19 Inch Widescreen

canuckamuck

I am looking to replace some of my monitors. I prefer to run tandem monitors so 19 inch is my size preference. I get the impression that Viewsonic and Samsung are the way to go, but it is difficult to find good comparisons. I am also confused by the contrast ratio. Is 8000:1 considereably different that 2000:1?

I often send graphics and photos to print so I would prefer the most accurate image, not so concerned about speed. But I need DVI, and HDMI might be good in the future. I also want widescreen, matte screen if possible.

Does any one out there have any helpful information about this category?

PS: I am shopping in Thailand.

There is some good reponses to the 22inch widescreen thread. but no takers on this thread about 19 inch. Surely someone out there must have some knowledge about the current 19's?

It would be a shame to just go out and buy a couple and find out I picked the loser.

Im in the market for a new screen myself, I play online games and like to watch movies on my pc, should i go with 19 inch or 22? also which brand is the best? I live in a studio apartment, so my room aint that big lol, also id like to be future proof, so I need something i can use for the next 5 years on.

I am looking to replace some of my monitors. I prefer to run tandem monitors so 19 inch is my size preference. I get the impression that Viewsonic and Samsung are the way to go, but it is difficult to find good comparisons. I am also confused by the contrast ratio. Is 8000:1 considereably different that 2000:1?

I often send graphics and photos to print so I would prefer the most accurate image, not so concerned about speed. But I need DVI, and HDMI might be good in the future. I also want widescreen, matte screen if possible.

I have a 19 inch Samsung that I am happy with. I chose it because of the low response time because I play games from time to time.

A higher contrast ratio gives you brighter whites and deeper dark images. This in turn gives you brighter colors.

I bought a new monitor a few months ago - Samsung 19" 943BWX Widescreen and aside from a very stiff initial tiltintg mechanism I am pleased with it. it has an 8000:1 contrast ratio which was the highest I could find. I think I payed about aroud 7650THB fior it at IT City Panthip. I have it connected to my laptop and have the laptop display off. This is an awesome LCD - it's just the right size.

caution: on my LCD, the stand initial would not tilt at all. I brought the piece back to IT City and they directed me to Samsung. I brought the piece to Samsung and the guy there tried to tell me that the model i had did not tilt. Then I scolded him a bit : what the **** kind of modern day LCD monitor doesn't tilt - does that make any sene to you? He then made a phone call - the guy on the other end was telling him the monitor tilted and he was tell the guy it doesn't tilt. Then he got off the phone went into the back and came back after a while. He showed me that by putting all of his weight on the mechanismn and bracing it against the desk, he could tilt it. I tried it myself and nearly broke my thumb. Anyway i brought it home and it tilts though it requires a bit more force then you are expecting - and requires two hands.

I have a 19 inch Samsung that I am happy with. I chose it because of the low response time because I play games from time to time.

A higher contrast ratio gives you brighter whites and deeper dark images. This in turn gives you brighter colors.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Does anybody here have experience sending images to print (commercial applications).

I ask this because I am wondering if a high contrast range 8000:1 for exmple will give an unrealistic onscreen image that will later turn out flat. I see there is a real trend towards oversaturated images from TV's these days. Print can't reproduce those colors. If the same is true for monitors, I think a low range might be safer.

I've just purchased a Fujitsu 19" matt wide screen as a fill-in whilst my 19" Viewsonic is being repaired and I'm very impressed. It wasn't really meant to be anything more than a temporary replacement but I suspect it outperforms the Viewsonic.

Cheap also (I think) at 6,500 baht.

I calibrated the monitor with a Spyder Pro tool and it was spot on out of the box.

This hopefully will ease yours fears about the printing issue. My images print exactly as I see them.

I've just purchased a Fujitsu 19" matt wide screen as a fill-in whilst my 19" Viewsonic is being repaired and I'm very impressed. It wasn't really meant to be anything more than a temporary replacement but I suspect it outperforms the Viewsonic.

I calibrated the monitor with a Spyder Pro tool and it was spot on out of the box.

This hopefully will ease yours fears about the printing issue. My images print exactly as I see them.

I have tried a few incarnations of the Spyder, I've never seen it work, however their prodcuts have been around for at least 10 years so they must work for somebody. how much did yours cost and can you get one in Thailand?

I have tried a few incarnations of the Spyder, I've never seen it work, however their prodcuts have been around for at least 10 years so they must work for somebody. how much did yours cost and can you get one in Thailand?

FotoFile in MBK Bangkok - bought mine at 15,000 baht

http://www.fotofile.net/product_cate.php?qid=18

I just bought a Samsung 943BWX for 6000Bt from Tawanna IT next to the Mall Bangkapi. I'm pleased as punch with it.

And yesterday I bought a PS3 for 15k from MBK. I don't suppose there's any way of converting the video output of a PS3 to go into the monitor, is there?