Bicycles In Bkk

girlx

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent push bike? I have bought one before in BKK, somewhere near China Town, but I can't remember where! Also are there rules for bicyclists? That might be a joke.... I basically just want to get from my new apartment to the BTS without having to take a moto taxi all the time...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent push bike? I have bought one before in BKK, somewhere near China Town, but I can't remember where! Also are there rules for bicyclists? That might be a joke.... I basically just want to get from my new apartment to the BTS without having to take a moto taxi all the time...

Hi,

Probike do mainly new Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. there is another new shop owned by a Venezuelan in Tantawan Plaza - attached to Chitlom BTS walkway - 2nd floor at the back. Sells another type of new bike (forgot name) and maybe a second hand one too. If you want to take it onto the BTS, that's fine but I recommend a folding bike for that esp in the rush hours - much better than trying to take a full sized one on board. The MRT will also take folding bikes only, so they are well worth having and there are several good solid ones available new or 2nd hand. There is a second hand shop in Chinatown does folding and others. Msg me if you need more info.

Probike do mainly new Trek and Gary Fisher bikes. there is another new shop owned by a Venezuelan in Tantawan Plaza - attached to Chitlom BTS walkway - 2nd floor at the back. Sells another type of new bike (forgot name) and maybe a second hand one too. If you want to take it onto the BTS, that's fine but I recommend a folding bike for that esp in the rush hours - much better than trying to take a full sized one on board. The MRT will also take folding bikes only, so they are well worth having and there are several good solid ones available new or 2nd hand. There is a second hand shop in Chinatown does folding and others. Msg me if you need more info.

They sell Giants. Good MTB.

They also sell small belt driven folding bike from U.K. You can fold it to a size small enough you can easily carry it onto BTS.

hmm i don't really want a folding bike, i figured i would just lock my bike outside the BTS station- is that a bad idea?

thanks for all the tips...

Depends... but if you're taking BTS for commute to work I'd rather get a folding bike, hop on BTS and take it to work with me than to have to chain lock the bike and leave it at BTS station all day worrying about theft/vandalism, unless the bike parking is manned. But you certainly don't want to carry it with you in Paragon or MBK. Folding bike usually comes with smaller wheels than conventional bikes, so it might be too uncomfortable if not unsafe to ride on Bangkok street depending on road conditin and distance.

I wouldn't ride an A-bike nick2k mentioned in Bangkok.

The folding bike Tyke said they sell at Tantawan Plaza (formerly Amarin Plaza at Sogo dept. store) is Strida. Similar to A-bike but comes with larger wheels.

http://www.strida.com/

hmm i don't really want a folding bike, i figured i would just lock my bike outside the BTS station- is that a bad idea?

thanks for all the tips...

I wouldn't leave a new bike unattended anywhere - with the rate of inflation as it is, it would be a prime target and bike thefts are on the rise in Thailand. A very old one wouldn't be a problem, as long as all loose parts incl wheels were locked securely.

Yeah I really am just buying it to go a few blocks down and back- don't need anything fancy. If anyone knows where to buy used bikes or what the name is of that area near Chinatown with the bike shops, let me know, thanks.

Yeah I really am just buying it to go a few blocks down and back- don't need anything fancy. If anyone knows where to buy used bikes or what the name is of that area near Chinatown with the bike shops, let me know, thanks.

Look at Thaivisa classifieds - the shop in Chinatown is a bit pricey but they ahve a good selection - the main shops are on Worachak Road in Chinatown - the 2nd hand shop I think is just off Worachak Road on Luang Road

Why is it such a big problem it takes several posts to tell someone where to get a cheap bike from.

Go to BIG C and you will be able to get yourself a bike for less than a 1000 baht. U only need to ride it a few blocks so it will be ok. If you dont know where a BIG C is near your area just jump in a taxi and he will take u there.

1000 baht basic bike, no fold up bike, no fancy, and no more motorbike taxis.

Why is it such a big problem it takes several posts to tell someone where to get a cheap bike from.

Go to BIG C and you will be able to get yourself a bike for less than a 1000 baht. U only need to ride it a few blocks so it will be ok. If you dont know where a BIG C is near your area just jump in a taxi and he will take u there.

1000 baht basic bike, no fold up bike, no fancy, and no more motorbike taxis.

Don't like it - too easy :-)

i've thought about doing this too, but can't find anywhere near the BTS where I could park a bicycle... where are u planning to lock it?

Hah! A great suggestion on how to extend this thread!

