Is It Worth Buying A Car In Bkk

ozsamurai

I am well aware that it really depends on my own situation as to whether a car purchase is advisable or not. I just wanted to get the forums experience here, running costs etc.

I find myself spending on average about 150-200 a day on taxis to get here and there, I have a motorbike for short trips. Since I will be here for the long term, do you think that it is wise for someone in BKK to own a car? I can fully understand if I was in a regional area it would be a benefit. What are the costs for running them here?? Any advise??

It depends.

The average car running on benzene runs for about 4 baht per kilometer but if you can get a car that comes preinstalled with an LPG kit the running cost will jump down to around less than two baht per kilometer. You should also think about parking depending on where you are going to go and consider the mental strain that the traffic will put on you.

I am well aware that it really depends on my own situation as to whether a car purchase is advisable or not. I just wanted to get the forums experience here, running costs etc.

I find myself spending on average about 150-200 a day on taxis to get here and there, I have a motorbike for short trips. Since I will be here for the long term, do you think that it is wise for someone in BKK to own a car? I can fully understand if I was in a regional area it would be a benefit. What are the costs for running them here?? Any advise??

I have a new car but hardly ever use it as I don't work - in any case I prefer on principle and practice to use public transport esp BTS. Other times I try to use a bicycle which can be taken on the BTS and MRT (if foldable). What I am trying to say is that there may be alternatives to taxis and cars, both of which are problematic and expensive, but I am sure you are aware of them (boat, buses etc). But I should imagine 200 baht a day over the long term is actually cheaper and less harrowing than buying and using a car in BKK.

Rates are going up on taxis too.. when I look at the traffic in this city from my 18th floor apartment , I think to myself - why the hel_l would anyone drive in this city? I have learned bus routes to all my spots. Oh yes you'll need to deal with police bribes.

I have a new car but hardly ever use it as I don't work - in any case I prefer on principle and practice to use public transport esp BTS. Other times I try to use a bicycle which can be taken on the BTS and MRT (if foldable). What I am trying to say is that there may be alternatives to taxis and cars, both of which are problematic and expensive, but I am sure you are aware of them (boat, buses etc). But I should imagine 200 baht a day over the long term is actually cheaper and less harrowing than buying and using a car in BKK.

Rates are going up on taxis too.. when I look at the traffic in this city from my 18th floor apartment , I think to myself - why the hel_l would anyone drive in this city? I have learned bus routes to all my spots. Oh yes you'll need to deal with police bribes.

When are rates going up and to how much?

How regular will you have to deal with police bribes? And how do they work - do the police make up spurious reasons, or do they just hold their hand out and go "500 baht, chief".

Edited by Super Hans

What a good question.

If you are a single man who does not have tons of cash to burn, I would say a definite NO.

If you have kids or money is no object then go right ahead.

As you yourself have stated, there are tons of options to owning your own car including cheap taxis, the BTS, the MRT, the canal boats, buses, motorbike taxis, your own motorbike and renting a car if necessary for out of town trips.

I don't see the reason to sit there in the traffic with the dummies burning cash, taking hours to get anywhere and stressing yourself out.

I have the cash to buy a car tomorrow, but provided I live in Bangkok I will never buy one. It simply does not make sense.

So to summarise, I'm a NO vote.

This is the kind of valued experience I appreciate, thanks all for contributing. You have basically confirmed what I felt was the case. Money is not the problem although it is a factor, even the rich don't waste it... or so I'm told :o I think until TGF and I have a baby to deal with we will not get one.

The background is that I have bought a car in every country I have been for the past few years, one in Japan one in Australia and I still have them... can't get them over here. I do enjoy playing with cars though. I realized the other day I have bought and sold 44cars in my 20yr driving history, and most of the time they just burn money for you. I feel a bit naked without one to be honest.

I don’t think a car as personal transport is ever a wise economic choice when compared the public transport, especially when in a city such as Bangkok public transport is so readily available.

However, personally the decision own and use my own car involved far more reasons than simple economics. Here are some of my reasons....

Against:

• Higher Cost of running (fuel, cleaning, servicing etc)

• Initial cost of outlay (paying the high price for a car in the first place).

• Difficulty of parking (compared to simply getting off the BTS or out of a taxi).

• For some, the extra stress of driving (this doesn’t bother me).

• Lack of flexibility with a car (if the traffic is too bad and we are late, if we are driving we can’t jump out and catch the BTS or a mototaxi).

