Help! Retirement Visa Uncertainties

My partner and I came to Thailand on a tourist visa which runs out in a couple of weeks (after doing the 30 day extension). We are British, and as my partner is over 50, our long term plan is to get a retirement visa for him. I understand he must have a Non Immigrant visa to be able to apply for this.

I have several queries in relation to the process:

1. I have been told we would be able to get a non-imm Type O visa in Vientiane, if we are married (which we plan to do shortly). Is this correct?

2. Does anyone know if we would be fairly certain of getting a Type O if we went to Australia?

3. I have been told that if my partner applies for a retirement visa, I can apply for a visa as a 'follower' which would also be for a year, and that I would just be able to go down to the Immigration office every 90 days to say I'm still here. This, I feel fairly unsure of, and wondered whether I would still have to do the visa runs.

4. For the 800K Bahts required in the bank for 3 months, is this OK to be a joint account, or does it need to be in my partner's name only? Also, I assume you apply for the retirement visa in Thailand itself?

Any help would be most appreciated, as visas seem to be a bit of a moving target!

If your husband is 50 he can apply for a non-immigrant visa. If you want to come with him as dependent you would need to be married. (You could also do that in Thailand of course).

He would first get a 3 month visa, which he can extend at an immigration office in Thailand to one year, and after that every year again with one year. Same goes for yourself, as dependent.

The visa you can apply for in Vientiane.

Regarding point 3.Every foreigner living in Thailand has to report his address to immigration every 90 days. That means you and your husband. But you don't have to go in person, you can also do it by mail. it doesn't mean you have to do visa runs.

As for the 800,000 I expect it need to be in the account of your future husband. He is the one who applies for a visa based on retirement and needs to meet all requirements for that.

My partner and I came to Thailand on a tourist visa which runs out in a couple of weeks (after doing the 30 day extension). We are British, and as my partner is over 50, our long term plan is to get a retirement visa for him. I understand he must have a Non Immigrant visa to be able to apply for this.

I have several queries in relation to the process:

1. I have been told we would be able to get a non-imm Type O visa in Vientiane, if we are married (which we plan to do shortly). Is this correct?

2. Does anyone know if we would be fairly certain of getting a Type O if we went to Australia?

3. I have been told that if my partner applies for a retirement visa, I can apply for a visa as a 'follower' which would also be for a year, and that I would just be able to go down to the Immigration office every 90 days to say I'm still here. This, I feel fairly unsure of, and wondered whether I would still have to do the visa runs.

4. For the 800K Bahts required in the bank for 3 months, is this OK to be a joint account, or does it need to be in my partner's name only? Also, I assume you apply for the retirement visa in Thailand itself?

Any help would be most appreciated, as visas seem to be a bit of a moving target!

He could have upgraded his tourist Visa at Immigration in Thailand to a Non O if he had more than 21 days remaining on it.

He could have then applied for the year extension based on retirement.

As his Visa is now nearly expired he can do a border run and come back with a 30 day stamp. He can then get it changed to a Non O visa at Immigration in Thailand. Fee 2,000 Baht. Or if he wishes he can go to any neighboring Consulate and get a tourist Visa and upgrade that OR a Non O Visa and save the upgrade fee. A couple of weeks before that expires he can apply for the retirement extension . Fee 1,900 Baht.

Make sure he gets the 800,000 in the bank 3 months before he applies.

A joint account will not be accepted unless you have 16,000 Baht in it.

If you were married you could get the same extension as him as his dependent with no need for the bank money.

As said . Have to report address every 90 days to Immigration.

Edited by Lite Beer

1. If you are under 50 it is unlikely Vientiane would issue you a non immigrant visa but you seem to have the cart before the horse in any case - you need the money in a bank account for 3 months before you can apply for extension of stay (which a visa entry will not provide time for). Once married and have has extension of stay it is likely a non immigrant O could be issued for you so that you could join.

2. Yes but he need month in account and for you a marriage certificate so unless you prefer to live on multi entry non immigrant 90 day stays for a period it might not be cost effective.

3. You could obtain a non immigrant O visa and extend to match his each year. Normal 90 day address reports would be required but no border runs.

4. Money must be in applicant account, for the previous three months. If a joint account it would have to be at 1,600,000 level. It is done at Immigration office inside Thailand during last 30 days of any 90 day entry or before last 21 days of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry (extra 2,000 baht for change to non immigrant visa in that case).

Thank you to everyone for the advice. This is what I think we need to do, but would be grateful if anyone can see a flaw to let me know:

We both get tourist visas (probably go to Laos, as I understand it's well worth a visit). Get married, and get the 800K in Thai bank.

Then upgrade the tourist visas to Non-imm O visas in Thailand. (I am presuming I would not be able to get the upgrade to O, until we have married). Do this >21days before the tourist visa expires. But does the 21 day rule apply for the 30 day extension, or must it be done under the first 60 day visa?

In the last 30 days of O visa, apply for an extension to one year, my 'husband' :o as retiree, and myself :D as a follower.

