The Best And Safestway To Go To Langkawi From Bkk-thailand ?

North

Hi all,

I would like to visit Langkawi, but I don´t like to fly, so I am looking for the best and safest way by landtransport / ship.

When I mention safety I am particularly thinking of the safety in the south of Thailand when travelling there.

Any suggestions appreciated !

North

Bus from Bangkok to Satun. Boat from Satun to Langkawi. Very easy and only dangerous if you get a crazy bus driver! :o

Did you try that yourself ?

Where can you get on the bus in Bangkok ?

What company ?

North

I did - more or less - same, but in stages.

Simply use some common sense: you dont really have to know everyhting. Obviously the one and only busstation to head for will be the NEW Sai Thai=southern terminal, moved since late '07. The name of the comp you wont be able to read anyway, what is more imptt is to decide before if you want 1st=blue or 2nd=orange class. Then simply read the signing when tehre or ask, smile, please too. Besides: hese long routes tend to be served on a day1=comp A, day2=comp B etc. cycle.

The alt for all those fearing too much Thai buses is to book yourself on a train to Haad yai and then get a bus Satul bound from there- to repeat again the fairly obvious; ANY local tuktukdriver will know where they lve and can bring you. When in Satul TOWN youll have to find your way to the port=harbour, a ocal tuktuk or for those who are truly adventurous can use the local fixed songhthaew route. In LOW season there are 2 boats, in high maybe more. In high also the odd longer-dist boat from Phuket, but you did not state for when. Allthe lately reported violence has been far east of Haad yai.

I think there is at least ONE comfortable VIP-24-Bus a day going all the way down to Satun (and back). but u would probably have to investigate at MORCHIT BUSSTATION in person. but its a 15 hours ride or so..... flying to Hat Yai would be sooooo much more convenient....

the Andaman coast south of Krabi has not seen any insurgency-related violence and is certainly one of the safest areas in the entire kingdom....

Thank you all for your information.

Does anyone know, if it is possible to get an re-entry permit at the immigration point in Satun (also in the weekend ) ?

North

Train Krung Thip - Butterworth (near Penang) then bus / ferry to Langkawi. Easy.

this would make the trip 10 hours longer than necessary (train/plane to Hat Yai, then Minibus to Satun, then ferry, or, even better: VIP-Bus all the way down to Satun).

I dont think u will be able to get such a re-entry permit, its a very very small immigration-post out there at the ferry station. you could try your luck at the immigration in satun Town, though.

I guess the best idea would be, to let a Thai person call the Immigration office in Satun town and speak to them regarding your request