Is This A Good Deal?

I've been offered a Toyota Altis E-class 2004, 70,000km for 450,000 Bt. One lady owner from new, and only one mild shunt. Is this a good deal? I've never bothered with cars before in Thailand, and I'll have to sort out 1st class insurance (any recommendations?). The deal is that she owes 13 months credit at 11,000 a month, and I pay her the balance in cash. She got it repaired at Cockpit, which I've seen from other threads is a very naughty company, and it needs some suspension fixing that they cocked-up.

Opinions?

Cheers...

I've been offered a Toyota Altis E-class 2004, 70,000km for 450,000 Bt. One lady owner from new, and only one mild shunt. Is this a good deal? I've never bothered with cars before in Thailand, and I'll have to sort out 1st class insurance (any recommendations?). The deal is that she owes 13 months credit at 11,000 a month, and I pay her the balance in cash. She got it repaired at Cockpit, which I've seen from other threads is a very naughty company, and it needs some suspension fixing that they cocked-up.

Opinions?

Cheers...

what size engine is it? it sounds expensive to me.

That 300K figure is an awfully good price.

This site has a 2005 E1.6 for sale at 550K.

http://www.expatmotors.co.th/stock.html

Even if you just rented the car at 11K/mo, that would

be less than half what an agency will charge you.

If the car is in good shape, sounds like it is at least a

fair deal. And Toyota makes a very good reliable car.

But I am prejudiced as I own a 2005 E1.8 and love it.

Cheers

Edited by paulfr

Had a shunt

Fixed by possibly a dodgy place

Has finance on ite value

Needs work

Sounds like to many red flags to me

Check the new price etc.

Hi,

My opinion is that it is a fair deal

But I'd recommend to:

- have the car checked by a Toyota dealer of YOUR choice (Engine, crash, etc...)

- Check the price of equivalent offers in some websites or NP

- Contact the finance company to check by yourself terms of the contract, and if it is OK for you to take over

Keep in mind that Corolla is very popular in Thailand, it is a very reliable car, and you can find plenty of offers (2nd hand). No need to rush then !

Good luck

why not just settle the finance and buy it properly,.( in your name ) too many things can go wrong here,this was a scam years ago called TOP in the states, what can you do if after you have paid this hefty deposit and a few montly payments and wake one morning to it being gone,the cars not yours,..the cars not even cheap,.dont take any chances in thailand,a frind of mine bought a car off a thai lady for cash,put it in his name, 2 months later a very irate farang was knocking on his door saying his thai wife did not have his permission to sell ! ,..it didnt matter as the car was legally his but it was a sad ugly scene,.

Thanks for your ideas. So I should:

Check it at a Toyota dealer;

Check the finance;

if all is well then I go with owner to pay off finance and it's done. (Or I am...)

Sorted!

From the insurance side, please ask her for a copy of the policy and email it to Thai Visa Insurance for a quotation – has to be comparable to keep the Finance people happy.

Insurance @thaivisa.com

Where is here the problem? A new one cost between 7++k and 9++k. so the price of 450k isn't bad at all. Make en apointmenet with the finance company and her together and clear the all the payments cash and handover the restamount to her in cash and let register the car in your name. I don't see any problem with that. Fixing suspension will not that much for a altis. Go for it!