Insurance Broker

waveydavey

• 2 weeks later...

I was recommended AIG for car insurance. Maybe not the cheapest, but I was told they do pay up if need be. Luckily I haven't had to test this yet! Their office is on Sripoom Road after you pass Chang Puak Gate.

I was recommended AIG for car insurance. Maybe not the cheapest, but I was told they do pay up if need be. Luckily I haven't had to test this yet! Their office is on Sripoom Road after you pass Chang Puak Gate.

I have used E Insure Thailand but they are in Pattaya for family health cover. I found them very good and helpful when we had a member of the family go into hospital. The guy speaks English and has various different insurance companies that he deals with.

I have used E Insure Thailand but they are in Pattaya for family health cover. I found them very good and helpful when we had a member of the family go into hospital. The guy speaks English and has various different insurance companies that he deals with.

Thanks Buzzer. I've seen E Insure recommended before. I emailed them for a quote 2 weeks ago but I haven't had a reply so I dont know whats going on with them.

I've been meaning to post a recommendation to my broker for a while now.

They have a shop front on Sriproom Road by soi 3 (that's the inside of the northern side of the moat about 30 metres beyond the big video rental store - Ref GK/106.5 for anyone with a copy of the Chiang Mai Big Map) and the owner and his assistant speak excellent English. They are agents for all sorts of companies (AIG, AIA, BUPA, QBE and more) and were within a couple of hundred baht of the best quotes I had from others. I have my car and bike insured through them and they have so far given an excellent service including going to get my car tax renewed even when I can't see that they make any money out of it. BTW they keep office hours which don't include Sunday.

It seems to me that having someone local to handle things if I have to make aq claim is well worth the little extra I paid. I have the feeling this guy would turn out in the middle of the night if needs be but I'm hoping I never have to put it to the test.

67/3 Sriproom Road

T. Chang Puak

A. Muang

CM 50200

Tel: 053 357 949

They have a shop front on Sriproom Road by soi 3 (that's the inside of the northern side of the moat about 30 metres beyond the big video rental store - Ref GK/106.5 for anyone with a copy of the Chiang Mai Big Map) and the owner and his assistant speak excellent English. They are agents for all sorts of companies (AIG, AIA, BUPA, QBE and more) and were within a couple of hundred baht of the best quotes I had from others. I have my car and bike insured through them and they have so far given an excellent service including going to get my car tax renewed even when I can't see that they make any money out of it. BTW they keep office hours which don't include Sunday.

It seems to me that having someone local to handle things if I have to make aq claim is well worth the little extra I paid. I have the feeling this guy would turn out in the middle of the night if needs be but I'm hoping I never have to put it to the test.

67/3 Sriproom Road

T. Chang Puak

A. Muang

CM 50200

Thanks Greenside, sounds like just the sort of place I'm looking for :o

67/3 Sriproom Road

T. Chang Puak

A. Muang

CM 50200

Hi, New user here, in the midst of Retirement Visa application for my wife & I here in Perth Australia, have emailed AXA,E-Insure & others attempting to get costs of Health cover in Pattaya I am 63 , wife 60 , suggestions appreciated. Or estimate of costs

67/3 Sriproom Road

T. Chang Puak

A. Muang

CM 50200

Hi, New user here, in the midst of Retirement Visa application for my wife & I here in Perth Australia, have emailed AXA,E-Insure & others attempting to get costs of Health cover in Pattaya I am 63 , wife 60 , suggestions appreciated. Or estimate of costs

This is simple, as a member you can use the full facilities of Thai Visa Insurance - a fully licensed Broker and able to offer quotations form all insurance companies - not just the individual insurance companies or insurance agents posters have mentioned.

Please go to :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

• 11 months later...

I recently bought a new car in Chiang Mai from CM Toyota. Before the purchase, I researched Car Insurance quite thoroughly. I certainly recommend going through an Insurance Broker as a Broker can assist in many ways in the event of an accident, and, with submitting a Claim. In addition, Brokers are working within the Insurance and Car Repair Industries, which would be quite helpful if a Claim or Repairs didn't seem to be proceeding in the way expected.

I used Waytid Boonyuen at 67/3 Sriproom Road, T. Chiang Mai, A. Muang, CM 50000

Speaking very good English and most helpful, he was able to advice various insurance options. However, as it turned out, the Toyota Dealer included free first class insurance in their deal. So on this occasion Waytid advised me to simply take Toyota’s offer, and, to consider using him next year when I need to buy insurance.

