How Can I Call The Usa Cheap From My Mobile Phone?

eflont

Is there an inexpensive way to call the USA from my mobile phone? I know about Skype, but I don't have a computer at my house, and it's too inconvenient to go to an internet shop.

I tried a calling card that I got from the CAT office at Bangrak, but I found the quality was very bad. 009 works, but it is expensive.

Does anyone know of another calling card that I can try, and where I can get one? What is the cost?

Eric

One easy way if you are using AIS is just to dial *490049. There is currently a free international calls promotion.

Follow the instructions and you can call the US for free. Also China, Canada, Singapore and Hong Kong.

There is a 2 Baht charge from AIS for the local call, but no charges for the international service.

If you aren't using AIS, I would recommend Deedial (www.deedial.com). You can register your phone and get 10 minutes free. After that, their rates to the US are about 1 baht, and you can top up at Counter Service at any 7-11.

Another way is truphone.com. If you have the right kind of phone you can make VOIP calls through your mobile. (so long as you have wireless access to the internet.) Their tarrifs change all the time, but at the moment I think calls to all US numbers are free.

I use it on a Nokia N95 and it works perfectly with better call quality than a normal call.

When you dial and you're in an area with wireless internet the phone asks if you want to make a call via internet or normal voice, so its really easy to use.

One easy way if you are using AIS is just to dial *490049. There is currently a free international calls promotion.

Follow the instructions and you can call the US for free. Also China, Canada, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Thanks Greg!

I just tried this. Very convenient and good quality. Any idea how long this promotion will last?

Regards,

Eric

There is a 2 Baht charge from AIS for the local call, but no charges for the international service.

If you aren't using AIS, I would recommend Deedial (www.deedial.com). You can register your phone and get 10 minutes free. After that, their rates to the US are about 1 baht, and you can top up at Counter Service at any 7-11.

Hey, this promo sounds good. Do you know how long it will last? Also how did you learn of this promo? Im sure AIS has other deals they offer.

Just tried the *49009 call & it went through just fine. After about 30 minutes the call disconnected. I checked the baht left on my phone & it showed 1.72. I had over 100 baht on the phone prior to making this call. Looks like I got charged normal rates. Oh well, TIT.

Thanks Greg!

I just tried this. Very convenient and good quality. Any idea how long this promotion will last?

Hey, this promo sounds good. Do you know how long it will last? Also how did you learn of this promo? Im sure AIS has other deals they offer.

A friend of mine told me about this. No idea how long it will last. Like all promotions, I assume it depends on the response.

Just tried the *49009 call & it went through just fine. After about 30 minutes the call disconnected. I checked the baht left on my phone & it showed 1.72. I had over 100 baht on the phone prior to making this call. Looks like I got charged normal rates. Oh well, TIT.

I just checked this. Started with 154.01. Called for 3 minutes. Ending balance was 147.59. So I got dinged 6.42 Baht for airtime. Comes out to 2 Baht/min (plus 7% VAT)

Still alot better than what I was paying for 009. Hope they keep this promotion for awhile. Very convenient.

Regards,

Eric

Just went to the web site. You get 15 minutes free (20 Bhat) when you register. Not sure why the recording says FREE international call, when they mean 15 minutes free. Anyway, seems to be a good deal at 1.25 bhat p/minute. Plus you can program all your US #'s into Smartcall, & just dial a local # & get connected straight thru. Only problem is you have to call for a password & the lady, although very nice, does not speak good English. It appears the system password is "pass1234" . Then you can change to your own.

All in all, looks like a good & efficient system. (Shaking head violently...) what did I just say, "a good & efficient system"....IN THAILAND?????..... I must have gone round the bend.

Please Listen CAREFULLY!!! IT"S NOT AIS SERVICE BUT FROM DDIAL!!!!!

THanks..

I just went to Rebtel. Checked rates & lo & behold, it's not available "FROM" Thailand at this time.

In addition to it's non existence here, if it was available, you only get 10 minutes free once you register.

If, like me, you do not have broadband, DeeDial seems to be the way to go.

Edited by Tagaa