• Its easy to get lost when driving yourself.

• Risk of getting stung for a minor traffic offence by police.

For:

• I have my own comfortable car (much nicer than a taxi).

• Comfort again, some taxi’s simply can’t drive – its accelerate hard break hard, that tiring and irritating.

• I don’t have to worry about getting in a taxi and sitting in spilt som tam or grease etc (although in fairness this has not happened often).

• I have the Air-con at my levels.

• Better State of Mind: With my own car I can go anywhere anytime I want outside of Bangkok. Even if I don’t leave Bangkok. I have this option which relieves some of the mental pressures a city can sometimes apply.

• Ease to get to Sporting locations (i.e. golf etc) without having to lug around equipment by hand.

• Ease of leaving sporting venues without having to phone for and wait for taxi’s that may or may not turn up.

• I have the ‘You like thai woman’ / ‘You like Beckham, Owen’ / ‘You want I take you boom boom sexy lady’ conversation a lot less when I use my own car (this really wears thin after a few years otherwise ! – so does the driver opening of the door and hacking on the street)

• I drive myself, at my own speeds at my own safety.

• My car has seat belts taxis don’t (in the back, they do in the front and if alone at night when I’m not driving ‘cos I’m drinking, I sit in the front and have the seat belt).

• Motorbike taxi’s are lethal. If I’m in the car in bad traffic, I’m not tempted to get out and get a mototaxi.

• Listen to my own music.

• Getting to and from grocery shopping with out having to call for a taxi with a hand full of shopping, or wait in ques.

• Now I know the best way to get from A-B at that specific time of day. Sometimes some roads are busier than others and rarely taxis think ahead and consider this and end up taking the most direct route which gets me into traffic. In my car I go the way I think is best and don’t have to persuade a reluctant driver that going down route A is better than route B (this wears thin after a few times). Even though they are a taxi driver, I am in my area all the time, I drive and know the roads, traffic conditions and shortcuts better.

Comments:

• Some might think driving yourself is risky for getting stopped by police or having and accident and taking the blame. In my experience (2 accidents and numerous traffic stops) I’ve always been dealt with fairly and as equally as a Thai would.

• Getting lost initially soon turns into getting to know the city very well.

• Driving sensibly, I believe my driving is far safer than the majority of road users and therefore I am far safer than a private driver would be.

• There are no special secrets to driving in Thailand other than always be alert because not many of the other cars are, don’t make sudden lane changes.

• I use taxi’s - only when drinking. Any other time I am far happier, more comfortable and relaxed in my own car... Its freedom.

How regular will you have to deal with police bribes? And how do they work - do the police make up spurious reasons, or do they just hold their hand out and go "500 baht, chief".

If the windows aren't blacked out than fairly often, otherwise provided you don't pull off too many dodgy manouvers around police boxes there isn't to much to worry about. Pattaya is a different matter alltogether tho. :o

once yu know your way around the traffic really is not that bad, there are milloions of small streets which make great short cuts.

but you will get stuck if you dicide to drive about during rush hour traffic on a friday. its always best to leave a bit later or earlier to beat the traffic and I am lucky that my work times are not 9-5.

police bribes are nothing to worry about, I have been stopped 4 times in two years. twice for speeding and twice for being in the wrong lane so all times it was my fault but got off easy with 200 Baht fines/bribes.

now, heres the thing. it costs me about 8000 Baht per month for fuel, its a 2 liter so might use more or less than the car your looking at. plus extra baht for keeping it clean, tollways, parking fees and so on. and then you have the finance every month.

so if you can afford a car and you will use it why not get one.

if you can get by with taxis or BTS you will save loads of money though.

just my thoughts........... :o

If the windows aren't blacked out than fairly often, otherwise provided you don't pull off too many dodgy manouvers around police boxes there isn't to much to worry about. Pattaya is a different matter alltogether tho. :o

funny, I've been driving here since 1997, and have been pulled over twice. Both times, my fault. Got a ticket and was on my way.

The trick is to obey the law. Simple stuff, don't run an orange light, indicate, turn at intersectoins from designated lanes. Wear a seatbelt.

If a copper does try it on, and you have clearly done nothing wrong, then they are out for a day-long take and aren't specifcally targeting you. Play dumb, waste their time and they'll soon wave you on as you are preventing them from catching more gullable drivers.