He asked me to leave a photo-copy of my current policy with him, and that he would provide me with any assistance should I be involved in an accident during that first year. I certainty believe that he would be there to help should that event arise, as he was so helpful, even after advising me to take Toyota’s free insurance offer. In any case, I will report again should I be involved in an accident, with a summary of my experiences in dealing with Claims and Repairs.

The shop-front is located on Sriproon Road – that in the inner-most road of the northern mote of the Old City – it is easy to find – right next to Soi 3 with a blue Bupa Insurance agents sign outside.

I recently bought a new car in Chiang Mai from CM Toyota. Before the purchase, I researched Car Insurance quite thoroughly. I certainly recommend going through an Insurance Broker as a Broker can assist in many ways in the event of an accident, and, with submitting a Claim. In addition, Brokers are working within the Insurance and Car Repair Industries, which would be quite helpful if a Claim or Repairs didn't seem to be proceeding in the way expected.

I used Waytid Boonyuen at 67/3 Sriproom Road, T. Chiang Mai, A. Muang, CM 50000

Speaking very good English and most helpful, he was able to advice various insurance options. However, as it turned out, the Toyota Dealer included free first class insurance in their deal. So on this occasion Waytid advised me to simply take Toyota's offer, and, to consider using him next year when I need to buy insurance.

He asked me to leave a photo-copy of my current policy with him, and that he would provide me with any assistance should I be involved in an accident during that first year. I certainty believe that he would be there to help should that event arise, as he was so helpful, even after advising me to take Toyota's free insurance offer. In any case, I will report again should I be involved in an accident, with a summary of my experiences in dealing with Claims and Repairs.

The shop-front is located on Sriproon Road – that in the inner-most road of the northern mote of the Old City – it is easy to find – right next to Soi 3 with a blue Bupa Insurance agents sign outside.

A few points this post raises :

There is no such thing as a 'free lunch' and the so called 'free insurance' is a misnomer – you pay for it !

The Broker should have asked what the policy cost i.e. what the Dealer would have lowered the total purchase price if one did not take the 'free insurance'. For that amount a good Broker would have been able to source either a company who would offer the same premium but higher benefits or the same benefits but lower premium.

Another (very) important point is to check the insurance company which is being offered by the Dealer. Be careful here as there are times when the company in question does not offer good back up service i.e. for its claims service, does not have a 24/7 English speaking help line etc.

Thai Visa concurs that using a Broker is the only sensible way to go, but with all things in life, there are Brokers and there are Brokers :)

• 4 weeks later...

I concur with Thai Visa Car Insurance about 'no such thing as a free lunch'. I bought my car new from the dealer. It just so happened that this model was only capable of accepting Petrol and E20 gasohol, hence got it at a fair price but NO FREE insurance which is what car dealers love to entice you with.

Anyway, a few minutes later,dealer is on the phone to Axa and we agree on a price of somewhere around 15 K fully comp. One year later, need to re-insure the car so go back to my car dealer who gets on the phone to AXA and quotes me 18k fully comp...but yes, I had made a claim that year.

I decided to call AXA myself ...what a surprise! Quoted me just slightly over 14k! ( Agent and Insurance Co. have own little scams going on)

So folks, moral of the story is : It saves in the long run to shop around!

I'll get off my soap box now.

• 1 year later...

67/3 Sriproom Road

T. Chang Puak

A. Muang

CM 50200

Hi greenside,

Just noticed your post above.

Do you know, please, whether this agent also does house insurance?

Thanks

Scorecard

Always use the sponsor - Thai Visa Brokers. You know who they are, have checked and sometimes cheaper than going direct PLUS you have their help should things go wrong ! Stupid to go direct to a company.

PS They recommended AXA for our truck

#15 Always use the sponsor - Thai Visa Broker... Stupid to go direct to a company. Another unsolicited non-biased opinion from this poster I am sure ... are you the ghost of BW?

Personally I would say it makes a big difference in using or not using broker when you are talking about property and automobile coverage -- when it is you and your broker against the insurance carrier -- versus medical coverage where the hospital insurance department is your ally -- once the hospital staff has determined your need for coverage -- in representing your interests and might work with the insurer a hundred times per day ... in that case the broker involvement might at times only complicate the issue.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...

in that case the broker involvement might at times only complicate the issue.

In the 3 occasions I have been to hospital, I would say the broker is most benefical, the broker assisted at claim time and resolved all the issues quickly.

