Bangkok Bus Causes 13-vehicle Pileup At Expressway Exit

george

No-140 bus causes 13-vehicle pileup at expressway exit

BANGKOK: -- A No-140 air-conditioned bus developed a brake malfunction and slammed into another bus, causing a pileup of 13 vehicles.

The accident happened at 8 am at the Phetchaburi exit.

Somboon Wiangsamut, 28, the drive of the No-140 bus said he was driving at a normal speed when he was approaching the exit where many cars were stopped in traffic light.

He said he tried to put a brake on but the brake system malfunctioned so he slammed into the back of No-139 bus, which crashed into vehicles ahead of it.

But nobody was injured in the 13-vehicle pileup.

-- The Nation 2008-06-30

Before I even read the post I already knew it was a brake malfunction of some type. Next time you're on one of those buses just listen and pay attention to how the bus reacts and sounds when it brakes. It'll make you never want to ride in another one again heh.

I am wondering if the company in question would be VIP. Over the last 3 months I have seen 4 double deckers either being towed in or in the shed awaiting extensive repairs after going over on one side (one had more turf inside than a football pitch.

The Bus station I witnessed these events was Khon Kaen and I very rarely go past it so now do your sums and work out how many buses involved in accidents I would see if I stood there for a year then times that by all the other bus stations doing repairs. This company is the pitts and a serious threat to life, be warned dont travel on them.

I am wondering who issues this guys licence and are his crashes made public knowledge. If any of you are interested at the time one bus was being towed in MR ..... 15,000,000 baht Merc was being cleaned by bus cleaning staff and there was not a mark on it.... Travel Nakon Chai Air two drivers for the trip to BKK for 60 baht more.

I will take my camera there shortly but the pics will have an 18+ rating so put the kids in bed first

As an ex Motor Vehicle Examiner with the Hong Kong Government, 99.999% of traffic accidents were blamed by the drivers as a mechanical failure. In 95% of the cases I proved them wrong in the HK Law Courts. So reading of a Braking malfunction in this case does not surprise me. Its a drivers typical first line of defence.

Even had one case where a TRAM driver stated that the accident was not his fault, he had swerved to avoid the accident with a cement truck but swerved too late. Go figure that one out !

No-140 bus causes 13-vehicle pileup at expressway exit

BANGKOK: -- A No-140 air-conditioned bus developed a brake malfunction and slammed into another bus, causing a pileup of 13 vehicles.

The accident happened at 8 am at the Phetchaburi exit.

Somboon Wiangsamut, 28, the drive of the No-140 bus said he was driving at a normal speed when he was approaching the exit where many cars were stopped in traffic light.

He said he tried to put a brake on but the brake system malfunctioned so he slammed into the back of No-139 bus, which crashed into vehicles ahead of it.

But nobody was injured in the 13-vehicle pileup.

-- The Nation 2008-06-30

One is pleased to read that at least he had the courtesy to hang around and make these comments. Most of these 'sky-pilots' have vanished before the dust has settled. :o