Troll

Moonrakers

From the Forum Rules:

Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them.

Also, from Wikipedia:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Someone who posts controversial , irrelevant or off topic messages

"Controversial" is OK. Indeed a controvesial thread often makes a successful thread.

Intent is involved. Controversy for the purpose of just stirring up trouble.

A succinct meaning for "troll' might be "internet forum troublemaker"

At ThaiVisa, "troll" is often batted about simply to discredit a poster. In that case the meaning becomes pretty broad. A serious troll can be banned by the mods. If you think you've identified a troll, use the "report" button on a post.

P.S. Edit note: Written before mod's post, above.

Edited by toptuan

According to the Oxford Dictionary it used to mean :-

troll1

/trol, trol/

• noun (in folklore) an ugly cave-dwelling being depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.

— ORIGIN originally in the sense witch: from Old Norse and Swedish troll, Danish trold.

"So take that you ugly cave-dwelling Scandanavian dwarf."......... :o

I keep seeing thhe word "Troll" pop up in threads, I.E.: the poster is aTROLL.

I am guessing that it is an acronym for something, but for what? I can't figure this one out. :o:D

Could somebody enlighten me please.

Here's a couple of threads regarding the subject:

What Is A Troll? (from Forum Support)

Troll (from Forum Support)

Those threads should answer most of your questions.

I keep seeing thhe word "Troll" pop up in threads, I.E.: the poster is aTROLL.

I am guessing that it is an acronym for something, but for what? I can't figure this one out. :o:D

Could somebody enlighten me please.

If, like me, you are not exactly up to date with internet slang, (indeed I am still bordering on the semi-literate), then what you need to do is go to Wiktionary and look up "internet slang". I did this and then saved it on my favourites page so that I could constantly refer to it. By the way, I have just revealed to you my complete level of knowledge and competence on my computer.

I never could understand what pleasure he could derive from spending so much time insulting others.

:D

It must have made him feel like...

trollyat.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Mr. Chairman. I have here in my hand a list of card carrying Trolls.

they need to add one more thing to the definition: "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or ........... disrupt normal on-topic discussion", is someone who posts in an attempt to turn the thread to their own agenda.

I'll look for trolls the next time I see a normal on-topic discussion.

I thought that trolls collected a toll if you wanted to cross the bridge over their cave.