In the 3 occasions I have been to hospital, I would say the broker is most beneficial, the broker assisted at claim time and resolved all the issues quickly.

Spoken like a true Broker... in my 2 hospital admissions there was no need for assistance at claim time and no issues that needed to be resolved because the Hospital insurance staff and the insurer worked out all essential details before my admissions.

In the 3 occasions I have been to hospital, I would say the broker is most beneficial, the broker assisted at claim time and resolved all the issues quickly.

Spoken like a true Broker... in my 2 hospital admissions there was no need for assistance at claim time and no issues that needed to be resolved because the Hospital insurance staff and the insurer worked out all essential details before my admissions.

I am not a broker, I have used the Thaivisa broker by my own choice, the details were worked out and pre approved in all cases by the insurance companies at the 3 different hospitals, but all 3 hospitals went over what was agreed to without anyones approval.

Well if you are not a broker you sure know the talking points ... The post of mine that you quoted was my reply to the quote at #15 that it is Stupid to go direct to a company. I trust then that is not the kind of impartial opinion given of the services available with a direct to insurer engagement that you think helps the marketing of your sponsor.

Making allegations without any knowledge is not a good idea jazzbo. Suggest you back off your statement since it could be considered inflammatory and baiting as you don't actually have any knowledge whatsoever to support this kind of post.

OK here is my back-off statement: First off, I have previously communicated directly with Kuhn Bazmlb in saying that in fact most persons should use a broker for health insurance rather than contact a company directly... it takes time and some understanding of health insurance which I do possess having had assignments with the hospital reinsurance industry in Bermuda... It certainly does not cost any more to use a broker when purchasing insurance and you will have the added support at hospital admission and claim time if so required.

However the 'specialty' medical insurance companies based in Thailand including BUPA and ThaiHealth have invested significant time and financial resources in providing direct on-line and customer care services and I do not believe -- if it is one's preference -- that it is 'stupid' to make use of those services.

As to my suggestion that Kuhn Bazmlb is a broker that was only my unfounded supposition after reading the multiple posts he has made over the last several years as to the many reasons one should use a broker ... but he has never said that he is in fact a broker.

And indeed, he is not. So in making inflammatory and baiting suppositions you have put yourself at risk here. Not really a wise thing to do and one that would get you in trouble regardless of who you are posting about.

Additionally, you seem to be attributing some sort of modified quote here and one that you appear to be attributing to a member who has not said it.

In the future, I would highly recommend refraining from 1. putting words in others mouths and 2. making wild guesses as to others based on very limited knowledge. A word to the wise as it were.

OK here is my back-off statement: First off, I have previously communicated directly with Kuhn Bazmlb in saying that in fact most persons should use a broker for health insurance rather than contact a company directly... it takes time and some understanding of health insurance which I do possess having had assignments with the hospital reinsurance industry in Bermuda... It certainly does not cost any more to use a broker when purchasing insurance and you will have the added support at hospital admission and claim time if so required.

However the 'specialty' medical insurance companies based in Thailand including BUPA and ThaiHealth have invested significant time and financial resources in providing direct on-line and customer care services and I do not believe -- if it is one's preference -- that it is 'stupid' to make use of those services.

As to my suggestion that Kuhn Bazmlb is a broker that was only my unfounded supposition after reading the multiple posts he has made over the last several years as to the many reasons one should use a broker ... but he has never said that he is in fact a broker.

Hi Jazzbo,

Sorry to disagree with you on this; but you know where I am coming from. I think that it is very very foolish to purchase directly from an insurance company if you know a good agent or broker you can deal through. I see absolutely no logic in buying directly from the insurance company. Buying through a broker doesn't cost any more, as you have pointed out, and it provides additional back up support for you if you ever need it. And, I have known many people who have needed it. Even if you do purchase through a broker, you can still deal with the insurance company directly ,if the broker disappoints you. Or, you can change brokers. Insurance companies allow you to do this.

I know for a fact that health insurance companies here have a lot of difficulty finding competent English speaking staff to deal with expats. Also, there is the issue of Kreng Jai (arrrhghh!).

And finally, there is certainly no love affair going on between health insurers and medical care providers. Insurance companies are afraid of being overcharged and being asked to pay for unnecessary testing. Some of the major medical care providers for expats tend to view insurance companies as selfish and petty.

In regards tot Kuhn Bazmlb's support of brokers, it just may be that he has been right and you have been wrong, Jazzbo. Have a very Happy Thai New Year.

