Evaluate My Photo

draggons

Nigh landscape with moon. Very difficult shots. I never tried this one before. You already got the gears you need. :o You could try this to improve this shots.

Option :

1. Using filters - gradual ND might help

2. Using dodge and burn ( not phoshop, I would recomend this technique ). A little hard to understand trough explanation. But i will try.

meaning of dodge and burn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodging_and_burning )

Dodging and burning are terms used in photography for a technique used during the printing process to manipulate the exposure of a selected area(s) on a photographic print, deviating from the rest of the image's exposure. Dodging decreases the exposure for areas of the print that the photographer wishes to be lighter, while burning increases the exposure to areas of the print that he or she wishes to be darker.

Technique

By using completely opaque material as a cover over the preferred area for dodging or burning, absolutely no light will pass through and as a result, an outline of the material may be visible on the print. One way to prevent obvious cover-up lines is to slightly shake the burning material over the covered area while it is being exposed. Another way to prevent obvious cover-up lines is to use slightly less opaque material closer to the outline to produce a more subtle, faded effect.

Short explaination

Use some black cards to cover the hi-light area of the photos during the shutter open and exposed it in the last few sec for a proper exposure.

Example

Shutter 30sec, cover the area for 15-20sec ( means the area did't get any exposure for the early 15-20sec, it will only get exposure after the 15-20sec ). Means the hi-light area only been exposed for 15sec or 10 sec depends on the condition.

Hope you understand. :D

Cheers

Matt

2. Using dodge and burn ( not phoshop, I would recomend this technique ). A little hard to understand trough explanation. But i will try.

Dodging and burning are terms used in photography for a technique used during the printing process to manipulate the exposure of a selected area(s) on a photographic print, deviating from the rest of the image's exposure. Dodging decreases the exposure for areas of the print that the photographer wishes to be lighter, while burning increases the exposure to areas of the print that he or she wishes to be darker.

Technique

By using completely opaque material as a cover over the preferred area for dodging or burning, absolutely no light will pass through and as a result, an outline of the material may be visible on the print. One way to prevent obvious cover-up lines is to slightly shake the burning material over the covered area while it is being exposed. Another way to prevent obvious cover-up lines is to use slightly less opaque material closer to the outline to produce a more subtle, faded effect.

This technique is for when you are printing in a wet darkroom! I don't think it's relevant to this shot!

You could have improved the shot by allowing the shadows more light. Holding back during the exposure is one way, another way is to bracket by (say) +/- 2 stops and either blend the images together or go down the HDR route.

Conversely, Photoshop can help - Here's a quick and rough example of using the levels and curves actions in Photoshop to lift the shadows.

Good attempt though

Technique

This technique is for when you are printing in a wet darkroom! I don't think it's relevant to this shot!

You could have improved the shot by allowing the shadows more light. Holding back during the exposure is one way, another way is to bracket by (say) +/- 2 stops and either blend the images together or go down the HDR route.

Conversely, Photoshop can help - Here's a quick and rough example of using the levels and curves actions in Photoshop to lift the shadows.

Good attempt though

no, you and actually do this not in dark room.. :o doing it right when the photo is still processing.. :D

_DSC0063copy.jpg

This photo i only do photoshop on the B&W. Shots with D50 long exposure on tripod. I cover the two towers with my 2 fingers for around 12sec count manualy and i remove my fingers for around 6sec exposure of the tower same to the water reflection so that the lighted area is not too over exposed... :D

Matt

Edited by MadArt

I like this lightened version!

I'm not a pro or even a serious amateur like you guys- but the horizon in this picture doesn't look level to my eye. (Not so noticable in the original picture... maybe it is an illusion caused by the balcony railing?) I'd check this in Photoshop and rotate the image a degree or two to make it level, then crop it to re-square it up.

Crooked horizons just drive me nuts- see it all the time in ads!

I agree, lets keep it simple. I think I know enough about photoshop to say that it can bring out the photo that people may want. I would simple use it to reduce the brightness of the moon and the reflection in the water. I guess my eyes are getting tired and would desaturate the photo a bit and make the railing a little darker.

I suspect this is one of those great photos where 20 people would put their own finishing touch on it.

Its really beautiful, I can almost feel the cool breeze and hear the water dripping off the right side of the uneven picture.

Posted as taken. Nikon D70s, Sigma 10-20 @20mm f5.6, 30s

Nice photo "draggons". :D I like it as it is, with a touch of correcting the sea, but having said that you should see some of my photos, totally list-ing (sideways tilt :D )

and as for the "lightened version" does not work for me, too bright and missing the whole point of this photo, the Moonlight and the reflection on the water that drags me into this picture toward the horizon. The front part is now a distraction and the lights in the distance are way over blown. :D Sorry.

The "Original Photo" is for my eyes, as mentioned a very nice photo.

Thank you "draggons" for posting it. :o

Kan Win