How Do I Upgrade Pcmcia Slot In Ibm Laptop

fisherd3

I have recently bought a PCMCIA card that gives me 2 USB2 inputs , how to use the installation disc is not very clear, but I have gathered in my attempts to install it that the firmware running the PCMCIA slot is 16bit and the card is 32 bit.

The machine is a quite old IBM 240 I have been to the IBM site from which I have gleaned nothing though I suspect the answer may lie here, I have been to microsoft and not found the answer. Utilising downloads from the IBM site seems difficult for me as it seems to alway talk of creating a diskette but as I don't have a floppy drive , and as IBM must know some of its computers do not have a floppy drive this seems difficult considering most downloads just arrive on hard disc and get clicked to open.

Any ideas please?

fisherd3

I have recently bought a PCMCIA card that gives me 2 USB2 inputs , how to use the installation disc is not very clear, but I have gathered in my attempts to install it that the firmware running the PCMCIA slot is 16bit and the card is 32 bit.

The machine is a quite old IBM 240 I have been to the IBM site from which I have gleaned nothing though I suspect the answer may lie here, I have been to microsoft and not found the answer. Utilising downloads from the IBM site seems difficult for me as it seems to alway talk of creating a diskette but as I don't have a floppy drive , and as IBM must know some of its computers do not have a floppy drive this seems difficult considering most downloads just arrive on hard disc and get clicked to open.

Any ideas please?

fisherd3

I dont know much about PCMCIA but it would be a big supprise if a 32bit card works in a 16bit PCMCIA slot, its a completely different architecture :o Cant see any software or firmware fixing this for you...

The PCMCIA slot for the notebook is sort of like the expansion slots in a normal PC. If you have an older notebook, you'll have 16-bit slots, like the old black AT slots of PCs. If you have a newer notebook, they will be 32 bit cardbus slots (and any cards requiring a 32 bit slot will have a gold plate at the connector), like a PC's PCI slot. A 16-bit card can be put in a 32 bit slot, but not the other way around. There is no changing or upgrading the slot, it is permanent. You have two choices: get a 16 bit card, or get a new laptop.