Uk Settlement Q's

Hi guys,

Few Q's i have been wondering about since my Thai wife joined me in UK in May on a settlement visa.

My wife has changed her name on her passport to 'Mrs' and taken my last name, however because we intend to maybe purchase a house in TL in the future, she will still assume 'miss' and her maiden name for when she is in TL, this apparently means when she buys anything or go anywhere they wont know she is married to a farang so will charge her 'Thai' rates instead of 'farang rates' but is this legit to do this?

Next Q's is about passports, when she gets Uk citizenship(i hope!) will she have 2 passports? one in UK with her married name, and her original one in TL in her maiden name, I think because she would need to prove she is Thai for house purchase or other things etc

What happens to me if in years to come, we have a home in TL and my wife dies, do i lose home because its in her name?

Also can my wife open a ISA in the Uk on a settlement visa, or when would she be able to open one?

Thanks in advance

newstart

My wife has changed her name on her passport to 'Mrs' and taken my last name, however because we intend to maybe purchase a house in TL in the future, she will still assume 'miss' and her maiden name for when she is in TL, this apparently means when she buys anything or go anywhere they wont know she is married to a farang so will charge her 'Thai' rates instead of 'farang rates' but is this legit to do this?

Don't know about legitamacy, but there is no need to do it, just pay what the going rate is, or what you are prepared to pay.

Next Q's is about passports, when she gets Uk citizenship(i hope!) will she have 2 passports?

If she wants to.

one in UK with her married name, and her original one in TL in her maiden name, I think because she would need to prove she is Thai for house purchase or other things etc

She doesn't need the passport to prove she is Thai.

Also can my wife open a ISA in the Uk on a settlement visa, or when would she be able to open one?

Yes

What happens to me if in years to come, we have a home in TL and my wife dies, do i lose home because its in her name?

Don't know, but try the question Here I think it has been answered before.

Moss

Hi guys,

Few Q's i have been wondering about since my Thai wife joined me in UK in May on a settlement visa.

Next Q's is about passports, when she gets Uk citizenship(i hope!) will she have 2 passports? one in UK with her married name, and her original one in TL in her maiden name, I think because she would need to prove she is Thai for house purchase or other things etc

Thanks in advance

newstart

Hi,

I note that your wife has already changed her name to yours in her Thai passport, can you confirm if yourwife also changed her name on her Thai Identity Card as well?

I know that my wife changed her her name on her I.D.card before changing her name in her passport for some reason, I may be in error but I would have thought the Passport Staff might have required your wife to produce her I.D.card to back up the marriage certificate, certainly it has a photo of your wife unlike the wedding Certificate.

When you say she has changed her name in her passport, is this a new passport showing you family name or is it passport

My reason for asking is that I recall being told that most ladies present the original passport details when travelling independently or land transactions, not sure its legal but I am sure smeone else can cover that point.

Lets be a bit more positive please and say when rather than if she gets a uk passport, yes she can keep both passports and should do so.

I think I am right in saying that if your wife owned land and passed away this land could pass to you but you would have to dispose of it within 12 months as farangs are not allowed to own land.

I hope this helps a bit

roy gsd

My wife has changed her name on her passport to 'Mrs' and taken my last name, however because we intend to maybe purchase a house in TL in the future, she will still assume 'miss' and her maiden name for when she is in TL,

Does her pp details page actually have your name or is there an endorsement further inside detailing the name change, because if anybody goes searching that far, just to charge farang rates as such, I wouldn't be dealing with them.

Moss

My wife has changed her name on her passport to 'Mrs' and taken my last name, however because we intend to maybe purchase a house in TL in the future, she will still assume 'miss' and her maiden name for when she is in TL,

Does her pp details page actually have your name or is there an endorsement further inside detailing the name change, because if anybody goes searching that far, just to charge farang rates as such, I wouldn't be dealing with them.

Moss

contray to what mossfinn said, your thai wife can NOT open a ISA unless she has a national insurance number, she will not be given a NI number unless she can prove she is seeking work, ie job interviews (notice of) or even so you did not get he job.

Edited by micky44

contray to what mossfinn said, your thai wife can NOT open a ISA unless she has a national insurance number, she will not be given a NI number unless she can prove she is seeking work, ie job interviews (notice of) or even so you did not get he job.
contray to what mossfinn

Could you elaborate please?

The question was:

My answer was,

Yes

And my answer is still yes, would you like to dispute it? The fact there are qualifications is not the point, he asked a question I answered it, I am right and your use of the term, ' contray' ( sic ) is wrong, as it would suggest, nay state that my answer is wrong. Every question on this forum cannot have a comprehensive and exhaustive list and dialogue, it would be unmanageable and in a lot of cases indecipherable.

Lets be a bit more positive please and say when rather than if she gets a uk passport,

I agree with this, once you have gone through the hurdles of settlement, Brit Cit is a stroll in the park if you have followed the rules of your visa, there are several options, just choose the one most suited for your situation.

Moss

Thanks guys for your comprehensive answers, appreciate it alot! To answer some of your Q's only her passport has changed, she has not changed ID card or anything else, its her original (old) passport with a new page put in with the name change(i think!) and then details of the settlement visa in another page. Everything else ID card, family book thingy, bank accounts, car loan she still has is still in her maiden name.

With regards to her NI, she already has a full time job, which she got totally off her own back 2 weeks after coming to UK(cant believe LOL!) and we applied for her NI number about 2 weeks ago now, so she should get this very soon, so no probs opening an ISA?

But she does seem very adamant that if we buy a home or anything in TL if Thai's see she is married to a farang guy, they will up the rates, even on taxi fares?? lol

I have already seen in the small print of companies selling condo's and homes that they charge Thai rates and foreiger rates(how the eck can they do this?)

What im worried about on the home front is that IF we retire to TL in many years to come and my wife dies before me, i will be left with no home? But she says she can make a will allowing me to stay in it until i die, and then it returns to her family. can she do this? i dont want to be left homeless in TL when im 95!(LOLO)

Edited by newstart07

Can any one tell me the advantage of name changing on the Thai passport side of things not the problems the advantage?

newstart07 Also how is your wife settling is she getting on ok?

ps (the motor trade on my return is def harder than a year ago mate)

Absolutly not correct information.

If your wife has a Spouse visa when applies for a N.I. Number it will be provided usually within 3 weeks, a short interview where the marriage certificate and other documentation is produced and copies taken is all that is required.

Roy gsd