Wish I'd known you could upgrade a tourist visa, I'd just never heard of it.

Thanks!

You apply with more than 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp so it could be during the 30 day extension.

The applicant for extension of stay on the basis of retirement, section 7.21. can change/obtain non immigrant visa in country from Immigration. I believe the person using section 7.19 to obtain a matching extension of stay may have to obtain visa from a Consulate using marriage certificate/copy of passport with one year extension of stay for spouse. Am not sure on that so you should check with immigration if nobody has experience to pass on.

You apply with more than 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp so it could be during the 30 day extension.

The applicant for extension of stay on the basis of retirement, section 7.21. can change/obtain non immigrant visa in country from Immigration. I believe the person using section 7.19 to obtain a matching extension of stay may have to obtain visa from a Consulate using marriage certificate/copy of passport with one year extension of stay for spouse. Am not sure on that so you should check with immigration if nobody has experience to pass on.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place Lopburi, but I have a question about re-entry permits on a retirement visa. I have a multiple entry OA Retirement visa in its first year, (i.e. not extended yet). Do I need to obtain a re-entry permit for a trip to England returning to Thailand before the permission to stay date is reached? Thanks.

Permission to stay is not the date you are concerned with - the visa use before date is. So if your return is sure to be before you one year visa expiration date you do not want a re-entry permit and on your return you will get a new one year stamp from that date (return date). Only after the validity of your multi entry visa do you require the re-entry permit for a new entry - and that will be to the date indicated on the re-entry permit (current permitted to stay date).

If your husband is 50 he can apply for a non-immigrant visa. If you want to come with him as dependent you would need to be married. (You could also do that in Thailand of course).

He would first get a 3 month visa, which he can extend at an immigration office in Thailand to one year, and after that every year again with one year. Same goes for yourself, as dependent.

Regarding point 3.Every foreigner living in Thailand has to report his address to immigration every 90 days. That means you and your husband. But you don't have to go in person, you can also do it by mail. it doesn't mean you have to do visa runs.

As for the 800,000 I expect it need to be in the account of your future husband. He is the one who applies for a visa based on retirement and needs to meet all requirements for that.

Not exactly. I have been living here since 1993 on 1 year renewable visas & I have NEVER gone to Suan Plu more than once per year. The authorities have never insisted I do it.

Not exactly. I have been living here since 1993 on 1 year renewable visas & I have NEVER gone to Suan Plu more than once per year. The authorities have never insisted I do it.

Well maybe you are not in the system but when they find out you will have to come up with a good story as to why you have not been. It is a 90 day reporting. you think the 100,000 doing it are all wrong and you are a special case???

Suggest you check it out.

Permission to stay is not the date you are concerned with - the visa use before date is. So if your return is sure to be before you one year visa expiration date you do not want a re-entry permit and on your return you will get a new one year stamp from that date (return date). Only after the validity of your multi entry visa do you require the re-entry permit for a new entry - and that will be to the date indicated on the re-entry permit (current permitted to stay date).

OK. My visa was issued 1 Aug 2007 and use before date is 31 Jul 2008. My permission to stay date is 26 Oct 2008. I leave Thailand for the UK on 4 Oct 2008 and return to Thailand 18 Oct 2008. Now I have two more questions:

1) Do I have to apply for extension of stay (TM7) with financial statements etc by 31 Jul 2008? (I was under the impression that returning before 26 Oct 2008 would get me a year's automatic extension of stay on arrival at the airport)

2) Am I right in thinking now that I do in fact need a re-entry permit with my travel plans as outlined?

You should consider leaving Thailand for a few minutes before the 31st of July - that will get you a new stamp until July 2009. Once that is done obtain a re-entry permit prior to your October travel and that will allow you entry on return to the new July 2009 date.

1. You must return before the visa expiration date - July 31 2008. You will not.

2. A re-entry permit is required - but if you do not make and exit/return before July 31st you will only be allowed to return until October 26.

You should consider leaving Thailand for a few minutes before the 31st of July - that will get you a new stamp until July 2009. Once that is done obtain a re-entry permit prior to your October travel and that will allow you entry on return to the new July 2009 date.

1. You must return before the visa expiration date - July 31 2008. You will not.

2. A re-entry permit is required - but if you do not make and exit/return before July 31st you will only be allowed to return until October 26.

So what you are saying is that if I leave Thailand briefly before 31 July 2008 I won't need to worry about TM7 until July 2009, otherwise I'll have to submit a TM7 July 2008. Have I got that right?

Half right - no TM.7 extension of stay until July 2009 if you use another entry before July 31 2008. But you would not need to submit a TM.7 in July 2008 in any case as you presently are stamped until October. As you plan to leave on October 4 you would have to do before then.

Half right - no TM.7 extension of stay until July 2009 if you use another entry before July 31 2008. But you would not need to submit a TM.7 in July 2008 in any case as you presently are stamped until October. As you plan to leave on October 4 you would have to do before then.