I've been here 5 years and although I own a car I very seldom use it in Bangkok. I have always found it better to use public transport rather than fight the traffic and then spend time looking for a parking place and paying parking fees. As someone else mentioned you have other options besides a taxi. I use taxi's or air con buses when going around the city but most places I seem to frequent are located within walking distance of BTS or MRT station.

If you do take trips out of Bangkok then I think it is great to have your own wheels.

I've had a car most of the 3 years I've lived in Bangkok. For a time I drove to work - Ari / Saphan Khwai to Wireless Road but the past two years for commuting I take BTS. Mornings aren't so bad to drive but at the end of the day I'm tired and like the quicker ride on BTS to stuck in traffic.

I looked at the economics of owning versus renting for the times I want a car for a weekend trip and it seemed better to rent. But in the end I like being able to have the choice when I want to get into my car and go some place inside or outside Bangkok. I've done a lot of travel around Thailand, and up to Laos in my car and enjoy that. Around Bangkok on the weekends the traffic isn't so bad and I'll use my car to go shopping and doing things.

I also have a motorbike which is great for around the neighborhood trips.

For me I like having a car and the flexibility - I just pick the mode of transport that's best for the situation.

I've had a car most of the 3 years I've lived in Bangkok. For a time I drove to work - Ari / Saphan Khwai to Wireless Road but the past two years for commuting I take BTS. Mornings aren't so bad to drive but at the end of the day I'm tired and like the quicker ride on BTS to stuck in traffic.

I looked at the economics of owning versus renting for the times I want a car for a weekend trip and it seemed better to rent. But in the end I like being able to have the choice when I want to get into my car and go some place inside or outside Bangkok. I've done a lot of travel around Thailand, and up to Laos in my car and enjoy that. Around Bangkok on the weekends the traffic isn't so bad and I'll use my car to go shopping and doing things.

I also have a motorbike which is great for around the neighborhood trips.

For me I like having a car and the flexibility - I just pick the mode of transport that's best for the situation.

Valjean,

you took your car to Laos? So what is involved in the paperwork and what is it like driving in Laos?

Defiantly get a car, it gives you the freedom to do lots of stuff you otherwise wouldn't do. The traffic is not that bad if you know where to avoid and the police don't pose a problem if you follow the rules (I get pulled over about once a year). The only downside is the extra cost, but if you convert to LPG then it's pretty cheap driving. I couldn't live without mine now. Obviously if you live next to the BTS and you want to go somewhere next to the BTS then take the BTS, but why limit yourself to these small areas of Bangkok when there is so many other places to go?

Defiantly get a car, it gives you the freedom to do lots of stuff you otherwise wouldn't do. The traffic is not that bad if you know where to avoid and the police don't pose a problem if you follow the rules (I get pulled over about once a year). The only downside is the extra cost, but if you convert to LPG then it's pretty cheap driving. I couldn't live without mine now. Obviously if you live next to the BTS and you want to go somewhere next to the BTS then take the BTS, but why limit yourself to these small areas of Bangkok when there is so many other places to go?

Only on the weekends do I kinda wish I had a car to go golfing. Most of the Thais in my office own one to go to and from work.

If the idea of sitting in traffic from 6am to 8am to get to work and from 6-30 - 830pm going home is attractive enough for you to buy a car then do it. I guess I would get used to a lifestyle with a car in it, but the fact remains if I wanna go have a beer after work today, I walk out of my office (drink as many as I want) and not have to worry about driving home drunk.

Additionally, for me, I would rather be sitting at home by 7pm and eating dinner while looking out of my condo at the thousands of you obviously smarter people than me sitting in traffic gaining face.

From a business point of view, bts + / taxi is much more efficient because of traffic / parking / and other dickheads on the road.

For those times (like a long weekend) that I want to run upcountry or to Hua Hin, I just rent one from Avis / Budget at quite reasonable rates.

Traffic is not that bad unless you try and drive down Sukhumvit at rush hour etc.. Please remember that the majority of Bangkok is not accessible by Skytrain or MRT, which leaves taxis. Taxis tend to go the wrong way, drive badly, try and sell you stuff and be inconveniently full when you need one. A car gives you the freedom to go and do whatever you like, when you like. You can easily travel to places most people don't bother taking a taxi to (don't know the area and whats there etc..) People that think otherwise either simply can't afford a car or never visit any of Bangkok outside of the small farang areas easily accessible by public transport.

Edited by madjbs

you took your car to Laos? So what is involved in the paperwork and what is it like driving in Laos?

All of the paper work can be done at the border.

