Obtaining A Thai Passport

Hi to all,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. You may or not know that I am currently waiting for a visa for my stepdaughter. Anyhow I also have a nearlly 2 year old daughter who was born in the uk and has a british passport. We have been here a month, and was hoping to have the visa for my stepdaughter squared away by now, but havent. So this means that my wife and my daughter will wait untill they have a desicion on my stepdaughters visa as she is living back with us here. Now I will have to go home for work commitments, but this leaves my daughter her on a overstay. This would not bother me, I have done many a trip to the border in previous years, but my wife is not to keen in taking our youngest on a visa run. So I was wondering how easy it would be to obtain a thai passport for her, but bairing in mind that all here original documents ie birth certificate ect are in our stepdaughters visa application. Or can she be written onto the tabian bahn and be classed as a thai citizen? I am not sure which route to go down, Now obviously I am hoping thon Monday we get a call from the British Embassy saying come and collect your visa and we all return home happilly ever after together. But i need a back up plan!! Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Bang...............

children under 14 have overstay waiver, so when your wife exits thailand with her she will just be stamped out without a problem.

It would be worth though, once back in UK, to make an appointment with the thai embassy & make her a thai passport for future visits as you must present birth certs & both parents must be present to get it.

Yep, waiver is valid until 14 years of age, she will get an overstay stamp (I beleive but not 100% on that) but your wife wont be liable to pay any fine.

When your wife finally exits thailand she must just advise the immigration people at passport control that the baby has overstay but they will just process her passport without a fine.

here is a link to a phukette gazette articale where immigration cheif makes ref to it;

http://www.bangkokbob.net/visa.htm

“Many international schools in Thailand help parents prepare applications for permits to stay,” Capt Krissarat said, adding that children under 14 years old are not fined for overstay.

-- Phuket Gazette 28.04.2007