My God I'm glad you're here! Thanks for your speedy replies and patience with questions I know you must have answered a million times. :o

My original plan was to try and get the TM7 sorted out between return to Thailand on 18 Oct and expiry of permission to stay on 26 Oct. You recommend dealing with it before departure on 4 Oct. Is then my original plan cutting it a bit fine in your eyes?

It would work but why not make a border run and obtain an extra year stay before you need to file the TM.7? There is always the chance of a delay when you are traveling. The cost will be the border run (2,000 baht from Bangkok) and a 1,000 baht re-entry permit for your October travel and you would be set until July 2009.

It would work but why not make a border run and obtain an extra year stay before you need to file the TM.7? There is always the chance of a delay when you are traveling. The cost will be the border run (2,000 baht from Bangkok) and a 1,000 baht re-entry permit for your October travel and you would be set until July 2009.

Sold! I just set up a trip for mid July to Nong Khai where my partner's family is, aiming to hop over to Laos. Out of interest what are the details of the 2000 Baht border run you mention?

• 3 weeks later...

I am English age 61 with a multiple entry OA retirement visa expiring end of July 2008. I live in Bangkok.

I have booked a visa run to Nong Khai/Laos for 17/18 July, planning to exit Thailand and return on the same day. My understanding is that my visa will be extended for a year from the date of re-entry.

My neighbour has just arrived with horror stories of how he was given the wrong re-entry stamp when he tried to do something similar on his retirement visa coming back from Hong Kong.

Can I be confident that Nong Khai Thai Immigration will get it right on my re-entry, and how can I recognise that I have been given the right stamp?

You enter your visa information on the arrival card and before you leave the desk check that it is for one year entry. They will have to set a special date stamp to July 17, 2009 for your new permitted to stay until stamp.

Any travel you do after this will require that you obtain a re-entry permit to keep that July 17, 2009 date alive.

Be very sure you have a retirement OA visa and not a multi entry O visa as they are not the same. Perhaps your friend had the latter and got the normal 90 day stay?

You enter your visa information on the arrival card and before you leave the desk check that it is for one year entry. They will have to set a special date stamp to July 17, 2009 for your new permitted to stay until stamp.

Any travel you do after this will require that you obtain a re-entry permit to keep that July 17, 2009 date alive.

Be very sure you have a retirement OA visa and not a multi entry O visa as they are not the same. Perhaps your friend had the latter and got the normal 90 day stay?

I've just seen his passport and you are right, I have OA and he has O. Thanks again.

I've just seen his passport and you are right, I have OA and he has O. Thanks again.

Another thought has just struck me. If I wasn't doing this border run I would be due to report to Immigration with a TM47 (90 day reporting) on 25 July. Do I still have to submit a TM47 on 25 July or does the 90 day reset itself to 90 days from the date of my re-entry to Thailand from Laos?

Next question: How long is a multiple re-entry permit valid for?

At least I only have to ask these questions once (hopefully!)

Until the end of your current permission to stay extension.

Edited by Lite Beer

There are no visa provisions for "followers".

To obtain an extension of stay you will need to be married to your partner.

Hello Astral

Is the upgrade of the visa from tourist to Non Immigrant O classed as an extension to stay? Will I have a problem upgrading my visa once we are married (under 50, and from UK)? Do I fill in the TM7 form, and will we need to have the cash in the bank for the upgrade, or 3 months prior to applying for the retirement for hubbie?

I am concerned, as I have read on another website recently, that a foreign wife under 50 cannot get a visa which would avoid the necessity for border runs every 3 months. Any further advice much appreciated!

Edited by jajabinz

You must have a non immigrant visa to obtain an extension of stay. So not, conversion from a tourist visa is not an extension of stay.

If you marry a Thai man you can obtain a non immigrant visa and extend your stay on a yearly basis for the 1,900 baht fee for TM.7 form. Believe you can also convert to the non immigrant visa at Immigration if you have the required 21 days remaining on your entry stamp - if not you can easily obtain from a nearby Consulate using marriage certificate/husband ID card/home register copies.

What you read seems to be wrong or you misunderstood. There is no age restrictions on marriage extensions of stay.

You must have a non immigrant visa to obtain an extension of stay. So not, conversion from a tourist visa is not an extension of stay.

If you marry a Thai man you can obtain a non immigrant visa and extend your stay on a yearly basis for the 1,900 baht fee for TM.7 form. Believe you can also convert to the non immigrant visa at Immigration if you have the required 21 days remaining on your entry stamp - if not you can easily obtain from a nearby Consulate using marriage certificate/husband ID card/home register copies.

What you read seems to be wrong or you misunderstood. There is no age restrictions on marriage extensions of stay.

Sorry Lopburi but,

She is planning on marrying a British Man. Who is over 50.

He can upgrade his Tourist Visa to a Non O Visa or get the Non O from Vientienne, and then get the years extension based on retirement. Once his 800,000 has been in the bank for 3 months.

After she marries him she can do the same, as his dependent without the need for the for any further bank deposit.

They would both need to report their address to Immigration every 90 days. And repeat the extension process every year

This thread went off on a tangent a bit so a bit confusing.

Edited by Lite Beer