,. Province, Tax District's and whatever else? I could be correct or I could be incorrect. Anyone else thought on those lines please?

I did get a little white CARD, off the school,which is not with me at this present time. sent towards the end of the school year, and we had to pay it almost immediately, the same day, even. Lucky for me the Tax office was almost right opposite the school .

Talking to our financial people yesterday to find out why this year's tax rebate check is taking so long, they told me that they'd had problems with my tax ID number this year. They weren't able to submit using the online system, and were told that my tax number (127*******) should be for a Thai. A foreigner's number should start with 9.

This is the same number I've had for about 15 years, they've used the online system in previous years, and we've never heard this before. Now our office are saying maybe I should cancel this number and get a new one, but I don't really want to do this unless really necessary.

So, I'm interested to know about others. Does your tax number begin with 9, or is this just a total red herring?

I no longer have the URL, but.....

I have a widow friend (deceased farang husband) living in BKK, never lived in the US, so she only has a TIN starting with a 9 and no SSN. Her daughter, US citizen, was at college applying for scholarship funds and the application kept bouncing because the college system thought it was an invalid number. I did some on line research and finally found the SS admin website that explained in detail all the SSNs and what numbers in what position are use/not used. As I remember, the site said all TINs start with a 9.

I have been helping her with her taxes for the last 5 years and saw their records for joint filing for years before that, and her TIN 9XX-XX-XXXX was always there and accepted without question.

Her husband always filed by mail and I have her do so, also. I haven't even looked at e-filing so I must admit I know nothing about e-filing with only a TIN.

SUMMARY: I recommend you google/search the SSN admin site starting at http://www.ssa.gov/ and I think you can find your answer.