Right - if you buy a flashy brand new bike from Big C and leave it chained up outsuide a BTS station, it might have gone after being spied on for a few days - a strong lock is no defence in BKK and neither is a cost of a couple of thousand bahts - the new condition makes it eminently resaleable.

Enter folding bikes - easily taken on even crowded rush hour BTS (the full-size ones not so easy).

As an owner of a folding bike, I recommend a second hand well-known good brand (with the biggest wheels and lightest available and an easy folding mechanism is essential) - you will definitely get back what you paid for it after u have finished/tired of it. The shop in Chinatown is a good place, but there are adverts for folding bikes around but not many and they go quick. There is even a folding bike society in BKK.

yes, but there's just something seriously uncool about folding bikes. I think I'll have to wait 50 years before I ever get one of them - and by that time I think I'll be old enough to get away with driving an electric grandad-mobile so i can terrorise people on the pavement :o

yes, but there's just something seriously uncool about folding bikes. I think I'll have to wait 50 years before I ever get one of them - and by that time I think I'll be old enough to get away with driving an electric grandad-mobile so i can terrorise people on the pavement :o

Well, in Thailand bicycles full stop are seriously uncool. You should see the Thais laughing at me on mine, with all my protective gear on, especially the motorbike taxi drivers.

Cycle Sports--Merida dealer in Worachak st. Chinatown

Probike--Thannon Sarasin-Lumphini Park

behind the Indra Regent hotel is a very large bike shop, I forget the name

there is also a very big bike shop in Nonthaburi, google it

Go to BIG C and you will be able to get yourself a bike for less than a 1000 baht.

wrong! so many people told me this and i went to look- not a single bike for sale for 1000b. The aveage price was 2500b, and the one i wanted was 2800b. :o Same with Tesco Lotus.

are you sure about this? if so can you be more specific? i walked all around the Indra Regent Hotel yesterday and could not find a bike shop!

Go to BIG C and you will be able to get yourself a bike for less than a 1000 baht.

wrong! so many people told me this and i went to look- not a single bike for sale for 1000b. The aveage price was 2500b, and the one i wanted was 2800b. :o Same with Tesco Lotus.

You sound disappointed that the one you wanted was 2800Baht - US$84/£42. Just double that price and see if what you can get one from WallyWorld or Halfrauds. Your original post starts with "Does anyone know where I can buy a decent push bike?" I am not a big fan of supermarkets for bikes but if you just want it for I km or less from your apartment to the skytrain, if you are light enough and small enough then go for a single speed roadster - forget full suspension, gears and all that.

Someone mentioned folders - more expensive than normal bikes, more maintenance and some are swines to fold and are heavy. ProBike sell Dahons - 11500Baht to 23500Baht. I can't comment on the second hand market for them.

Well, in Thailand bicycles full stop are seriously uncool. You should see the Thais laughing at me on mine, with all my protective gear on, especially the motorbike taxi drivers.

Laughing at you or smiling at you? I normally do about 40/60 kms a day - more at the weekends and holidays and I've never been laughed at. I usually stop at motor cycle taxi stands for a rest and am always welcomed - if I have been on that circuit for a few days or just cycle past, they will normally ask why I am ignoring them!

if you are light enough and small enough then go for a single speed roadster

yeah that was what i looked at- one of those Crocodile bikes... i like them but they sure ain't no 1000b. i guess 2800 isn't too much to pay though.

are you sure about this? if so can you be more specific? i walked all around the Indra Regent Hotel yesterday and could not find a bike shop!

I am in China currently but will be back next week and send you the correct address if you still need it. If you google LA Bikes dealers, you can see the address, unfortunately for me it's in Thai.

hmm i can't read thai either but thanks wink.gif

..just copy and paste the address into www.thai2english.com

by they way, my friend bought a cheap mountain bike with gears, etc in Tesco Lotus for 1,500 baht last year.

hmm i can't read thai either but thanks wink.gif

..just copy and paste the address into www.thai2english.com

by they way, my friend bought a cheap mountain bike with gears, etc in Tesco Lotus for 1,500 baht last year.

I don't much Thai either. Looks like the first 4 on the list is in Bangkok,

http://www.la-bicycle.com/service_shop/bra...icycle_shop.php

The contact us address is in English, and is not locate in Bangkok. :o

huh. went back to big C today and there were a couple crappy mountain bikes for 1300b. and the crocodile bikes had raised in price by 500 baht in the past week! i guess prices vary a lot there.