Retirement Visa And Work Permit

2008 represents my 3rd extension on my retirement visa but now I also want to provide some voluntary/community service work.

I have been informed (maybe incorrectly) that to provide this service I will need a work permit - even though there is no paid services being offerred.

If this is correct then how do I maintain my existing retirement visa extensions whilst holding a work permit - the two items seem to be in conflict.

The actual community service project I want to establish here in Isaan, is a sporting organisation for children - any members from Australia maybe familiar with the "little athletics"concept that has a philospohy based on participation, fun, family, fitness with the real focus being on an individual's own personal improvements rather than winning and champions.

Following discussions with many schools in my area (Si Sa Ket), I know this "little athletics"concept can be a real winner here.

As I now have the time, expertise, experience and enthusiasm to set up this project, I am simply enquiring if any other member has faced this situation re retirement visa and comminity service work and what the possible solutuions may be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I do not want to put my retirement visa arrangements in any jeopardy and although I am happily married to a Thai lady I do not want to change to a marriage visa in order to facilitate a work permit (if this is required).

At least in the Bangkok area work permits seem to be available again for those on retirement extensions of stay so it is best to contact your local labor office and find out if they are available there. You can always return to retirement so not sure, unless it is the 40k income factor, why a family extension would not work if required.

Indeed you will need a workpermit. Volunteer work in itself can even be a reason to get a non-immigrant visa. However you will need a letter from a registered charity or something, like a government school or the local tesabaan stating you do volunteer work. There are also some other requirements, like a workschedule, etc. Best is to contact the local labour office for what documents they will need. I volunteer myself and my local labour office has always been very cooperative.

Main thing is that you can not start a project on your own and get a WP. Make use of an organization or the local school, hospital or teesabaan, who is wiiling to support you.

At least in the Bangkok area work permits seem to be available again for those on retirement extensions of stay so it is best to contact your local labor office and find out if they are available there. You can always return to retirement so not sure, unless it is the 40k income factor, why a family extension would not work if required.

I assume from your reply Lopburi that having a work permit together with a retirement visa does not constitute a problem. That really was my question. An extension on a retirement visa to me was clearly indicating to the Thai Immigration Police that I was no longer working (and paying taxes) in Thailand whereas the general idea of a Thai work permit was the complete opposite. Obviously there must be different categories of work permits. In my case it would constitute a voluntary type WP and I will check with the local labour office. TIT