I had one potential issue when I didn't have the paperwork from the company I was financing the car with giving me permission to take the car out of Thailand. It was Sunday and the Thai border official said I needed to wait until Monday and have the form faxed. For about 20 min. I kept talking with him, about how I wanted to go to Laos *today* and giving him big smiles. I was trying to communicate "how much do I have to pay to deal with this?" but in the end he gave me a big smile, took my paperwork, gave me the stamp and sent me on the way without a baht changing hands...

At the Laos side there was lots of paperwork and when I thought it was all done we got in my car and drove into Laos. A few KM down the road a car comes alongside us and flagged us down. We weren't finished and had to go back. There is some paperwork you can get here that I think makes it much simpler at the border. It wasn't so bad, just took about an hour.

Once in Laos we drove everywhere all the way to about 30 KM from China. Wonderful. You can read at my web site: derekbrn.typepad.com/bangkok/travelogue/page/3/ or google "derekbrn laos road trip"

Traffic is not that bad unless you try and drive down Sukhumvit at rush hour etc.. Please remember that the majority of Bangkok is not accessible by Skytrain or MRT, which leaves taxis. Taxis tend to go the wrong way, drive badly, try and sell you stuff and be inconveniently full when you need one. A car gives you the freedom to go and do whatever you like, when you like. You can easily travel to places most people don't bother taking a taxi to (don't know the area and whats there etc..) People that think otherwise either simply can't afford a car or never visit any of Bangkok outside of the small farang areas easily accessible by public transport.

As a farang that can afford a car, I politely disagree on the basis that most TV members are farangs than don't live on daddy's housing estate near Don Muang, Thonburi or Bangna Trad.

I would also argue that a taxi gives you freedom to go when you want where you want without having to deal with the stress of driving, finding parking and police fines. Yes some taxi drivers are not fantastic, but the nice thing about Bangkok is we have millions of them at our beck and call. Virtually anytime of day I am no more than 30 seconds from a taxi picking me up when required.

But be my guest, go buy another car and become one of the sheep stuck trying to get on the expressway at 7pm on a Friday night so you can get home in time for your soap opera. From a financial point of view, 200 baht a day in taxi fares (while realitively expensive) is much much cheaper than your 15000 a month car/insurance/petrol payment to own something that does nothing but depreciate. Enjoy your commute tonight. Monday's are generally not as bad as other days in my opinion, at least that's what I have seen during my 20 min BTS ride home everynight. :o

If you live upcountry, perhaps you need a car, but in Bangkok???

As a farang that can afford a car, I politely disagree on the basis that most TV members are farangs than don't live on daddy's housing estate near Don Muang, Thonburi or Bangna Trad.

I would also argue that a taxi gives you freedom to go when you want where you want without having to deal with the stress of driving, finding parking and police fines. Yes some taxi drivers are not fantastic, but the nice thing about Bangkok is we have millions of them at our beck and call. Virtually anytime of day I am no more than 30 seconds from a taxi picking me up when required.

But be my guest, go buy another car and become one of the sheep stuck trying to get on the expressway at 7pm on a Friday night so you can get home in time for your soap opera. From a financial point of view, 200 baht a day in taxi fares (while realitively expensive) is much much cheaper than your 15000 a month car/insurance/petrol payment to own something that does nothing but depreciate. Enjoy your commute tonight. Monday's are generally not as bad as other days in my opinion, at least that's what I have seen during my 20 min BTS ride home everynight. :o

If you live upcountry, perhaps you need a car, but in Bangkok???

I’ll be the first to admit that having a car in Bangkok is more luxury than necessity. And the economics by my calculation for rent versus own for the out of Bangkok points to rent. However….

I think it was mentioned above that when you have family and kids cars are nice. First off you’ve got the car seat which a cab doesn’t. You have all the kids crap to be carried around. Say you want to take their bike to the park. And times when they fall asleep you can just let them sleep some and wake up slow when you get to where you are.

In my job I have to go around Bangkok, sometimes to out of the way places. I really don’t mind driving in Bangkok and I do find I get to my destination more relaxed – as counter intuitive as that may seem. More comfortable, my music, the little things in the car such as water, lotion, sunglasses, etc. It’s a place where I can leave my coat and tie in the morning on the way to work but have it when I get to the destination. The ability to have members of the team come along with me.

I also have relatives in Bangkok who live down past Bang Na out to the end of some road that you don’t see a lot of taxis. I guess I could get them to give me a ride to where there are some but it’s nice to go door to door without transit changes.

