Percentage Of Farangs In Thailand Who Are Here For Sex?

bonobo

Mr. Hedonist, I contend that Bonobo is a very amateur sociologist as in my experience most men under the age of 70 have

sex on their mind even if the ability is lacking.

If Bonobo hasn't yet sussed this out I would earnestly advise him not to give up his day job just yet.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 50 years old, an age where sex and companionship is very easy to get back in the US. I am average looking, I have a pretty good physique, and I am fairly well off financially. But any hetro guy my age in the US is able to find dates.

You must be VERY well off. I haven't been in America for 20 years, but I have friends with all the same qualifications and they all say that it is impossible to get laid at 50.

Do you have anything in common with John Holmes? :o

There aren't many single 50 year old fish in the sea. Unlike Thailand there also aren't many young single women looking for well off older men. That said, it is possible with a good amount of effort to get laid. Looks and age are going to be more closely alligned and maybe your friends can't handle this reality.

It isn't as simple as being like John Holmes and if it were, I would have never been laid.

Please, I mean this most seriously. I am an amateur sociologist and have published often on sociological subjects. So why people do what they do fascinates me.

I have often heard that 10% of all tourists to Thailand are sex tourists. I am not so sure that number is valid, but be that as it may. However, I have long been under the impression that most farangs living in Thailand are here either because of work or are here because they married a Thai national, and living with him or her in Thailand is preferable for cost-of-living or other reasons than living back at home.

But from casual reading of the posts, it seems that no matter the subject, many posters make either sexual comments or refer to the bar scene, bar girls, etc.

There are a lot of women who post here, and despite threads in the women's forum like the beach boy thread, I can't imagine that too many women come to Thailand for sex. I may be stereotyping here, I know, but I just can't see it.

For the men who regulary post and continually refer to sex, are these men who came here and live here for that, or are they here for other reasons but take advantage of the sexual opportunities? Or could they be just making comments without regard to their actual lifestyles?

And when I read the cynicism of many posters who seem to dislike everything about Thailand, I wonder what keeps them here. At the risk of unsubstantiated conjecture, could it be the relatively easy access to sex with younger women?

I have met expats all over the world and in countries where sex is not readily available. But most places do not have the numbers of expats that exist in Thailand.

I am not castigating anyone here. I am just genuinely curious. And while I know I can't get any firm scientifically valid answers here, I would love to hear thoughts, comments, opinions, and reasons people have on the subject.

Since living in Thailand I have had the least amount of sex in my marriared life. That is what happens when you move from the western world and move into her families home etc. The husband becomes another person in the pot, and the marriage turns from a relationship, to something you did... "got married."

Mr. Hedonist, I contend that Bonobo is a very amateur sociologist as in my experience most men under the age of 70 have

sex on their mind even if the ability is lacking.

If Bonobo hasn't yet sussed this out I would earnestly advise him not to give up his day job just yet.

Agree, but they also enjoy other activities during their down time. Sex wasn't the main reason I lived in Thailand. I was able to multi task and partake in other endeavors. I think that is what makes sexually healthy x-pats different than the common rabbit.

The gonna say it aint the sex, but its the sex!

IF THAILANDIS SUCH A GREAT PLACE WOULD THESE GUYS WHO ARE NOT HERE FOR THE SEX WANT THEIR KIDS RAISED HERE.

personally i who loves bkk nightlife wouldnt want a kid raised here, bkk i s for adults only.

Edited by cynthialee

IF THAILANDIS SUCH A GREAT PLACE WOULD THESE GUYS WHO ARE NOT HERE FOR THE SEX WANT THEIR KIDS RAISED HERE

Judging from posts here, and from looking around at so many foreigners raising kids in Thailand, I think I can safely answer that one with a 'yes'. Though quite obvoiusly many others would not want to raise kids in Thailand, and I have severe reservations on this myself; however none of those reservations have anything to do with sex or nightlife.

(In the unlikely event anyone'd ask, those reservations revolve around safety, environmental pollution, expense of an education approaching Western standards, legal security/lawlessness and perhaps some others I can't think of right now).

Nothing wrong with a couple bars tho; kids don't typically go to bars so I think I can safely call this a non-issue, and as you see above I'm not blind to the negatives!

• 2 weeks later...
There's nothing wrong with sex, it's just the way that you handle it (Chuck Berry).

So I don't see any point in the question which percentage come to Thailand only for sex.

Why not question which percentage come only for the Thai food?

May be the question only reflects the prejudices, obsessions and repression of sex in the western world.

This repression leads to an excessive and unnatural interest in the subject.

Good point, dutchguest.

SORRY FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!

I have been reading ad naseum all the other threads of a "worse" nature such as cheating on wives and infidelity, and there were many thoughtful posts on them amongst the pablum. And from reading other postings here in TV, I was beginning to wonder if more men than I had previously thought were here in Thailand for that one thing. Simple curiousity without meaning to judge anyone.

But so many have taken offense to this thread and have completey missed my points that it was obviously a bad idea. I thought there would be a less emotional response and more revealing thoughts and opinions. I was wrong.

So sorry.

(For the record, I am here because my work is here. Most of my friends are Thai (I got my doctorate with them), and I like Thai culture, but without my business being here, I would live back home.)

Nothing wrong with the thread. The OP was a little wordy and too many are too focussed on flaming and not answering the uncomfortable question.