Kuhn DB -- You have your experiences and -- though not in the same quantity -- I have mine. In the USA when I needed to purchase health insurance myself I did it directly with United Healthcare and a had very satisfactory experience with inpatient surgery with their network provider... and I have had excellent communication with the BUPA reps on the phone, via email, and in-person... it is a matter of personal preference when such options are available.

The only billing discrepancy I had at check-out time after 8-days in-patient following surgery here in Thailand is that the insurer refused to pay the hospital for the cans of CocaCola I drank in my private room's mini bar.

Whether there is any love lost between insurer and provider here in Thailand makes little difference as it will be the same whether a broker is involved or not... and at least to my knowledge and despite substantial investments on their part the Health insurers in Thailand have never suggested that you use their direct services instead of a broker while the reverse is true maybe ad nauseum.

• 2 weeks later...

In respect to basic car and home insurance, I do not understand why consumers do not go direct. The reasons are quite simple;

1. In the event of a claim, it is the insurer that adjusts the claim. The local small broker does not have much say in the settlement. It is different if one is in a large value home or has a large value vehicle.

2. The auto insurers have direct claims telephone lines that operate 24/7. Claims can also be filed online. Check out the prospective insurers website for this information. The broker is not usually going to rush right out to your car crash, but the insurer appointed adjuster will.

3. Is the insurance salesman going to sit and go through the policy wording with you? You have to read the contract yourself and make sure you understand it. Some agents/brokers will help, but it has not been my experience.

4. The agent or broker for small policies serves as a sales and distribution facility as well as a premium collection point for the insurers. These facilities are not structured with service as their primary function.

5. Personal lines agents are compensated on commission and some really do earn their commissions. Those that earn the commission will have no problem in disclosing what it is. An agent that refuses to disclose the commission has something to hide. An agent that adds a fee on top of the included commission should be able to explain why. If you look at policy distribution in many parts of the world, these fees and commissions are declared. Some agents bump up their commissions and add it back to the policy, but do not disclose this to the consumer. Local agents also derive a significant part of their income from contingency income. This is an additional commission paid by the insurer based upon the agent's protfolio growth and profitability. If the claims ratio is low, then extra money is paid to the agent.

If you use an agent, then appreciate that the person is entitled to be paid for their time and services and that the extra fees charged may very well be justified. I'm in no way undermining the value of some agents. However, for the typical small policy and a sophisticated consumer, dispense with the middleman and deal direct with the insurer as the typical agent is not going to add value to the transaction..

In respect to basic car and home insurance, I do not understand why consumers do not go direct. The reasons are quite simple;

1. In the event of a claim, it is the insurer that adjusts the claim. The local small broker does not have much say in the settlement. It is different if one is in a large value home or has a large value vehicle.

2. The auto insurers have direct claims telephone lines that operate 24/7. Claims can also be filed online. Check out the prospective insurers website for this information. The broker is not usually going to rush right out to your car crash, but the insurer appointed adjuster will.

3. Is the insurance salesman going to sit and go through the policy wording with you? You have to read the contract yourself and make sure you understand it. Some agents/brokers will help, but it has not been my experience.

4. The agent or broker for small policies serves as a sales and distribution facility as well as a premium collection point for the insurers. These facilities are not structured with service as their primary function.

5. Personal lines agents are compensated on commission and some really do earn their commissions. Those that earn the commission will have no problem in disclosing what it is. An agent that refuses to disclose the commission has something to hide. An agent that adds a fee on top of the included commission should be able to explain why. If you look at policy distribution in many parts of the world, these fees and commissions are declared. Some agents bump up their commissions and add it back to the policy, but do not disclose this to the consumer. Local agents also derive a significant part of their income from contingency income. This is an additional commission paid by the insurer based upon the agent's protfolio growth and profitability. If the claims ratio is low, then extra money is paid to the agent.

If you use an agent, then appreciate that the person is entitled to be paid for their time and services and that the extra fees charged may very well be justified. I'm in no way undermining the value of some agents. However, for the typical small policy and a sophisticated consumer, dispense with the middleman and deal direct with the insurer as the typical agent is not going to add value to the transaction..

axa same price on car insurance direct as AA insurance. broker has more clout than me alone against AXA, his dicount or commision covers his cost, like i say i went to both and same price direct or through AA insurance. only difference was which swayed me was the broker wanted 3% for using debit card AXA was free. making claim now with AXA very simple. went to the garage direct they qouted 11000, (AXA approved) took the qoute to AXA they halved it down to 6K went back and its being done next week for 6K