I also own a house and a car is nice for picking up big plants and other oversized household things. (I have an SUV)

We have dogs that like to go for a ride and it makes them happy. That’s important! :D

Overall sure I could live without a car in Bangkok but I like having it parked there in front of the house next to the motorbike which I love AND the chopper my wife bought that we don’t need next to her car which I sure as heck wish she’d sell. Enough is enough! There is too much of a good thing. But one car I’m happy to have.

As a farang that can afford a car, I politely disagree on the basis that most TV members are farangs than don't live on daddy's housing estate near Don Muang, Thonburi or Bangna Trad......

You "politely disagree" but you seem to have a bit of an attitude about it. I think you will find there are large numbers of farangs living outside of central Bangkok by the way. Driving might be stressful if you are not very good at it but my experience is the same as Valjean's, I feel nice and relaxed while driving as I have the freedom to drive around as slow or as fast as I like, EXACTLY where I like without having to explain to a taxi driver.

The traffic is not as bad as you try to make out, which is no surprise as you obviously don't have a car, so you wouldn't know anyway. I rarely end up getting stuck in traffic as all the busy roads can be avoided, again you wouldn't know this if you just stick to the BTS and MRT routes.

As has been mentioned, on the outskirts of Bangkok it is not always easy to pick up a taxi willing to go where you want, it can also be a challenge finding a driver to go out of central BKK who knows the way.

As for cost, I spend 2000 a month on LPG and about 1500 a year on tax and insurance, hardly expensive is it, even when you include about 10,000 a year on repairs?

Personally I go out of Bangkok on trips every weekend and often carry larger items in my car during the week. Yeahh I am sure a taxi would be much better....

Oh and I already said that if you live near the BTS or MRT and only ever go and have no desire to go anywhere other than places along their roues then there is no need to buy a car. However, if you would like to explore and see more of Bangkok and surrounding areas, then getting a car makes it easier, more relaxing and more fun.

Oh and I already said that if you live near the BTS or MRT and only ever go and have no desire to go anywhere other than places along their roues then there is no need to buy a car. However, if you would like to explore and see more of Bangkok and surrounding areas, then getting a car makes it easier, more relaxing and more fun.

Anything else to add? Did you leave something in the trunk of your car that maybe you could throw into to the debate while you sit behind the wheel tonight. I get up at 730 and am in my office at 830. I will be home at 6pm. You will get home at what time? Send me an sms in the morning while you are stuck in traffic ok, so I know what time to put the coffee on.

Enjoy your car. I will enjoy my extra time. Did I see something where you said I had a bit of an attitude? Obviously if you had gotten out of your car on the way to eat your Japanese food at paragon on saturday, you would have seen me (attitude in place) laughing my arse off at you getting your car dinged by my taxi driver.

Sorry when I replied to your points I didn't realise you were a retard who is unable to have a sensible discussion. As for all the crap you just wrote about Japanese food and such. :o:D

Guess the moderators dont mind if we get personal here. Must have touched a nerve I guess, perhaps my comments were a little too close to home.

I won't go down the name calling alley because your name calling 'retard' has hurt my feelings and I realize that you are in fact as smart as you seem.

Forgive me for thinking otherwise. I will never question your intelligence level again. Anyone that owns a car has to be much smarter than me. Btw, I will still be home by 6pm if I leave now. Will you? The defense rests.

Guess the moderators dont mind if we get personal here.
Obviously if you had gotten out of your car on the way to eat your Japanese food at paragon on saturday, you would have seen me (attitude in place) laughing my arse off at you getting your car dinged by my taxi driver.

hmm :o

Must have touched a nerve I guess, perhaps my comments were a little too close to home.

Nope, no nerves touched, you are just useless at discussing anything and result to writing the rubbish seen above instead

I will still be home by 6pm if I leave now. Will you? The defense rests.

Takes less than 10 minutes for me to get home thanks.

I love having a car here. I survived two years without one but really missed it. Last year, I took the plunge.

Economically it's not a great decision (as someone has pointed out already). But, dammit, I'm 43 and I work hard. I DESERVE a car. The 'soft' benefits of having freedom to go where I want when I want (particularly at weekends) far outweighs the negatives.

Exactly Bendix, but now that you have revealed your preference for a car, we can all see your "inferior intelligence levels" compared to the intelliegent people who use the public transport system. :o

Edited by madjbs