The first time I came to Thailand was when I was 30. The previous year I spent travelling in Latin America and Europe. Thailand was my last stop. My parents lived in Thailand when I was very young and it seemed like an interesting place.

Planned on touring the country on my bicycle for six months. I stayed for 4 years - the beautiful and available women was what probably kept me from leaving. Thailand almost ruined me financially and it took me a couple years to recover my senses. At one point, down to my last 400,000 bt, I almost decided to stay and work in Thailand. I ultimately realized my reasons for staying weren't the right ones and returned to America.

As for how many come for the sex, I don't have a clue.

why else live here?

Mr. Hedonist, I contend that Bonobo is a very amateur sociologist

I consider myself an amateur gynocologist; no experience but I'll look into it for you :-)

Ooh, ooh !

I am a part-time gynocologist but I am trying to keep my hand in :o

• 2 months later...
99.9% are here for sex and the rest are liars. :o

Thailand have drop the sex tourism and Cambodia and Vietnam have been more intresting now maybe because of economic reasons maybe.

I have seen tousands of sex-workers that have to struggle for their surviving and its less customers or sexbuyers that have tousands of willing ladies to choose between so Thailand have become less interesting for sextourism.

the next old wrinkly ass white guy that takes no notice of me and decides to check out my girlfriend is getting a punch.

we are both 18 and when we are together, i can expect the stares that we get constantly from thai and non thai generally interested to see a young westerner and thai girl together, but from some old, hairy, ugly, fat white guy looking at my girlfriend - no thanks.

in answer to the question, i'd say nearly all the people who you would expect by 1st appearances who couldn't get a girlfriend in their own country that are in thailand are here for sex (harsh, but true).

Minus the 'real' tourists.

probably leaves about 20-30% 'genuine' cases.

edit: the first line is sarcasm :o

Edited by Enjibenji

i would say 75% come for the sex..(with much younger women )..now when i say this its because..i lived in thailand and seen nothing but 60-70 year old guys with 18-25 year old women..now if guys 60-70 years old could find a 18-25 year old girls to be their girlfriend or wife..in their own country why go to thailand..i went their with my wife we been together 12 years..but if not my fear of aids in thailand..and thais have big mouths and love to tell stories about you..i would have been screwing like a rabbit when my wife went back to usa for visits..so its the young..cheese..that guys go to thailand for..that they can not get in their own countries..thats what your research should be looking at..

If its only the older people, (like some people think it is) who are here for younger girls and sex, then why over the last 10 years we have seen a big increase in youger people from all walks of life in the world coming to Thailand. I didnt see many young people in 1995, 2000 did you.

If you think Thailand or Asia is the only place for Sex, you need to Travel a bit, try Africa or South America.

For the people who live here, the could be a thousand reasons why, but its easier to label people the same isnt it.

My wife studied sociology after 10 years of marriage, thats why we are now divorced I guess.

I have many work friends who live in Thailand, some I worked with over 20 years ago In other countries, they had more sex in them countries than what they do in Thailand. Do you know why, they have seen it, done it and got the T-shirt, but with Thailand they can relate with there friends as they are in the same game for many years and just couldnt live in there home country again.

Difficult to understand for some, but true.

:o

we are both 18 and when we are together, i can expect the stares that we get constantly from thai and non thai generally interested to see a young westerner and thai girl together, but from some old, hairy, ugly, fat white guy looking at my girlfriend - no thanks.

Nothing wrong with that. Having a fat old guy looking at your girlfriend is a merely a flattering compliment about your good choice.

It'd be a different matter if he asks how much she charges for S/T.

Nothing wrong with that. Having a fat old guy looking at your girlfriend is a merely a flattering compliment about your good choice.

It'd be a different matter if he asks how much she charges for S/T.

that was some american guy on kao sarn with his friend about 2 weeks ago joking about, laughing.

don't worry i let him know how i felt. i didn't find it funny.

My wife is a looker and so often attracts stares from other men.

It really doesn't bother me and in fact I even quite like it because it tells me that I have something that they want but can't have :o

*edit. Just to clarify, I did mean Looker and not Hooker.

Edited by globalj

Please, I mean this most seriously. I am an amateur sociologist and have published often on sociological subjects. So why people do what they do fascinates me.

I have often heard that 10% of all tourists to ....

the empirical approach in social research always got called amateurish by real sociologists.

and i think you can still get your pie chart Ph.D. try harder.

Coincidently enough, I do have a Ph.D. Not in any subject approaching sociology, though.

the next old wrinkly ass white guy that takes no notice of me and decides to check out my girlfriend is getting a punch.

Well, I am not fat! (As to the rest of your description, well...)

Looking at younger girls is not something which happens only in Thailand. I think I will be looking at younger women until they plant me in the earth. And if a young couple strolls by, no I am guessing I won't be checking out the guy, only the girl. :o

My ex is a very, very pretty woman, and whenever we were out, she would get checked out continually. I took it as a compliment. And when I take a glance at a woman walking by, I try not to drool or do anything extraordinary, but a simple look is human nature.

As an aside of interest to probably no one, I had a very attractive redhead as my wife in the US, and now that I am in Thailand, I have a reasonably attractive Thai woman as my companion, a year older than my ex-wife, but much more affectionate, and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by bonobo